Dolfan in NYC

On tap for tonight:

For a AEW Championship match - Darby Allin vs. Jimmy Havoc 
Jon Moxley vs Shawn Spears
Hangman Page & Dustin Rhodes vs. Sammy Guevara & Chris Jericho
Emi Sakura & Bea Priestley vs. Britt Baker & Riho
AEW Tag Title Tournament, 1st Round - Young Bucks vs. Private Party

--

Also, Ryback or whatever he's calling himself these days will be there. Apparently. 

• Like 1

You guys didn't enjoy his bully heel run? He's still dangerous and not very good in the ring but he's a huge personality and body, both things they need. If it's a short term deal to test how things go, I don't hate it at all and am way cooler with that than I am Jake. 

As for the records stuff from the other thread, they should probably have seasons where records reset so guys who came in as underdogs don't have the aura of loser forever. You can have career records too but a reset button once a year helps. And it's early days so hardly anybody is established at this point and there's going to be some awkwardness. I don't love it but I think there are ways of making it work to a degree. Seems like more of a headache than it's worth but we shall see. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

You guys didn't enjoy his bully heel run? He's still dangerous and not very good in the ring but he's a huge personality and body, both things they need. If it's a short term deal to test how things go, I don't hate it at all and am way cooler with that than I am Jake. 

As for the records stuff from the other thread, they should probably have seasons where records reset so guys who came in as underdogs don't have the aura of loser forever. You can have career records too but a reset button once a year helps. And it's early days so hardly anybody is established at this point and there's going to be some awkwardness. I don't love it but I think there are ways of making it work to a degree. Seems like more of a headache than it's worth but we shall see. 

Here's where I stand on Ryback...I think he sucks in the ring. Early on there was the criticism that he's sloppy or not as strong as he looks because he had trouble getting Heyman up for the Shellshock. I didn't think those criticisms were fair at the time. In hindsight, they were pretty fair. He's just a big oaf, sloppy as fuck, and when you think back to CM Punk saying he's stupid as fuck and when you look at all the things he's said and done in the past few years then it really shows that he is indeed stupid as fuck. Hager and Ryback are exactly who I think of when I think of WWE castoffs. At least with Hager you can easily repackage him as a badass giant because of his MMA career. With Ryback, he's just the same fuckin' dork, but with a new vision board after he read the Secret for the umpteenth time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, Ryback or whatever he's calling himself these days will be there. Apparently. 

I thought this company *wasn't* going to just throw money at anyone who used to be someone for a bit in WWE?

Maybe Ryback is just doing the shit Austin Aries was doing. Maybe it's a plea to TK to sign him or something.

If he was signed, then why? What does someone like Ryback have to offer that someone new out there doesn't have. It's not even like Ryback stayed active this whole time. If he took wrestling seriously in his time away from WWE by constantly busting his ass and doing what Drew Mac did then I would be all for signing him, but he didn't do any of that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Casey said:

So we're taking this "Ryback to AEW" shit as gospel when the source was a video of Ryback talking to a chicken sandwich?

That sounds like a normal Tuesday afternoon for Da Big Guy.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Casey said:

So we're taking this "Ryback to AEW" shit as gospel when the source was a video of Ryback talking to a chicken sandwich?

After finding out Master P owns HoG anything is possible at this point.  2019's been a weird fucking year and we still have 2 1/2 months left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Underdog stories are easy with records being kept - Blah may have a record under .500 but has won 9 out of his last 10 matches and thus deserves a title shot.  There just needs to be a decent amount of data to manipulate to get their desired results.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Avoid Chick Fil A and KFC.

Counterpoint:  If you get enough chicken sandwiches he may stay in the car talking to them and forget all about going to the show.  Knowing him that might require quite a few sandwiches but may be worth it.

Have fun, Niners, you're in for a great time.

• Like 2

Hell, Ryback may be like those people who are still so desperate for Popeyes chicken sandwiches that he's bringing in buns from home, ordering chicken tenders, and making his own chicken sandwich in the restaurant.

If you think I'm joking that this is a thing then I'm not. People are actually doing this. I could really see Ryback doing this too.

• Haha 3

I'm aware of Ryback, but have never had the pleasure of seeing his work.  I suppose there's always a chance they might bring in a guy with some name value (?) like Ryback to simply put over one of their own rising 'superstars'.  

I suspect AEW goes 2 for 2 tonight.  The line-up looks good.  I'm hoping the Joshis can up the level of that Women's match.  I'm also hoping the Bucks can lead the PPs to a stronger showing.  I like that this second week on top of some returning performers features a bunch of guys and gals who didn't work matches on the debut.  The Natural-Hangman-Jericho-Guevara tag and the Moxley-Spears will both very likely be strong.  It'll be a test for Darby and Havoc without the plunder, but I think this will result in another good showing from the pair.  Stoked for TV Wrestling in the month of October in the year 2019!  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3