DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 10/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Forget Finn, apparently Jessi Kamea is trying out a new heel character after ditching the Bayley-lite gimmick. If Instagram is any indicator her new character is "hot girl on Instagram who posts obnoxious philosophical ramblings and pretends to be a muse."

I am fucking here for that character. 

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Forget Finn, apparently Jessi Kamea is trying out a new heel character after ditching the Bayley-lite gimmick. If Instagram is any indicator her new character is "hot girl on Instagram who posts obnoxious philosophical ramblings and pretends to be a muse."

That would be cool. She dropped the gimmick a while back and was just wrestling as herself on live events. She's improved a bit in the ring, too.

Anyway:

On 10/24/2019 at 3:31 PM, J.T. said:

Cole was in BC / Kenny's Elite for a hot minute before being unceremoniously ejected when Marty Scurll joined.

I want to say that it happened right before Cole signed up with NXT, but don't get me lyin'.

A hot minute? It was just over a year. Cole joined Bullet Club on May 8th 2016, and was kicked out on May 12th 2017.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hagan said:

I'm surprised it took someone this long to do the annoying IG model/so-called 'woke' character. I'm curious to see what she can do with it. The potential is sky-high.

16 minutes ago, Edwin said:

If only Balor's heel turn could have come on the main roster and he were to join a certain "club". How do you not put Finn with AJ, Gallows, and Anderson?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 10/24/2019 at 6:52 PM, sydneybrown said:

Era attacks Ciampa (interestingly Roddy, not Cole attacks first.)

Roddy has been the true ace of the group and has shown time and again that he puts the group before himself. He's the workhorse.

A face turn would be so easily for him but without Roddy, Era would simply not be as believable threat. Like they'll need someone really really good to replace him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turk128 said:

Roddy has been the true ace of the group and has shown time and again that he puts the group before himself. He's the workhorse.

That's why I brought it up and that's why I loved it.  The best angles are the ones you don't see coming and it makes total sense when it does.  There was clearly a Strong/Cole feud at one point.  Stuff might be happening in the background.  

Well, I managed to watch NXT after all. The key was muting the sound and turning Youtube to a series of Goblin soundtracks. I got through The Heroin Busters, some random album with a long Italian name, and the Patrick soundtrack. I didn't pay attention to everything but highlights were the extremely good Ripley/Belair match (run-ins couldn't even spoil that) and the Cruiserweight match. Garza is a born star and I finally got to see the famous Gallagher headbutt for the first time in years. Riddle's wrestling didn't piss me off this time either.

Of course the music ended, I turned the sound back on, and "NXT NXT NXT NXT NXT NXT NXT" ad infinitum thundered from the mount. Fucking lemmings. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If only Balor's heel turn could have come on the main roster and he were to join a certain "club". How do you not put Finn with AJ, Gallows, and Anderson?

Probably so he doesn’t become just another guy in a stable that’s kind of just been goofball comedy heels. I’m not sure he’s best suited for standing around smirking while while Gallows yells “Nerds!” AJ pulls it off better than Finn would.

If they do put Finn with some combination of UE, then it gives them more credibility when they move to the main roster and Finn’s got his own club that doesn’t have the baggage that Gallows/Anderson have.

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Of course the music ended, I turned the sound back on, and "NXT NXT NXT NXT NXT NXT NXT" ad infinitum thundered from the mount. Fucking lemmings. 

You must hate most American and foreign indy wrestling since ECW (aside from WWE and WCW, of course), correct?

ECW, NXT, TNA, AEW, ROH, CZW, IWA-MS, etc. have all had these chants constantly through the years.

I don't hate the wrestling (for the most part). I hate the fans.

It has gotten far worse and is far less tolerable at Full Sail, where it seems like they compete to be a constant distraction from the entertainment the workers are providing. Crowd interaction is fine, but when you're basically talking through the movie, you need to 

SHUT 

THE 

FUCK 

UP

• Like 6

Re: Finn turning heel and joining the club, I continue not to understand the fascination with having performers fall back on stuff they were doing pre-WWE. It's a step backward when they should be moving forward. Same reason the KoW have never been reunited: Cesaro's been in two fresher, arguably better teams in the nearly ten years since then. No need for nostalgia blinders. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't hate the wrestling (for the most part). I hate the fans.

It has gotten far worse and is far less tolerable at Full Sail, where it seems like they compete to be a constant distraction from the entertainment the workers are providing. Crowd interaction is fine, but when you're basically talking through the movie, you need to 

SHUT 

THE 

FUCK 

UP

Have you ever been to a live sporting? There's always that one fan who tries to get himself over and makes endless comments and is constantly screaming to get some laughs from others in the crowd. It's not different at wrestling events and no less different at FS. I'm not saying there isn't annoying fans at FS, but that's a thing all around. It happens everywhere literally. ?‍♂️

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Re: Finn turning heel and joining the club, I continue not to understand the fascination with having performers fall back on stuff they were doing pre-WWE. It's a step backward when they should be moving forward. Same reason the KoW have never been reunited: Cesaro's been in two fresher, arguably better teams in the nearly ten years since then. No need for nostalgia blinders. 

