DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

It is just a weird balancing act with wrestling fans.  Most people can generally agree that Mauro is becoming almost unbearable at times at commentary.  I mean he squeezed 2 cultural references in the first minute of the show after the intro video.  But it is also tempered by the fact that Graves has become a pompous ass with either an ego completely out of control or a heel character that he has no concept of how to do.

Fans are one thing. A co-worker is an entirely different matter. Unless Graves is the most clueless person on Earth he has to know the history and why doing shit like he did was completely unacceptable.

• Like 1

Corey Graves needs to have a chat with Bas Rutten, (another close friend of Mauro). A faux-punk talking head for VKM should still know enough to not do this shit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Fans are one thing. A co-worker is an entirely different matter. Unless Graves is the most clueless person on Earth he has to know the history and why doing shit like he did was completely unacceptable.

Probably 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Maybe more of the latter considering he's calling someone else out on being unbearable when Graves came to calling the main roster shows as maybe the second coming of Bobby Heenan (probably because he was just doing a Bobby Heenan act) to being maybe one of the worst parts of Raw with hearing him literally shout over other announcers when arguing with them, constantly arguing with the other announcers instead of adding color to a match, making others look dumb, etc.

13 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

I don't really have a problem with Graves opinion but, like, why do people feel the need to tweet that shit? You can't just have the thought or utter the comment to the person next to you and get on with your life? Fucking nerd

It's that social media feedback loop.  "I'm going to say something 'witty' and a bunch of other morons are going to give it a Like or Retweet or whatever and this virtual pat on the back will make me feel good for a little while."  You know when someone says something is "like a drug?" Well this is quite literally like a drug according to one of the guys who built Facebook.    So if you're weak willed and starving for that attention and that quick dopamine hit, you'll, in this instance, say something shitty and like-minded shitty people will give you some validation. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

It's that social media feedback loop.  "I'm going to say something 'witty' and a bunch of other morons are going to give it a Like or Retweet or whatever and this virtual pat on the back will make me feel good for a little while."  You know when someone says something is "like a drug?" Well this is quite literally like a drug according to one of the guys who built Facebook.    So if you're weak willed and starving that attention and that quick dopamine hit, you'll, in this instance, say something shitty and like-minded shitty people will give you some validation. 

The ironic thing about this was the tweet Graves sent before the first Mauro knock was something like "social media is shitty because you can say shitty things without getting punched in the face"

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

The ironic thing about this was the tweet Graves sent before the first Mauro knock was something like "social media is shitty because you can say shitty things without getting punched in the face"

Which Frank Shamrock responded with that quote.  Awkward ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, that bit about Corey stood out more than anything else. This guy lacks that much self-awareness that he's going to talk shit about Mauro just after putting out that tweet about being being disrespectful online? The same guy who also talked shit about others tweeting about the Saudi flight? What an idiot.

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well Graves is a narcissist.  He sees that quote and thinks, "yeah, fuck the haters!" but doesn't realize it applies to him, too.  He will literally read that quote and only apply it to people who are shitty to him and never once, not for a second, consider his own behavior.  It's insane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Another month, another "Corey Graves is a shitty person" story.  You can set your watch by it.

It's December this coming Sunday. He left it late this month.

• Haha 2

So I guess the official explanation for Britt Baker being on camera at Takeover is that the they wanted a reaction shot and just happened to settle on Baker, with no one involved realizing who she was until Mauro identified her.

I kinda feel like this is one of those times when the WWE is insulting my intelligence.  I'd wish they'd just insult me the old-fashioned way-with their booking.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say AEW won't respond to Britt Baker being on camera in the crowd during a WWE show the way WWE did to Robbie McAllister being in the Impact Zone that one time. Must have sucked for Rory McAllister, getting fired for something your tag partner did.

Part of me wants to see what happens if Adam Cole returns the favour and attends an AEW show sitting ringside. Because it's one thing to make an example of an undercard tag team at a time when the tag division is dead as a dodo. Making an example of a pushed top guy, that's a different proposition.

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say AEW won't respond to Britt Baker being on camera in the crowd during a WWE show the way WWE did to Robbie McAllister being in the Impact Zone that one time. Must have sucked for Rory McAllister, getting fired for something your tag partner did.

Part of me wants to see what happens if Adam Cole returns the favour and attends an AEW show sitting ringside. Because it's one thing to make an example of an undercard tag team at a time when the tag division is dead as a dodo. Making an example of a pushed top guy, that's a different proposition.

Knowing how they think they have no problem with it because it got her exposure and logically why shouldn't she be in attendance for a huge match involving her boyfriend?

59 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

PPV was far more tolerable than it would have been with Mauro calling anything.

How is Sloane Kettering supposed to rid the world of cancer when you keep going around creating more of it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Corey was at his very best when it was just him and Tom Phillips and maybe a third person in NXT. Then he went to the main roster and I have no idea what happened. I know Vince yelling in your headset leads to you being quieter or being more of a shill. Knowing Vince though, he probably loves Corey stirring up shit and probably told him to do more of it. 

For a guy who only has a job in WWE because HHH basically took pity on him for his career being over, you'd think Corey would be more humble or kinder or more thoughtful.

51 minutes ago, Whodathunkit said:

So I guess the official explanation for Britt Baker being on camera at Takeover is that the they wanted a reaction shot and just happened to settle on Baker, with no one involved realizing who she was until Mauro identified her.

I kinda feel like this is one of those times when the WWE is insulting my intelligence.  I'd wish they'd just insult me the old-fashioned way-with their booking.

In this case, I could understand. Look at the schedule most WWE production people probably have. You can't really blame them for not knowing.

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

In this case, I could understand. Look at the schedule most WWE production people probably have. You can't really blame them for not knowing.

If that is the case then Mauro is the one in deep trouble.  If it was purely an accident because if it was why would you tell him in the back to use her name.

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

It is just a weird balancing act with wrestling fans.  Most people can generally agree that Mauro is becoming almost unbearable at times at commentary.  I mean he squeezed 2 cultural references in the first minute of the show after the intro video. 

Honestly, given the events of the week, that might be a positive for Mauro as an announcer.

Say what you will, but you're not going to catch Rinallo using the same references over and over on commentary, even when they've passed their sell-by date or became really, really unsavory.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I agree and hopefully it shows that AEW respects their workers. What a petty, gross WWE/pro wrestling thing for them to do that time.