DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 11/13/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Guest The Magnificent 7

I didn’t catch this week lice and am only half way through the show. Thoughts so far...

MJF and Jericho were gold. 

Marko Stunt has to be lights out at all times athletically in order to make up for the size limitation and it’s just not happening. That botch is something he can’t afford when Ray Fenix does mind boggling rope flippy stuff. One just cannot visually ignore things like the small statute and spectacle of tagging in and entering the ring over the bottom rope if you’re just doing things the rest of the roster is doing like huracanranas. 

Shawn Spears entrance is so flat and sad. I can’t get into him and Janela at all. 

The Dark Order is actually entertaining and good in the ring, but apparently I am an outlier on that score. 

14 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

The Dark Order is actually entertaining and good in the ring, but apparently I am an outlier on that score. 

I've been saying this since they debuted, but at the time they got an overwhelmingly negative response here. I'm glad people are coming around to them, though. They can go in the ring and Evil Uno is a great talker.

Also, PAC/Page wasn't the 4th match. I mean, it was technically, but in AEW it's not. Last night was billed as the rubber match, even by Tony Khan at the post show media scrum after Full Gear.

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I would love a side-by-side gif of Jericho slamming the chair into the post from both Nitro and last night's show.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

If we are going to hammer home how great it is that some of these ladies have the kind of bodies that we enjoy to look at, can we also get running on how fucking GORGEOUS Jungle Boy is? Every single time I see him on TV, I find myself staring at him like we are in junior high and I have a crush. I think he's too young for me, but that doesn't take away from how handsome I think he is.

Anyway, I enjoyed the show very much, although it did feel like it was a little all over the place. MJF promo was money, but as mentioned above, he and Wardlow need to be their own deal. No Inner Circle membership, please.

That goddamn dinosaur is over as fuck. I liked that Marko was into grabbing the Creeper mask before Jungle Boy intervened and reminded him that the dino mask is where he needs to be. That shot of the three of them after Luchasaurus save was truly excellent.

PAC and Page was fun, and I liked the amping up of the brutality to beat Hangman.

I don't know who I was expecting to answer Moxley, but I popped pretty huge when Darby accepted. That match should be fun as fuck.

Santana and Ortiz are goofy as fuck. I loved the "Hey Brandon, we lied!!". The place went apeshit when the bathroom door opened for Orange Cassidy and Santana played it so great by just slowly pulling it closed.

Nyla looked a whole lot better than she has, I'm hoping she really falls into place. How much of that was Danni Jordan pinballing for her, who knows? We shall see. I wonder if the endgame with the Kong / Brandi deal is to make Nyla the big bad of the women's division? Kong keeps taking trophies and runs through everyone until she runs into Nyla. I don't think that Nyla is ready for that just yet, but I can see working out if Nyla continues to shake off the green.

I wish they would have hammered home that Nakazawa was being serious to avenge Kenny, but the announce team didn't really touch on it. And maybe they don't need to, since I certainly got it, and other folks have made mention of it as well. But if that's the story they are telling, it wouldn't have hurt to have Nakazawa get some real offense in instead of just the forearm shot at the opening.

Again, my biggest beef with the show this week is the way that commercial breaks kind of fuck up the flow. Peter Avalon was motherfucking the crowd, but I had to watch that on a picture in picture with no audio, then when they came back, he got cut off with no real finish to his shit talk. I'm sure it's a point of order, but it bugs me. Although to be fair, if that's all I can come up with to bitch about, then that's pretty great. Things like that seem to be less bothersome when the rest of the show is put together in a mostly smart manner and they are moving everything forward in logical ways.

18 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

I'm with you, I hella like them, and am way into the in-ring stuff they do. I liked that Uno is trying to build an island of misfit toys. I mean, I guess that's what the offer to bring in Marko was. Surround himself with weirdos that he can make better. Like Raven in WCW, except maybe have guys that can actually do some damage.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I wish they would have hammered home that Nakazawa was being serious to avenge Kenny, but the announce team didn't really touch on it. And maybe they don't need to, since I certainly got it, and other folks have made mention of it as well. But if that's the story they are telling, it wouldn't have hurt to have Nakazawa get some real offense in instead of just the forearm shot at the opening.

I think the only reason they had Nakazawa out there to face Moxley, fighting for Omega's honor or whatever, is because later in the show they knew they were already going to have Cody defy doctor's orders and try to fight. You don't want the same thing to happen on the show twice, since Omega also isn't medically cleared (until next week). And Nakazawa got in the right amount of offense, I thought. So far, there are three or four jobbers on the roster, and Nakazawa is one of them. You can't have him getting too much offense in on one of your very tippy top stars, even if it is just one match and there's half of a story behind said match.

What commentary should have done is flesh out what Nakazawa ended up posting to Twitter, which was something like - he knew he couldn't win a match against Moxley, but he had to try because of what Moxley did to his friend. He tried, and he definitely failed.