The team with Tyson was very good, but surely there has never been anything fresh about Sheamus, unless it's his breath. I'd gladly take Chris Hero over Sheamus everyday and twice on Sunday. Frankly, I hope I never see him wrestle again.

The fascination is because what they did pre-WWE was more interesting than what they've done in WWE. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

I disagree with pretty much every word of that outside the bit that was complimentary of Tyson Kidd. But at least you think highly enough of me not to assume I thought the team with Swagger and Zeb was any good. 

I know you've never cared for Sheamus. I believe it was once you who said Cesaro was mostly there to be his fall guy, which is patently false. So I don't expect you to give him much of a shake.

And I'll assume not wanting to see Sheamus wrestle again is a statement about your viewing habits rather than the man's health. 

Even if you preferred what some performers were doing pre-WWE, it does them no justice to put them in a position where that act will compare unfavourably to people's nostalgia and ultimately make them look like a shell of their former selves. Of course some people still seem to think Samoa Joe has a lot left to offer in the ring based on a reputation he built over a decade ago, so those nostalgia blinders can be a serious issue for some people. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll also add that I don't think this is just about acts from people's pre-WWE careers. I think this company produces pretty dull tag team and stable retreads in general. This was on display earlier this year when we were treated to yet another Shield reunion. The matches were, predictably, fine. But that magic was long gone. Each DX reunion was exponentially more insufferable. How many times did we really need to relive Taker and Kane's on-again-off-again relationship? And Owens and Zayn are definitely in that territory right now, where they need not ever be seen on screen again. 

There are, of course, exceptions to the rule. No matter how many times they're broken up, the Hardys are evergreen as a tag team. But for the most part, I prefer a company that wants to be seen as major league to keep the past in the past when it comes to teams and stables. 

1 hour ago, worldcupfever said:

Bronson Reed is the correct answer.

I was thinking the exact thing!

But he's such a lovable big tubby, not sure if he can channel that visciousnous.

EDIT: It'll be really snazzy if they got a big female enforcer instead... like Jazzy. That way she can beat on the announcers, male or female.

Edited by turk128
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It seems to be that it isn't one person but AN ENTIRE CROWD full of annoying fans, mindlocked in chant frenzy in that venue, every single week. I don't know how you stand it.

It's actually not an entire crowd, it's only a handful of them. But yes, some of them are annoying, but I've just learned to tone them out and ignore them. It happens at every show though, it may not be as noticeable, though.

19 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I disagree with pretty much every word of that outside the bit that was complimentary of Tyson Kidd. But at least you think highly enough of me not to assume I thought the team with Swagger and Zeb was any good. 

I know you've never cared for Sheamus. I believe it was once you who said Cesaro was mostly there to be his fall guy, which is patently false. So I don't expect you to give him much of a shake.

And I'll assume not wanting to see Sheamus wrestle again is a statement about your viewing habits rather than the man's health. 

Even if you preferred what some performers were doing pre-WWE, it does them no justice to put them in a position where that act will compare unfavourably to people's nostalgia and ultimately make them look like a shell of their former selves. Of course some people still seem to think Samoa Joe has a lot left to offer in the ring based on a reputation he built over a decade ago, so those nostalgia blinders can be a serious issue for some people. 

I did say I felt Cesaro was mostly there to be the fall guy of The Bar. I think it's kind of scary you remember that. I still feel that way. I'm certainly not going to back and look over several years worth of matches. I don't have that kind of free time. 

I've tried to give Sheamus a chance, but frankly there isn't a whole lot there. His entire character is "I'm Irish". We know Vince was living vicariously through Sheamus, seeing himself as some kind of Celtic Warrior. It was never more evident than when Sheamus returned as a heel and attacked Daniel Bryan because he suddenly had a problem with little guys. 

I don't agree about WWE's failed attempts at recapturing a popular act tarnishing the memories of the original. WWE botching their Summer of Punk doesn't make the original look bad in hindsight. It only highlights WWE's ineptitude and makes ROH's look that much better.  To me, whatever happens in WWE doesn't matter in the rest of the wrestling world. While everyone else is wrestling and doesn't try to hide it, WWE is still trying to present itself as entertainment, which it doesn't do very well. 

Apologies if I was unclear. I don't think redoing an old act tarnishes the original. Rather, I think the do-over normally pales in comparison to the point where it's not even worth it. 

But you being one who takes that E word so seriously, I doubt we'll find much common ground except in appreciation of Seinfeld memes. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Apologies if I was unclear. I don't think redoing an old act tarnishes the original. Rather, I think the do-over normally pales in comparison to the point where it's not even worth it. 

But you being one who takes that E word so seriously, I doubt we'll find much common ground except in appreciation of Seinfeld memes. 

That's all we really need...and finding Stephanie attractive.