DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

Just now, jaedmc said:

I hear you. My wife and I had several discussions about this because she felt she needed to go to a memorial service for two cousins that passed away. It's not a fun conversation because whatever answer you choose you feel like a piece of shit.

Yep.  This wedding was for a friend who is the person who took our friend group from a group of people who hung out once or twice a year to a fairly large group who spent almost every weekend together for years now.  She's one of those people you want to show up for, because you know if the shoe was on the other foot she'd definitely show up for you.  It was clear that everyone from our friend group thought the exact same thing, because none of us had been anywhere, but we all showed up for the wedding.  It's just that the last week has been fucking terrible, because this virus has me going crazy.

On 9/28/2020 at 10:01 AM, Robert C said:

Two weeks quarantine.  Ugh. 

Looks like we're probably negative.  My son and I have both tested negative.  My wife doesn't have her test back.  More significantly, the kid my son was around who tested positive has now tested negative, along with his whole family.  So looks like a probable false alarm.  It hasn't helped that everybody in my family has been sick all week.  I wasn't really worried about us being sick, as it happened too soon after the supposed exposure, but it hasn't helped.

I dunno how the folks that have been doing distance learning this whole time have done it.  This has been our first week of doing it, and it's just about wiped me out.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I dunno how the folks that have been doing distance learning this whole time have done it.  This has been our first week of doing it, and it's just about wiped me out.

I just discovered that my 6 year old has been doing those sheets where you trace the letters on the computer with a mouse. Like learning how to write with MS Paint.

We don't get digital copies of the worksheets. We get a cell phone picture of the worksheet on a desk. That's what he's been tracing on. So if we were to print them off they'd waste a ton of toner catching all the gray.

So now every morning I wake up, download the jpegs and fuck with them in GIMP to make them into a normal worksheet.

I think the suckiest part is just having to hide. My wife is in the youngest's bedrooom working. My eldest is in his room in class all day. My youngest is in the dining area which is open to the kitchen and living area. So I'm stuck in my bedroom trying not to use bandwidth. Which means I'm here actually having to moderate. Yuck.

On the flipside I've done Yoga every day this week for the first time in a long time. Feel fucking fantastic.

My cousin's kid is having her wedding tomorrow, indoors. This is Wisconsin, we've been having...a fun few weeks with our numbers. Tons of people aren't going and I guarantee people are going to be pissed about it. Based on what little I've seen of her posting on facebook, she's hardcore into the cult of personality and believing all the conspiracy crap about Biden with his earpiece for example and who knows what else, so I wouldn't have been going anyway. I have family that will be there, so this will be weird to see what happens if anything.

We got invited to my wife's cousins in-person, indoor wedding down near Waukesha.  I wanted to write in a "bitch, are you crazy?" on the RSVP card but was talked out of it by my wife.  We're not even close enough to these people that we would have gone if there wasn't a plague on.

• Haha 1

Waukesha might as well just be "What kind of pussy wears masks?" central in this state (that's near a huge population center) considering how hard right they go down there. All the white people that fled from the scary black people for existing.

• Like 1

I really find it hard to muster any sympathy here.  Trump downplayed the virus at best and called it a hoax at worst.  He killed plans to distribute masks and mocked people who did wear masks.  Just two nights ago he made fun of Biden for wearing a mask!  If he was just a dumb person who truly believed the stuff he was saying, whatever.  But he was testing himself and his staff at the White House every day.  He knew from day one how bad this could be, was at least taking some precautions, all the while telling everyone else not to.  Between his messaging and the absolute lack of federal response, people died.  So I can't muster a single bit of concern or sadness when far better than him have lost their lives because of him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Use RIPPA's cool sticky note thing!

Edit: This really has some big Hall Monitor energy on my part...

I think I have an outlet that might worth be considering for these discussions.  I'll have a topic up in a sec.

EDIT:  And here it is!

Edited by NikoBaltimore

He's just jealous of him having been married to ScarJo and Blake Lively while he's married to, um, *checks* Deborra-Lee Furness who is an Aussie actress that is, wow, 13 years older than him.

14 hours ago, Ryan said:

He's just jealous of him having been married to ScarJo and Blake Lively while he's married to, um, *checks* Deborra-Lee Furness who is an Aussie actress that is, wow, 13 years older than him.

