DVDVR Message Board

2019-20 NBA: 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

The NBA has declined to bail out the Rockets from blowing a huge lead and denied Houston's challenge from last week.  All three refs are being disciplined for misapplying the challenge rule.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

The NBA has declined to bail out the Rockets from blowing a huge lead and denied Houston's challenge from last week.  All three refs are being disciplined for misapplying the challenge rule.

That's BULLSHIT

I love that the league wants to stick it to the Rockets more than they want to make sure they get calls right.  So how much time left in a game is it ok for refs not to count obvious field goals?  Kinda a slippery slope if they say there was time to overcome an obviously bad call by the ref?  

Oh, and the head ref that fucked up the call?  He was the replay official for tonight's Rockets game.  And as part of his reviews, he upheld phantom offensive fouls on Harden that took 5 points off the board.  

I’ve lost all respect sorry this is absolutely rigged for money… Or ratings in not sure which. I won’t be silent. Just saw it live sry

Since we're coming down to it, who do y'all got on your NBA All-Decade team, assuming normal All-NBA team position rules apply?  I got:

G Steph Curry

G James Harden

F LeBron James

F Kevin Durant

C Mark Gasol

Guest The Magnificent 7

Harden clearly slaps him in the face and that is not a natural follow-through. 

It blows my mind you actually call people out for not knowing the game of basketball.

Do we really have to put up with this shit all year?

Can I take a suspension?  Hopke, you are a fucking moron. 

This is where I have my most fun

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28261417/lost-stars-lack-leadership-fleeting-hope-knicks

Fizdale braced himself as he spoke, lowering his head at one point, not knowing if the sword were coming right then and there.

He'd been expecting it since the now-infamous news conference in which team president Steve Mills and general manager Scott Perry lambasted the current state of affairs, reiterating how unhappy everyone was after just 10 games. It was held at the behest of Knicks owner James Dolan, multiple sources have confirmed to ESPN. He thought it showed a sense of urgency. Instead, it destabilized the franchise and invited speculation about Fizdale's future.

In the 26 days that followed, Mills, Perry, Fizdale and assistant coach Keith Smart met frequently to address the team's issues. But the meeting after Thursday's game was different. Fizdale had called the team's effort in the loss "sickening" and was processing how this dream he'd had of turning the Knicks around had turned into a nightmare.

He knew Mills and Perry had been meeting with players to get their takes on why the Knicks weren't showing signs of progress, according to team sources. Each loss seemed worse than the one before.

But firing Fizdale presented a conundrum: As long as he was in the hot seat, management was not. So the front office hoped to delay a coaching change as long as possible -- or at the very least, until the beginning of the team's West Coast road trip, which began Tuesday in Portland.

• Like 1

HOOK ALL OF THIS DIRECTLY TO MY VEINS!!!

Now Mike Miller is interim coach, and he'll probably keep the job as long as the players respond to him. But there have already been ownership-level discussions about hiring a new coach in-season if the team continues to crater, according to sources.

Hiring a coach in-season is risky for all sorts of reasons. Most notably, it complicates the decision about Mills' and Perry's futures with the franchise.

Only Dolan can decide when their time running the team is up, of course -- and whether he's ready to give someone full control over his team. He wouldn't do it for Jackson or Griffin. But it would take nothing less than autonomy to lure an executive such as Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri.

Ujiri's name has been connected to the Knicks before, of course. That's mostly because Dolan both respects and admires the way he has tormented the Knicks in trades.

When the owner became impatient in trade talks with Denver for Carmelo Anthony in 2010, he pushed aside respected GM Donnie Walsh and took over. The results were costly for the Knicks: Within days of the trade deadline, Ujiri maneuvered to gather an additional first-round pick and center Timofey Mozgov in the trade, sources said.

Three years later, Dolan interjected himself into trade talks with Toronto for former No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani.

Most believed Ujiri would need to attach a draft asset to unload the $20 million left on Bargnani's contract. As it turned out, Dolan sent a first-round and two second-round picks along with three players in a package for Bargnani. His two seasons with the Knicks were replete with injuries and little production.

The Knicks front office was near a deal for guard Kyle Lowry in 2013, but when the story was reported, Dolan became apprehensive about completing the trade, sources said. After the Knicks backed away, Ujiri kept Lowry, who became a perennial All-Star and a cornerstone of the 2019 NBA championship.

Through it all, Dolan has privately expressed a fascination with Ujiri and shared those feelings with common friends, league sources said.

But the details of the trade -- bringing back marginal players, unloading salaries for cap space and acquiring two first-round draft picks -- suggested one of two things to NBA rivals: The Knicks knew absolutely that they were getting Durant or Irving in free agency, or they knew absolutely nothing about executing a franchise-changing trade.

Feels like this one was pretty obvious in retrospect.

• Haha 2

Since we're sharing tidbits about our team's misery....

You guys remember when I was like "Oh man the Bulls might be fun to watch this year!" and I was super optimistic and excited.

25 games in and that's gone. https://pippenainteasy.com/2019/12/09/chicago-bulls-jim-boylen-remains-unpopular-with-his-players-this-season/

The report also dives a bit deeper on why the Bulls players don’t seem to like Boylen all that much since he took over for former head coach Fred Hoiberg last season. It talks about how Boylen and the Bulls had to form the Leadership Committee last season and about the “near-mutiny” from all the antics he tried to pull in practice early on last year.

Here’s what the report also had to say about Boylen and his relationship with John Paxson and Gar Forman in the Bulls front office.

His unpopularity with the players would be the driving force behind any move by management, who otherwise seem satisfied and gave him an extension before the season.
But apparently the Bulls president Paxson still “remains a fan of Boylen’s tough-love approach despite the disappointing results thus far”. That also shouldn’t surprise many since there is a common belief that Paxson largely views Boylen as a good reflection of himself. A head coach that keeps the front office so heavily involved in his decision-making is likely to remain popular with management like GarPax.

The Bulls inked Boylen down to a three-year contract extension over the offseason without even conducting a coaching search before removing his interim tag. If the Boylen-coaching era fails in the Windy City, then it could put more pressure on GarPax’s shoulders too.

So Paxson hired a coach that he thought was like himself, and SURPRISE none of the players like him.  So clearly when this fails the Bulls will get rid of Gar/Pax too....right? Right?

Attendance is starting to drop now. Chicago has had some of the best attendance rates in basketball even though we weren't winning titles. This year we had a game where the arena had only  about 10,000 paid and the United Center holds over 20k. 

Once the pocketbook starts taking hits like that surely change will come.

• Like 2

I just read through this entire thread and there is a suspicious lack of talk about the best team in the league. Like, y'all know the Lakers are back, right? 

Wasting my time making me read about the Houston Rockets.

• Like 2