DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 21: Magomedsharipov vs. Kattar (11/9/2019) - Moscow, Russia (CSKA Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

nzmISLm.jpg?1573147977

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 21: Magomedsharipov vs. Kattar 
November 9, 2019
Moscow, Russia (CSKA Arena)

Zabit Magomedsharipov (146) vs. Calvin Kattar (146) - Magomedsharipov, DEC (unanimous)
Alexander Volkov (251) vs. Greg Hardy (265) - Volkov, DEC (unanimous)
Zelim Imadaev (171) vs. Danny Roberts (170) - Roberts, KO (punch), R2 (4:54)
Khadis Ibragimov (206) vs. Ed Herman (206) - Herman, DEC (unanimous)
Ramazan Emeev (171) vs. Tony Martin (171) - Martin, DEC (unanimous)
Shamil Gamzatov (206) vs. Klidson Abreu (206) - Gamzatov, DEC (split)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Magomed Ankalaev (205) vs. Dalcha Lungiambula (204) - Ankalaev, KO (front kick), R3 (0:29)
Rustam Khabilov (171) vs. Sergey Khandozhko (171) - Khabilov, DEC (unanimous)
Roman Kopylov (185) vs. Karl Roberson (185) - Roberson, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (4:01)
Abubakar Nurmagomedov (170) vs. David Zawada (170) - Zawada, SUB (triangle choke), R1 (2:50)
Alexander Yakovlev (156) vs. Roosevelt Roberts (156) - Roberts, DEC (unanimous)
Pannie Kianzad (136) vs. Jessica-Rose Clark (135) - Kianzad, DEC (unanimous)
Grigory Popov (136) vs. Davey Grant (136) - Grant, DEC (split)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: David Zawada
Performance of the Night: Magomed Ankalaev
Fight of the Night: Zabit Magomedsharipov vs. Calvin Kattar

Attendance: 11,305

Cancelled Fights:
Junior dos Santos vs. Alexander Volkov - Dos Santos Bacterial Infection
Vinc Pichel vs. Alexander Yakovlev - Injury to Pichel
Ed Herman vs. Gadzhimurad Antigulov - Antigulov Withdrew From Bout

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

• jaedmc pinned this topic
5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That main event is to die for. Shame it's only for 15.

Kattar's opponent resume so far is pretty damn impressive: Fili, Burgos, Moicano, Fishgold, Lamas, and now Zabit. He has had no freebies.

33 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

And looked excellent. Two world class strikers fighting in Moscow. Should be a good time.

It is insane how many top fighters Dagestan produces. Just look at that damn card.

Somebody asked about a stadium show in Russia (maybe Dagestan specifically) several months back IIRC in reference to Khabib in the MMA Talk thread. If the North region of Brazil can get a UFC card, they might as well do a proper card in Dagestan. The problem is the quality of the venues. If the UFC refuses to do the Blaisdell Center even on the small chance of going to Hawaii, a good portion of Russia seems to be out of the mix (which tells you a lot considering the venues they've done in the past in Brazil). I don't even think Makhachkala has a sport arena. For such a talent rich place, there won't be a UFC event held within a reasonable distance probably ever. Damn shame.

Greg Hardy clearly thinking experience against a top contender is more valuable than an unbeaten streak at this point. Or he's delusional enough to think he can win. But Volkovmania will be running wild all over Moscow on Saturday.

38 minutes ago, AxB said:

Greg Hardy clearly thinking experience against a top contender is more valuable than an unbeaten streak at this point. Or he's delusional enough to think he can win. But Volkovmania will be running wild all over Moscow on Saturday.

