DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 10/2/2019

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I would say "no."  I only see Bellator when they are in Connecticut but I'm pretty sure @Elsalvajeloco said he's been fighting ring crew members and hot dog vendors. 

It's funny because they let R-Truth rap him out for his last "fight". I don't think that's happening again with Hager going to AEW, and he's actually fighting at the end of the month against a former KC bar security guard and ECU football player. But yeah, he's arguably below where Lashley was with Bellator because Lashley actually fought guys who could be somewhat considered fighters. Plus, Lashley's last (ever) fight was a co-main event. They have Hager opening up the card underneath a 7-8 female fighter in Bec Rawlings so I mean they don't see him as that big of a star. And we're talking about a company who is in dire need of stars. They have ex UFC champions doing 275,000 viewers average in primetime on Paramount, and that was last Friday. They need all hands on deck.

It's interesting that he is doing wrestling this close to a fight. That further lets me know Bellator ultimately doesn't give a shit.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

Being there live I can tell you the women's match people on here are trying to claim was bad 100% tore the fucking house down every bit as much a Becky and Charlotte at Evolution (and I was at both). And Hager hitting the ring lead to about the most bonkers reaction I've ever seen at a major arena pro wrestling event. Honestly this was better than any Raw or Smackdown taping I've ever been to (and I've been to a ton of them). Also something to consider: Hager is a big guy who didn't stand out in WWE because everybody else is big. Here with guys not as big he stands out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm reading on the good old net that they had 3 dark matches but I didn't see it from a viable source.  

Supposedly Darby Allin vs. CIMA before the show

Lucha Bros.,  Evans & Angelico vs. Private Party & Best Friends  after the show 

Bea Priestly and Penelope Ford vs. Dr. Britt and Allie after the show 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm reading on the good old net that they had 3 dark matches but I didn't see it from a viable source.  

I would love to see these see the light of day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

You should still watch it if just to see Riho bump her ass off and avoid letting Nyla kill her. She took Nyla to a good match, but it just went long.

Went ahead and caught it. Match was pretty decent. Didn't feel too long to me. They had some neat spots with such a size/strength difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Went ahead and caught it. Match was pretty decent. Didn't feel too long to me. They had some neat spots with such a size/strength difference.

Pretty much, the only thing that hurt it was some of the best spots happening during the break. The only match I’d consider a disappointment on the show was PAC Vs. Page. That should’ve been saved for another week. Maybe could’ve gotten a Jurassic Express six-man instead.

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sadly I couldn't see the last two as I had to get to Union Station to catch the 11:15 bus back to NY. Allin-Cima was exactly what you would expect.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

Sadly I couldn't see the last two as I had to get to Union Station to catch the 11:15 bus back to NY. Allin-Cima was exactly what you would expect.

Who won Allin/Cima?

I can't wait for Philly in two weeks.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

In case they put it online I'll put the spoiler 

Reveal hidden contents

heard it was Allin for the coffin drop

I hope they put them online. The dark matches sound like good stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamal said:

Star making night for Riho. She really managed to win the crowd over despite a so/so match. 

I was surprised, well only slightly, that not many were mentioning the crowd going fucking nuclear for the match. Hotter than anything I saw up to that point. I was in and out, getting ready, but from what I saw it was pretty good and featured a crowd that made it come off like a huge star making performance. Still need to watch the main event but the first 3/4 of the show were a blast despite the 104 commercials. Schiavone took a minute to get comfortable but once he was on it was a pretty damn great 3 man boof (shaped like a table).

Opener was perfect. Cody came off as the star, Sammy got opportunities to show off and establish himself, Brandi got involved and the crowd ate it up. Pac/hangman was good but should've been great. Pac hasn't looked 100% himself in either match though I thought the Omega match was great and this was good. He was even having issues with the ropes. Gonna go watch the main but fuck is it great to see the hype pay off and to experience a legit alternative on big ass stations. Production was a huge step up. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 7

- Wasn’t feeling the first match, but that could have been entirely my surroundings of people being loud in the other room. Plus I sat on the remote and killed my late delay so I had to find where I was. Sammy has a few moments where he would do an avoiding flip, but fall when he’s land and quick catch himself. But the spot pulling Brandi in front of him was a great heel move. Even though it was pretty telegraphed with Brandi wagging her finger. Smart having Cody go over by a roll up. Gives the face a win in the first match while not hurting the cocky young heel.

