DVDVR Message Board

SDL is a Saudi Surprise! - 11/1/2019

James F'n X

I’ve not kept up on NXT but I forgot how loveable Keith Lee is.  

Miz is right, all these guys cut the same promo against him, blah blah blah fake actor, when he’s been consistent over such a long period now.  Really enjoyed his match v Ciampa.

Cole v Bryan was really, really great.

I had a long work week and with the travel debacles throwing a wrinkle into their plans I thought I'd have a night in and watch Smackdown live again and boy was I glad I did. Great showing by NXT, I thought everyone came off like stars and rightfully so. My only nitpick is that I wish Roddy had played into the finish of Cole/Bryan since A) that's been the norm on NXT for a while now since they're heels and B) I know DBry is the best in the world and can win or lose to anyone at anytime and be fine but I'd have liked to see him protected a little. Other than that, a great night of surprises and wrestling. The silliness of claiming Survivor Series is the only time brands feud aside, often this leads to very compelling angles and match ups, it'll be interesting to see what they book. If it's all three way versions of the usual matches though, big snooze.

According to our Dave Meltzer, Brock Lesnar and the WWE Championship are officially moving to Raw starting this Monday while the Universal title will move to SmackDown.

That would answer a question posed after Thursday's Crown Jewel show where The Fiend Bray Wyatt won the Universal title from Seth Rollins. Wyatt is a SmackDown wrestler, putting both top singles titles on the blue brand.

However, on Friday's SmackDown, Paul Heyman, flanked by Lesnar, did a promo and announced that the WWE Champion was quitting the show so he could go to Raw Monday to get revenge on Rey Mysterio for attacking him after his win over Cain Velasquez at Crown Jewel. Heyman noted since Mysterio was on Raw, he couldn't go to SmackDown, hence the "quitting" angle.

The moves come just weeks after the aforementioned draft and SmackDown's debut on Fox. It's unclear how Lesnar's inclusion on the Raw roster will be explained as he was Fox's top pick on the draft's second day.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

14 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

extra fantasy booking thought: there shouldn't be a successful invasion of Full Sail next Wednesday. Full Sail should be NXT's fort, where the first and second attempts to invade are repelled by the numbers advantage held by the NXT guys. 

Main roster surrounds PC, attempts to starve out developmental talents -- Live 24 hour stream on the WWE Network!

12 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Because those 'future prospects' are on Wednesday nights on USA, further saturating the market and putting on a better show.

But let me turn the question around - why would they?

For scouting purposes. Its one thing for Adam Cole to get a big pop in Full Sail, it’s another to pop a Smackdown crowd. 

5 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

For scouting purposes. Its one thing for Adam Cole to get a big pop in Full Sail, it’s another to pop a Smackdown crowd. 

Nah for a few reasons. One there is no such thing as a 'Smackdown crowd'; different cities react differently. Two it was part of a hot, slightly subversive, angle so it doesn't tell you that much and, three, it hasn't give any indication of his ability to sustain a pop over time. Four, 'scouting' isn't what that was.

They did draw a better number, but not without cost - they created an invasion angle they're going to struggle to ever end and/or they just killed the roster split - the latter is contractually mandated now and will require weekly negotiations with the networks to work around. Sounds hilarious,

Edited by ComingToAmerica

2 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

They did draw a better number, but not without cost - they created an invasion angle they're going to struggle to ever end and/or they just killed the roster split - the latter is contractually mandated now and will require weekly negotiations with the networks to work around. Sounds hilarious,

SS is still a battle of brands so the invasion angle was always going to happen. One would imagine it was already discussed to some degree with the networks.

Edited by Eivion

One thing being overlooked by people highlighting how there was an increase from two weeks ago in the ratings (never mind that it's a negligible increase since the share remained steady at a 0.8 rating) is this:

October 19

Total average: 2.441

Hour 1: 2.390

Hour 2: 2.493

November 1

Total average: 2.543

Hour 1: 2.605

Hour 2: 2.481

Notice the second hour comparison? Smackdown actually lost viewers as the show went on. It looks like the rating got boosted by the curiosity of how they were going to handle the no shows and then ticked down to where it had been two weeks prior by hour 2. 

Edited by El Boricua
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

SS is still a battle of brands so the invasion angle was always going to happen. One would imagine it was already discussed to some degree with the networks.

To a point, but Meltzer is clear that they weren't planning anything like the NXT invasion that actually took place until their hand was forced. 

Whilst doing a short-term battle of the brands was in the offing, it feels very much like this is a genie they're going to struggle to put back in the bottle. I used the metaphor of peeing your pants to stay warm in Winter and I stand by that.

- Re: ratings. Whilst 2nd hour was the same as 2 weeks ago, I still think that's a relatively good number considering they were on FS1 last week and drew a disastrous number.

20 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Name a better promo than Miz, that was some good shit. It's the obvious " I Was a reality star and people never took me seriously " he loves to go to but it's real. And he delivers in the right more often than not. 

As soon as Ciampa started going into the bit about Miz and working soft or whatever, I knew Miz was about to go off on him. At this point, having anyone go that route with Miz is just setting them up to fail.

I don’t think Miz is in the ballpark for best promos, but I do think he is probably one of the best at handling whatever they give him and reacting to how the crowd responds.

Edited to add: I just realized I think Miz is low key a guy I want to see go to AEW. He and MJF teaming and then feuding would be next level.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 3:23 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Without going through the entire thread, did anyone else mention the absurdity of everyone in-universe treating the brand split like a big sports draft when they can just move elsewhere willy-nilly? I'm picturing Zion Williamson deciding to quit New Orleans so he can play for Toronto while all the Pelicans brass all make ? faces and walk off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The way Meltzer phrased it is that they are going to go "Only Brock can do this" and it will feed into the constant subtle story line they use how Brock gets special treatment from management

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Without going through the entire thread, did anyone else mention the absurdity of everyone in-universe treating the brand split like a big sports draft when they can just move elsewhere willy-nilly? I'm picturing Zion Williamson deciding to quit New Orleans so he can play for Toronto while all the Pelicans brass all make ? faces and walk off.

Well Brock has leverage. He’s a champion, and a crossover star. If Apollo Crews quit today he’d be seen as a disrespectful prick, and burn bridges between all the brands. Nobody is going to want to touch him.

As many times as they've flipped belts back and forth between the two shows, what's ever given the impression that they were exclusive?

It's red?

Warrior had a yellow strap one time...

They can change it.

• Like 1