If you saw his fights on Contender Series, he needed to win inside of a minute. Juan Adams (a guy who I thought was just slightly better than him if not as flawed) was a test he needed to pass and he passed it. The Sosoli outcome was what it was, but I felt he looked more like an actual fighter in that fight than most of his previous fights. Moreover, it was against a guy basically doing a bargain bin version of what Roy Nelson has been doing his entire career. If a guy is just going to walk forward at you looping overhands, you might as well score points. So if he figured out a way to beat Volkov, it wouldn't shock me really. Volkov is supposedly the better fighter, but he's facing a guy who went from glorified Toughman fighter to a potentially top 30 heavyweight inside a year who also is still learning and progressing. He could get submitted in round 1 or he could knock Volkov's block off. That type of growth, especially at heavyweight, is unpredictable.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Yeah, but if you look at the first two and a half rounds of Volkov vs Derrick Lewis, I don't see Hardy having the answer for the questions Volkov likes to ask. Lewis did, eventually, but if he hadn't landed the one big shot he comes out of that fight looking amateurish at best. And Hardy actually is amateurish.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Yeah, but if you look at the first two and a half rounds of Volkov vs Derrick Lewis, I don't see Hardy having the answer for the questions Volkov likes to ask. Lewis did, eventually, but if he hadn't landed the one big shot he comes out of that fight looking amateurish at best. And Hardy actually is amateurish.

The thing here is Derrick likes to fight in bursts. If you're not going to take him down like Cormier did, he is fighting you at one constant speed: either really slow and plodding or sudden. He doesn't have a changeup. Even Rogan pointed out in the final round of the Ivanov fight all he does is throws right hands. Even in spaces where he can try new offensive tactics, he doesn't do anything. Alexander Volkov got knocked out by THAT GUY. That itself is amateurish. With Hardy, on the Contender series and the fights just after that, it was this silent agreement we meet in the middle and let the best man win. When he had that fight in Brooklyn on the first ESPN show, he was finally fighting someone wasn't going to fall down immediately and was going to implement the safest strategy to win the fight. That threw him off because he never had a look like that. However, if you look at the Juan Adams fight or the fight with Sosoli where Sosoli was trying to do what Allen Crowder was trying to do, Hardy was very much ready for a longer, tougher matchup. That shows me he is actually learning at American Top Team and listening to what they want him to do. He didn't look like an amateur in those two fights. Now, is Volkov going to fold like Dmitry Smolyakov? No, I don't expect that at all. I think this is a fight where Volkov is either catching Hardy at the right time of his career where he isn't there just yet or he is catching him at the wrong time of his career. I don't see any middle ground.

• Like 1

Jessica Rose-Clark vs. Pannie Kianzad was a fun fight. If Kianzad is going to struggle, it's going to be against grapplers who can get her down early and often. Here she was able to let her hands go and win most exchanges. It also helps she already beat Clark before.]

The previous fight between Grigory Popov and Davey Grant was also fun. A lot of momentum changes. The snakebitten Grant was making his bi-annual UFC appearance. He got a much needed win because if he had lost, he would be among the current crop of UFC release casualties.

One of Khabib's several cousins lost. Hopefully, Khabib can get another one of his other cousins to avenge it like years ago when you have to face the other Klitschko brother when you beat one of them.

That's a good win for Karl Roberson (over an undefeated ex Fight Nights champion who on paper should have beat him even in a UFC debut) especially after a really bad eyepoke. He couldn't open up his eye in the post fight interview which makes getting that finish even more impressive. Hopefully, it's just a small thing with no real damage and he can get back in there pretty soon because he is a fun to watch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Ed "Short Fuse" Herman may be my favorite name ever. Sounds like he bullies Archie and Jughead.

They tried to give him the nickname Medium Fuse during the walkouts. He might as well be Ed "Medium Cool" Herman in an ode to Robert Forster at least.

Volkov did a good job of mixing it up. I'm surprised they were throwing the same amount of strikes (especially considering it look like Hardy hurt his right hand early on), but Volkov had the accuracy and did a good job narrowly avoiding big strikes. 

Even though he had an injury, this should be a good learning lesson for Hardy. The Rampage Jackson hook heavy offense doesn't work well against guys who will freely take the safe, high percentage strategy of kicking to the legs and midsection.  He landed some decent low kicks, but he has to switch it up. Volkov didn't have a great jab but it was effective in keeping Hardy at a distance where Volkov was safe. If Hardy can add more offensive firepower, that will allow him to get inside on fighters (particularly long, rangy strikers like Volkov) much easier.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Tragic we only got 15 but it was sublime while it lasted. As predicted by many, Kattar came on stronger as the fight went on and he landed a handful of huge power shots. But Zabit's diversity of striking and range as well as the superior footwork won Zabit the first two rounds. And his ridiculous output. I'm fascinated to see how 5 rounds changes his game plan. 

• Like 1