DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 TELEVISION DISCUSSION

John from Cincinnati

If he were sober, he could actually turn the company into something that isn't a monster that's a cog in the wheel of destroying the planet. But even then, his weird impulses would probably lead him to make some bad business decisions like waking up one day and deciding to buy Tidal on a whim because that would somehow get him closer to Jay-Z.

The rest of that family is as incompetent as they are destructive. Not a single one is remotely qualified to run it and Shiv is an idiot. 

HOWEVER, a new contender has emerged. Fuck the nonsense over who takes over the company. I'm all in on Ewan bringing the whole thing down with cousin Greg stumbling into being the one to light the match.

Poor, poor Tom Wambsgams. Dude, you're not cut out for this world. You should be a regional manager for Barnes and Noble or Starbucks or something.

• Like 1

Also, I have my first real complain with the show. Up until now I thought it was pretty much flawless, but Rhea is a smart person, she's fully aware of the cruise ship abuse stuff. She should know she's being setup to take the fall for it and yet...suddenly she's ignorant to whole thing? It makes no sense.

• Like 1

We're talking about Succession (HBO). In the picture is Kendall Roy, drug addict and alcoholic son of Logan Roy, who himself is basically an analog for Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch.

Also, probably Vince McMahon too. Many times the show feels like it could easily be about the McMahon family.

Edited by Craig H

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

If he were sober, he could actually turn the company into something that isn't a monster that's a cog in the wheel of destroying the planet. But even then, his weird impulses would probably lead him to make some bad business decisions like waking up one day and deciding to buy Tidal on a whim because that would somehow get him closer to Jay-Z.

Yeah, I have no clue what he's done for you to continue to have faith in what his potentially measured and sober decision making would look like. The second he doesn't feel like he's getting daddy's approval, he'd crumble. That sobriety ain't gonna last long when Logan is incapable of giving him that. As for turning the company into something that isn't killing the planet, he'd probably piss away a good chunk of the fortune by throwing money at one tech bro after another. 

He's best on a short leash where the words "Dad's plan is better" are never far from his lips. He sucks. 

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Also, I have my first real complain with the show. Up until now I thought it was pretty much flawless, but Rhea is a smart person, she's fully aware of the cruise ship abuse stuff. She should know she's being setup to take the fall for it and yet...suddenly she's ignorant to whole thing? It makes no sense.

Let's not give Rhea too much credit. In the short time we've known her, scheming with Logan has already gotten her canned by Nan Pierce. 

Re: The cruise ship stuff, it's entirely possible she can ride it out if she plays it right. If she tries to cover it up further or downplay it, she's in a bad place. But if she makes it clear she wasn't with the company when these issues began and she's going to clean house? She can stand a chance. Rhea's getting what she wants here. She's not going to decline it because one of Logan's brat kids has their knife out for her.

It's entirely possible this blows up in Shiv's face and she feels like a moron for inviting a fox into the hen house. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

• Like 1

On a separate note, While the baby naps I've taken the down time to start watching Black-ish and enjoy it quite a bit. Damn if that Prince tribute episode wasn't just the perfect thing t owatch this afternoon!

I'm even more impressed how Anthony Anderson has mnaged to keep getting work given all the trouble he keeps getting in off camera

James

12 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

His Dark Materials

November 4

HBO

That cast list is fucking stacked.

No wonder Ruth Wilson had her character on Showtime's The Affair killed off.  She was after that HBO money.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

We're just going to need a Succession thread at this rate.

The Fuck Off drinking game you can make out of a single episode of Succession makes it deserving of its own thread.

I think that the guys at the Human Echoes podcast even include a running Fuck Off count for every episode they review.

• Like 1

I am starting to dig CBS;s Evil to the point where I really don't give a shit about the new season of How To Get Away With Murder, which frankly has been circling the drain for the past two seasons, IMO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am starting to dig CBS;s Evil to the point where I really don't give a shit about the new season of How To Get Away With Murder, which frankly has been circling the drain for the past two seasons, IMO.

I thought this was over/ending.