DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/23/2019

Dolfan in NYC

On 10/26/2019 at 7:40 PM, Craig H said:

For real. I want someone to interview Cody and ask him how can he be friends with MJF and Cody is like, "look, we all have that one friend people think is an ass, but still, MJF is just the salt of the Earth!"

It happens. Decades ago my dad befriended this guy named Jeff, who soon became "Uncle Jeff" as he was a complete sweetheart with us... a big goofy manchild who treated us like peers, and a trusted confidant to Dad. He had an MG convertible and one of my favorite memories is when he drove us to a Yankees game in it, barreling up the West Side Highway. He'd also helped Dad save my life when I fell into a swimming pool while Mom was pregnant with my sister (new details spoilerized below from Mom as this is already criminally long).

Spoiler

Spoiler

Summer of 1974, New York State Fair in Syracuse. Dad and Jeff were working on Hugh Carey's campaign for Governor, and we all came along for a working vacation of sorts. One morning we were at the hotel pool, and I fell in while Mom, Dad, and Jeff were hanging out. Mom saw me drop out of sight and immediately got their attention - she was roughly 8 months along with Julie so she couldn't really do anything. Dad and Jeff jumped in to grab me (Dad in a three-piece suit, Jeff pulling off his cowboy boots as he hopped over) and the day was saved. Mom says I was "non-plussed" - gee, ya think? I immediately went for swimming lessons after we got home.

After a few years he fell off the face of the earth, and some time later my mom got a very threatening call from someone with the Israeli mob trying to "reach" Jeff. It turned out he had left a long trail of people he'd double-crossed on bad deals, skipping towns, etc. He was bad news, and yet somehow my dad was the one guy he could never bring himself to hustle in his travails.

That was way longer than I thought. Anyhoo...

• Like 10

Splitting MJF and Cody at Full Gear would be the WWE thing to do. There's so much more story to milk out of this thing and they don't need to do it less than 2 months after TV just started.

Put another way, Cody vs Jericho is the feud for now. Cody vs MJF is the feud for the future and the long haul.

• Like 5

I hate whenever someone turns heel by costing their friend a title match. Turn on them after they win the belt so you get a crack at it, instead of being sidetracked in a feud that is still away from the title.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

If they don’t split Cody, and MJF at Full Gear then they might as well do a Dusty Finish to keep Cody strong, or maybe MJF doesn’t turn on Cody, and instead it’s Brandi.

Why are folks discounting Cody and MJF turning on others, with Cody and MJF doing a Festival of Friendship type thing for a year or two?

Also would love to see MJF try to weasel a title shot out of Jericho and try to win it before Cody does in the cheapest way possible- but have Jericho got know all MJF's tricks (kinda like the Jay White/Suzuki match from G1 2018 which was an awesome badass heel beats up shitbag heel feeling himself too much match)

Edited by alstein

25 minutes ago, alstein said:

Why are folks discounting Cody and MJF turning on others, with Cody and MJF doing a Festival of Friendship type thing for a year or two?

Also would love to see MJF try to weasel a title shot out of Jericho and try to win it before Cody does in the cheapest way possible- but have Jericho got know all MJF's tricks (kinda like the Jay White/Suzuki match from G1 2018 which was an awesome badass heel beats up shitbag heel feeling himself too much match)

This is what I've been saying the whole time. Cody's a natural heel. Brandy's already a heel. 

9 minutes ago, Ace said:

This is what I've been saying the whole time. Cody's a natural heel. Brandy's already a heel. 

Because Cody’s proven to be even better as a babyface for AEW. I mean I had my doubts when he  was doing this following All Out, but he’s clearly his fathers son when it comes to being the majority of the crowds favorite. It’s not like Elias, or Seth Rollins who failed to consistently get cheered as soon as they went from wearing a black hat to a white hat(Although a lot of that is on Vince). Cody is still over, and you can clearly tell that he’s good in this role. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 6

41 minutes ago, alstein said:

Some folks are natural heels but still great babyfaces.  Austin being a great example of this.  Cody isn't an Austin or Flair, but he's still pretty good.

Ehhhhh... At one point sure, but after Austin 3:16, it was impossible for him to be one, and he tried almost every trick in the book. Remember when Austin had like 15 heel versions of his theme until they gave up? They could’ve released an entire album called “We Tried”. 

From watching 2018 NJPW, Brandi is a fantastic valet, a natural 'managerial' talent, and terribly attractive.  Shame she's bent on performing matches.

MJF-Cody forever ever and ever amen!  This is going along as it will end (I very much hope) - not in typical fashion or typical WWE fashion.  I think this whole thing may end up being a really smart statement on the modern state of the heel/face.  It's incredbile how the AEW crowd accepts MJF as both a face and a heel.  So to Jericho.  And the Bucks for that matter.  There's none of that cool heel Nash bullshit killing their adversaries.  Kudos to the AEW audiences thus far.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm really into the whole Cody/MJF angle simmering too - I mean you could run it as it is now for 6 months, do the MJF turn, feud em for six months, turn Cody, team em back up for a year as heels, keep em apart, do it again. Like a Sami and KO situation where it's just sort of a known thing even when they're kept apart for periods of time. 

I also really like the concept of The Nightmare Family as a whole because it gives Cody backup in the Inner Circle feud besides just the other Elite guys. So even though they're going to be running Bucks vs LAX, later on if you've got the other guys involved in anything else, like Omega is with PAC and Moxley for example, you can still have Jericho and his guys mix it up with MJF, Dustin, and DDP and get the upper hand without making the other Elite guys lose on a weekly basis. It's like WCW vs NWO but with smart people. 

Someone in one of these threads, I can't remember who so please take credit if you see this, said they thought that the roster looked small initially but now looks to be near perfectly sized - after a few weeks of TV I have to agree 100%. 

• Like 3

Surely Scurll is just a matter of time, they signed the boxer Ogogo from the UK (might be a bit of a project given how new to wrestling he is), they have this Wardlow bloke being introduced in the vignettes, so there’s some in the pipeline already.

Super hot, over babyfaces are so rare. Don't ruin Cody's run yet. He'll have years to be a dickbag heel, now isn't the time. Draw this out for 6-12 months and have Mjeff twist the knife when it matters the most. It's too early now I think, even though it would still work, but maximum effect is down the line. But you also don't want Jericho to beat your top face at the moment clean, so Hager fuck finish? But then you're not doing a clean or satisfying finish to a PPV and you want people to buy the next PPV. INTRIGUING corner they've put themselves in. Let's see how they get out. But yeah, if you're only doing 4 PPVs a year, you should probably finish with a satisfactory ending for the audience for the first bit anyway.

edit: UNLESS you have a big debut make the save for Cody and the Nightmare Family.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

Cody is the super face of the company... you have him win at Full Gear without tomfoolery and ride that horse. 

You don't think it's too soon? Not arguing with your point, I just think they could milk the chase a little more. Then again, milking shit well after it's hot is kinda the WWE MO so maybe it is best to strike now

• Like 4

Speaking of riding horses, the horse Hangman Page rode into the arena at All Out passed away over the weekend. Rest in peace, Hunter Horse Helmsley.

• Sad 6

4 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

Cody is the super face of the company... you have him win at Full Gear without tomfoolery and ride that horse. 

Agreed.  A dusty finish is going to piss their crowd right off and having him do a job to Jericho seems like a major mistake to me.  You can obviously run the rematch and insert other members of the Innner Circle to prolong the feud until you can move on to someone other than Jericho.

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Surely a Dusty finish would just be the latest tribute from Cody to his Dad. 

I'm sure Cody's heard how the Dusty Finish played a significant part in JCP's downfall.