• Like 2

The Jurassic Express really was the high point of the show for me. I love every single bit of their act. I love how Marko becomes Jungle Boy and Jungle Boy becomes Luchasaurus when it's the two of them. I love how Luchadaurus just comes in like a pissed off mother with a chancla and beats down whomever is messing with her babies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think the only reason they had Nakazawa out there to face Moxley, fighting for Omega's honor or whatever, is because later in the show they knew they were already going to have Cody defy doctor's orders and try to fight. You don't want the same thing to happen on the show twice, since Omega also isn't medically cleared (until next week). And Nakazawa got in the right amount of offense, I thought. So far, there are three or four jobbers on the roster, and Nakazawa is one of them. You can't have him getting too much offense in on one of your very tippy top stars, even if it is just one match and there's half of a story behind said match.

What commentary should have done is flesh out what Nakazawa ended up posting to Twitter, which was something like - he knew he couldn't win a match against Moxley, but he had to try because of what Moxley did to his friend. He tried, and he definitely failed.

All really excellent points. I didn't mean that he needed to plaster Moxley with bombs, but a little bit more would have been a nice touch.

Also, I went and checked his Twitter. This is the shit.

That is some real deal feelings type shit for pro wrestling, and I love it. "I didn't want the friendship to just be given. I wanted to deserve it." That is fucking AWESOME.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 9

When AEW was first taking off I really thought JR was a weak point on commentary. He sounded unenthused, indifferent, and not all that up on the wrestlers (granted some of his inflection and lack thereof is due to his medical condition). After Full Gear and tonight's show I'm coming around on him. He's starting to sound more like the JR of old who is actually into the product and familiar with the talent.

• Like 2

If Guevara came in and did the Alex Wright dance I'd lose my shit. 

Speaking of which, whenever the Rock'n'Rolls appear again with the Bucks to get their revenge the crowd is gonna do just that. Needs to be somewhere in the South for sure. I was laughing at how LAX couldn't even be arsed to make an actual bullseye; why not draw an 'X' then? Just a circle?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was laughing at how LAX couldn't even be arsed to make an actual bullseye; why not draw an 'X' then? Just a circle?

Well at least they could have drawn another circle, inside the first circle, and it would have been on brand...

(Don’t kill me, I’m practising my dad jokes!)

I could probably do without the contrived powerbomb into this predesignated spot, but I liked the general angle and the fact they are not done with each other.

Thinking about the MJF/Jericho interaction, to WNBB point about where MJF would likely be in WWE, could you picture that whole segment with the crowd sitting on their hands or, even worse, doing the Pavlovian ‘What?’ chants because they are heels and that’s what we do? It would have killed the flow and dragged everything down. Instead they were hanging on every word, when Jericho hit the Juventud line people got organically louder and louder as they realised what he was saying, that was fantastic. 

• Like 2

I'm also coming around on the Dark Order. Putting a shirt on Evil Uno was a massive improvement. I mean, he looks a little like Abyss now, but that's not that bad of a thing. Plus, dude can talk.

• Like 3

Something about the way Uno works still bugs me. He's talented, and very technically proficient but he just doesn't work like it feels like he should work considering his look and gimmick. That said his new gear is worlds better. Now if they would do something about Grayson's "God Of War" cosplay....

• Like 1

Here's the thing: Dark Order have had good matches two weeks in a row, after having bad matches before that. Part of it, I think, is just AEW getting better at having tag rules enforced and more clearly drawing heel/face lines for them.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Something about the way Uno works still bugs me. He's talented, and very technically proficient but he just doesn't work like it feels like he should work considering his look and gimmick. That said his new gear is worlds better. Now if they would do something about Grayson's "God Of War" cosplay....

I get what you're saying in regards to Uno.  I feel the same way.  I think it's that he's supposed to be this evil cult leader or whatever, and he's doing the old-school heel stuff of telling the crowd to "shut up!" and covering his ears, etc.  Just doesn't fit with the character.

I didnt even know the other guy in Dark Order was named Dick Grayson until last night. 

Can't they at least get him to dress up like Nightwing? That would be savage. 

And I second the sentiments on Evil Uno being damn good on the stick. Dark Order is coming around, and this slow and methodical build developing them is working. 

Edited by Wyld Samurai

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Nak is a comedy goof and it went down the right way. No way should he have been a credible threat against Mox. I get the story they were trying to tell, albeit I do admit to hating the oil gimmick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I didnt even know the other guy in Dark Order was named Dick Grayson until last night. 

And I second the sentiments on Evil Uno being damn good on the stick. Dark Order is coming around, and this slow and methodical build developing them is working. 

He's named Stu Grayson

• Like 1

Just now, Wyld Samurai said:

Like most cosplay, it looked kind of silly when Ricochet dressed as Nightwing back at SummerSlam. 

I still think both Dark Order members are about 30-50 lbs too light for the characters they're portraying.

On the Room Service video, it was odd how Matt basically admitted that both Marko and Jungle Boy were signed on the basis of being in really good gifs. And Marko was the only guy who chose his own name (playing Smackdown CAW mode, when he was 9).