If there will be a world for long enough for this to happen, by the time Reynolds - Lively children start having kids with the Kardashian/Jenner -new generation, the world WILL not be able to handle how beautiful THOSE children will be!

I am the social studies at the reservations Indian school. The shit has been hitting the fan for at least two weeks, yet we are still open. Because of the lack of infrastructure out here on the  reservation, we can't just do virtual school, but we have given the students the option of staying at home, but did have the software paid for, due to issues with the Tribe bureaucracy. I don't know exactly what the issues are(I'm not on the management committee, nor do I want to be) so I only know what's been been said in meetings and the like. But long story short we are having training on the online stuff this Friday(we go Mon-Thu, with alternate Fridays off) but our lap tops, which ordered about 250 or so, are due until Dec. To digress slightly, I don't have any in my room, so its just text based with some Youtube docs and death by Powerpoint. I feel like a hack, but there's not much else I can do at this point.

Anyway, back to the school, we had a COVID scare with our volleyball and track teams two weeks ago, but instead of shutting down for cleaning, we have have kept going. The students had the two week quarantine, and came back at the end of last week, but its such a clusterfuck. The tribe had two elders die yesterday from COVID, so its getting bad out here. Masks are mandatory, but some of the kids don't take it seriously, and we have been authorized to send them down to the office to get sent home if they won't comply.

I asked one of our science teachers(who's my source for dirt), that's a combo of the school board fucking with us(because we are supposedly going under federal authority next year, and if I can stay{we all have to reapply for our jobs, but with the MAT I think I have got a good shot} I'll be in for a major pay raise.) So their authority is going away, and they are going to not give us anything this year, so I've heard anyway. The other reason for staying open is that the BIE is getting pressure from above in the government to keep schools open.(This is conjecture, but it seems logical) NOT BEING POLITICAL AT ALL, JUST SAYING WHAT I HAVE HEARD.

I don't think anyone knows what's going to happen, but just keep moving for now. Fun Fun Silly Willy. . . . .Narf.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

So for those keeping score my mother-in-law was in the hospital for pancreatitis among other issues.  After being there for about a month she went to a rehab facility.  Thinking she was progressing by going there all seemed to be well.  Then we realized how wrong we were.  Going up there last week we find a facility that looked like a prison and from what we saw in the window visit things seemed way off about her.  It was at that point I realized where she was staying was just flat-out wrong and I had a billion questions.  Some were answered by my brother-in-law.  Others I had to corral some directors over the phone and get whatever answers I could.

Fast forward to Friday when I find out that she went back to the hospital for septic shock and her issues being back at square one.  Then fast forward again to today where we're told she's not making it overnight.  So I drop everything and get my wife so we can see her one last time.  The whole visit was just sad and we were all going between stages of feeling sad, furious at the rehab center and then just numb.  To say goodbye to somebody in an ICU is just something I can't wish on anybody.  Who knows how alert she was with the medications in her and it was just horrible.  But we said what we could for the last time hoping she recognized any of it.  Right now the pain it caused everybody is too much for me to bear.  So at this point we're just dreading the call that will come tomorrow stating she passed away and nothing feels right no matter the distractions we try to cheer ourselves up.

Where to go from there?  Well, after the memorial service and figuring out what to do with everything her family is gonna sue the shit out of that goddamn place.  The neglect that they showed is infuriating and from they found out there's enough of a case to really make them pay.  I'm glad for that as this is not the way she should have gone out.  From there who knows.  But while I'm not sure how much this all makes sense this day really fucking sucks.  This year is no doubt the worst year ever and if there's a sliver of hope for next year then please just put us in a goddamn time machine and get us the fuck out of here.

One thing we're trying to remember is while on vacation for my wife's birthday we did manage to speak with her mom.  And while she wasn't feeling well she sang Happy Birthday and talked with her for awhile.  So she's holding onto that moment and I'm glad she got that one more time.  And that's what it all comes down to sometimes.  And with that I'll say life is short and you'll never know when it's their time.  So if you're able to please cherish those happy memories with your parents and also if able see to create new ones.  We only get one mom and dad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 10