DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

15 hours ago, AxB said:

OK. He said "He should be hung in the parking lot", so in other words, not that Smallman should kill himself, but that other people should kill Smallman. Because not wearing a Bowtie to announce is apparently grounds for lynching.

My problem arises from the fact that the entirety of the outrage about this was based off something that, as you have pointed out, he did not say.

Saying people should be killed in various ways for perceived crimes against the wrestling industry is pretty much a staple of Cornette. Given that, as far as I'm aware, none of the probably dozens of people he has said such things about have actually been murdered by someone in an Outlaw Mud Show tshirt I can only assume that even his most ardent fans take it as the hyperbolic dark humor its obviously intended to be. If you or anyone else has a problem with him using such speech then thats fine and I wont be wasting too much of my time arguing about that, but I do take issue with it when what are nothing less than lies about what he said are reported and subsequently repeated.

15 hours ago, Casey said:

Next thing you know this guy is going to say Cornette didn't say Justin Roberts looked like a pedophile.

Sounds like someone else here...

I dont think anyone has said he didnt say that and I wont be the first as I'm well aware that he did. But theres a big difference between making a joke about someones appearance and claiming someone is actually a pedophile. Cornette did the first but it was dishonestly reported that he did the second. Again, its the complete misrepresentation of what he said that I have a problem with.

It's like someone attacking Cornette's behavior translates to an attack on the identity of the person who likes Cornette.

Attacking Cornettes behavior is fine. Attacking Cornette, or anyone else, based on made up, dishonest representations of their behavior I dont think is fine

Edited by bazzil

51 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Would you really expect any different from The Sandman?

I love the guy but let's remember he was so legendary for getting completely fucked up before matches and was so dangerous that Mick Foley didn't want to work with him (also remember the infamous house show in Florida where he got naked in the ring. Remember the late Doug Gentry talking about it saying "They say there are no more hour long matches in wrestling, but that sure felt like one"). (And yes, I know the irony that Mick accidentally knocked him cold with a frying pan).

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Jordynne Grace getting the new month started early.

Taya always delivers match of the night at Wrestlecade shows. (and she was in that match).   She's also one of the nicest people I've ever seen at the shows.

I want Taya and Johnny in AEW more for Taya than I do Johnny, and Johnny's a natural fit (Johnny+Jack+Angelico+Kip+Taya+Penelope would be such an awesome group).

Got to hear a lot of interesting and surprising things from Eric Embry today as well.  I think he was glad folks remembered him. 

That said, the only person I didn't get a real strong impression of personally was Pillman Jr, though he's young and I don't think he's a complete jerk or anything.  I can see why he's not in AEW though right now.  Get him away from Teddy Hart ASAP.  I suspect Teddy's a bad influence (DBS Jr is cool though)

The whole "someone should be killed for that" saying is hardly unique to wrestling. Former footballer Alan Hansen used to say it on BBC  TV all the time. "He should be shot for defending like that". Then he said it days after Andres Escobar was shot dead at World Cup '94 (allegedly because he scored an own goal that eliminated Colombia from the tournament). I imagine the producers stepped in and told him to stop saying it, at least for a while.

19 hours ago, sabremike said:

Just using logic: It's a simple matter of fact that almost everyone in the media opposes Trump. If there was this strong connection between Trump and Epstein. and Trump turning a blind eye to the whole paedophile sex ring why is it not all over the media, and why did the media essentially disappear the entire story the way dictatorships disappear their critics (which is the thing that inspired the Epstein memes in the first place)?

19 hours ago, sabremike said:

That is in fact very true, but the fact that just about the entire American media is doing so is certainly interesting (as is the fact that the only network that hasn't ignored the story is one that has faced numerous sexual misconduct scandals in the past few years).

Except none of this is actually accurate, because Trump's relationship with Epstein has received plenty of coverage.

• Like 1