DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2019 WRESTLING CHAT.

30 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

These new acronyms suck. 

No they're fantastic.

Wow, DVDVR is so full of arcane in-jokes and history, I pity any newcomer wandering in from the barbarian lands of wreddit. 

Just like I pity any newcomer trying to get his head around the WWE product!!!

*nails AEW colours to the mast*

In all seriousness, I cannot believe how neurotic folks are getting about ratings and their preferred brand (not around here for the most part, in those other places...) Is it a reflection of increasingly fractured and tribalistic political environment? Or simply young'uns who have never had first-hand experience of competition at the top level of American professional wrestling?

Finn's turn was so beautifully executed, as was Cody breaking into the Inner Circle's room with his scarf-wrapped fist, as was Brock brutalising everybody, as was Eddie Kingston's impassioned promos on NWA Powerrrrrrr. Give me all of it, I love wrestling. 

Edited by Custos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

“It don’t matter if you’re black, or white, you don’t know what it’s like until you step into @WWERollins world. Tonight is no different when I Burn It Down for the #WWEUniverse to see!”

Seth deepfaked into Michael Jackson "Black or White" video is my least favorite intrusive thought today.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Custos said:

No they're fantastic.

Wow, DVDVR is so full of arcane in-jokes and history, I pity any newcomer wandering in from the barbarian lands of wreddit. 

Just like I pity any newcomer trying to get his head around the WWE product!!!

*nails AEW colours to the mast*

In all seriousness, I cannot believe how neurotic folks are getting about ratings and their preferred brand (not around here for the most part, in those other places...) Is it a reflection of increasingly fractured and tribalistic political environment? Or simply young'uns who have never had first-hand experience of competition at the top level of American professional wrestling?

Finn's turn was so beautifully executed, as was Cody breaking into the Inner Circle's room with his scarf-wrapped fist, as was Brock brutalising everybody, as was Eddie Kingston's impassioned promos on NWA Powerrrrrrr. Give me all of it, I love wrestling. 

VioletSlimyBream-size_restricted.gif

• Like 2

I didn't know ACH had this much emotion and vigor about himself. Here I thought the WWE would never hire a New Jack type of black dude but eventually they found The Spook Who Sat By the Door. That's karma, baby.

As for the Jay Lethal tweet, that seems like some personal shit between them. If I'm mad at another black dude (not so much lately as I'm pretty chill nowadays.. at least IMO) especially one who I've had a contentious working relationship with, Uncle Tom is probably one of the first things that will be lobbed out there if I truly know the guy. Then again, someone can play the jealousy angle (although Jay Lethal has been wrestling forever and still in ROH). I just don't get the we need to stick together thing or For the Culture or w/e this bullshit is. Last time I checked, all the black guys in the wrestling biz don't sit around and negotiate their contracts together. Honestly, I always felt the WWE presented black wrestlers as buffoons or dumb bucks anyway. I've never felt some personal attachment to any of the guys they've hired in this era. So when stuff like this comes back to bite them in the ass hard, I really cherish these moments. Fuck em. I'm just happy there is at least one guy with a backbone. Wish there was more, but I'll take what I can get.

• Like 15

Unfortunately, as with most things social media, the substance of the issue and the call for real change gets lost in the drama and dirty laundry and mudslinging, to the point where it is trivial for WWE PR to just bat this issue away into the long grass and continue the status quo.

I've not been in ACH's shoes to know if this outburst is warranted and/or understandable, but the sad result is that rather than rallying others behind the cause and using this as a spark to drag and claw this company towards a more progressive and representative organisation, it becomes a lone angry man who from the outside seems to be firing shots indiscriminately. Worse, no incumbent WWE talent can tenably stand in solidarity with someone broadcasting internal emails and burying other talent. 

But like I said, lord knows the frustration and tongue-biting any wrestler goes through in that place on a given day, let alone a black wrestler. 

• Like 1

Was that before or after the Hulk Hogan apology / non-apology 'don't get caught, Brother' that was sufficient in WWE management's eyes to forgive the hateful views he repeatedly expressed, and put him out there again as a beloved legacy star and role model?

EDIT TO ADD: Or the Lars Sullivan stuff that was waved away as he was 'going through a bad time'?

Edited by Custos
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Since its hard to keep track of all the ills of the company, is the Lio Rush stuff the most recent example of a racial issue there? (Excluding something like the Kabuki Warriors naming)

The Kabuki Warriors named themselves, no?

36 minutes ago, Custos said:

Was that before or after the Hulk Hogan apology / non-apology 'don't get caught, Brother' that was sufficient in WWE management's eyes to forgive the hateful views he repeatedly expressed, and put him out there again as a beloved legacy star and role model?

EDIT TO ADD: Or the Lars Sullivan stuff that was waved away as he was 'going through a bad time'?

Or Tyson Fury, and blaming his mental issues for his interesting views.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Archibald said:

I don't know how Seth could even make this worse, but he got talent for that, I'm sure that he'd manage to surprise us all.

I can see it now -

"@GoGoMyles, my brother, If I could give you a spot on #TeamHogan I would. Keep fighting just like me, my Seth-tacular fans, @BeckyLynchWWE, and her #LynchMob do every Monday night on #RAW #lynchmob #burnitdown"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Can't wait for people to start combining acronyms so we get WUMGUGs or whatever. It'll make the Urban Dictionary searches two for the price of one.

As in "Happiness is a WUMGUG?"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4