- So far, Cody is the face of the company. I’m excited for him vs Jericho. But that post-match beat down lasted for a while. I bet he was done and then realized they were still on commercial so he had to keep going.

- Did Cutler actually get hurt? The end of the match came off very awkward. Then quickly jumped to commercial. Hopefully he’s fine. If he’s not actually hurt, then pretty garbage second match for the first tv show. 

- MJF is gonna be good on tv. 

- I was probably most into the women’s title match. Riho came off like the perfect underdog. Even failing to flip over Nyla Rose came off endearing. I was really into Nyla here. Great face expressions. Lots of in match charisma and an impressive look. I think what elongated the match was the terribly timed commercial. It’s cool they had picture - picture going on for it, but it was looking like Riho was actually doing some exciting come back stuff. Crowd was really into the match. I was too.

- Not so much with the post-match beat down. That was awkward. Cool to see her powerbomb Nakazawa (even though it was an awkward botch) but having Kenny Omega come down was kind of lame. It was a cool crowd being excited moment, but now I’m very confused with his character. They were building him up as losing his mind over the losses and on the show he was only kinda bummed backstages getting ready and then seemed totally cool and pumped up for everything in ring related. Like is BTE not canon? Or am I way off on this?

- Hangman vs PAC was good stuff. I see myself drawn to Adam Page’s cowboy character. PAC is a badass and will eventually be a future Bastard Champion.

- Omega character confusion aside, Main Event was fun. Good tv-fun clusterfuck. Loved Jericho in this. His first move of tagging in and then tagging out made me very happy. I know a chunk of this board doesn’t like him but I’ve become a fan of this version of him. The Young Bucks looked great as the underdogs in sudden handicap match. Weren’t over the top, got in a super kick party, and had a cool hot tag moment. They get it. Santana & Ortiz had a grrrrreat entrance/ theme song. They looked cool. Them vs the Young Bucks will be a fun feud.

- I don’t know why it didn’t become a DQ when Moxley came in. It did lead to a cool Attitude Era style backstage brawl which was fun. Plus, when Moxley showed up it was a very cool moment. 

- I didn’t see the post match beatdown as NWO-like when I was watching it. Almost like everyone (except Hager) had personal reasons to brawl. Cody protecting his friends, Sammy hates Cody, Dustin protecting his brother, and Hager is mad at Dustin because...reasons. But if they are a stable now, then @Raziel called it and I misinterpreted what was happening.

- Three post-matches beatdowns (and one mid-match beatdown) in a 5 match card seems to be quite a bit. 

- I can see the sports feel they were aiming for. Came across interesting in presentation. I do hope the next week we’ll see those cool promo-vignettes on the show. That’s a big part of why I became a fan. 

- So many characters we didn’t see yet. Mainly Jurassic Express. It will be cool to see who gets over.

- Complaints aside, good show. I’m giving them October of watching weekly. Work out whatever kinks and minor being on tv things. It was a different feel, without actually being too different. I’m very excited for the next few shows and to watch this build up. 

• Like 3

I didn't think JR was great but I thought Tony and Ex were both very good...   it was so good hearing Tony again.  I mean for as bad as JR is sometimes I'd still say this commentary team is so much better than what I'm used to hearing of late. 

On the Moxley/Omega DQ thing...      this is only a guess but you see it in New Japan where it's the referee's discretion and maybe this was a case where he decided to let it play on. 

• Like 1

JR was pretty good for 2019 JR but he doesn't need to be a great commentator. He's there because he's recognizable and they're trying desperately to pull in lapsed fans. He's there for lapsed wwf fans and Tony's there for lapsed WCW fans. It makes a lot of sense and I doubt JR is around for more than a year or so on a weekly basis.

Tony calling Mjeff a prick is the best thing. Fuck you if you disagree. Cutler is DOA sadly injury or not. You can't be jobbed out like that after the tongue lashing he received and months of bullying. Mjeff is a prick though and that was the point of the segment, to get him over. Success despite me never wanting to see Cutler wrestle again even though I am a fellow d&d nerdlinger. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1