DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

I actually learned about the Tulsa massacre about 10 years ago when I was doing research on the early years of Esquire. In 1934, they advertised that they had a short story by Langston Hughes that dealt with miscegenation, and asked their readers if they should publish it. A reader from Tulsa wrote in to say that, if they did, it could spark violence like it had in Tulsa 13 years previous. I had to figure out what he was taking about, which wasn’t as easy as it is now. Some recent projects by Tulsa historians, and then The Watchmen TV show, have disseminated the history a bit more widely.

• Like 2

Police departments love to push the "a few bad apples" narrative when this happens and then let them retire and keep their pensions fire and prosecute the ones who get caught and it's such bullshit.  There are systemic issues where police everywhere in all police departments feel like excessive force and outright murder are just standard procedure and they are never addressed.  Every cop who beats someone, shoots someone, kneels on someone's neck until they die felt like their partners, police chiefs, and politicians had their backs.  And they did.  My wife asked why the other cops watching it happen didn't intervene and I had no answer outside of "they're all bad."

The rest of the "a few bad apples" expression is "spoil the whole bunch," remember.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

Rahul fucking gets it

Oh and in an interview with a different local network - he said the cops were literally beating people on his doorstep and said he just acted on instinct to let everyone in.

• Like 10

Yeah, that is bullshit.  I can see the cops telling people that they can't shelter looters, but not peaceful protesters. Muriel Bowser would be wise to remind the cops who they really work for.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, that is bullshit.  I can see the cops telling people that they can't shelter looters, but not peaceful protesters. Muriel Bowser would be wise to remind the cops who they really work for.

From her response it sounds like these cops were federal police not local DC. It seems like it was a power play to take it out of her hands.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

The best reminder is one in the leg and one in the head.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Is it Ai Apaec The Decapitator?

latest?cb=20111029174955

That character looks cool as fuck, but Ai Apaec sounds like something that one might take to ensure proper bowel movements.

The character is from a Marvel comic about Osborn restarting the Dark Avengers. Some kind of spider-god thing. The art in that is...all over the place.

Ai Apaec is a villain in the Marvel Universe. He is depicted as having the torso of a human male (with snakes for hair and large fangs) with the lower body of an enormous spider. Recruited by Norman Osborn, he is given a special serum that changes him into a six armed version of Spider-Man. In this form he is a member of Osborne's second version of the Dark Avengers.

There is a real one from the Mochica culture from Peru. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ai_apaec

If I dream, I tend to do so vividly.  I'll remember snippets of conversations or the visual of something I dreamt for weeks or years, assuming it sticks.  Last night, my first vivid dream in a while was that I'd developed a sizable bald spot (I needed a haircut before all this started, and I really need one now, so the visual of a patch of scalp felt terrifying).  Then I woke up.

5 seconds later, I realized it was a dream and quit touching my head.

10 seconds after that, I realized this was probably my biggest fear in life and I should quit complaining.

Thus concludes today's lesson in What White Privilege Looks Like.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Rahul fucking gets it

Oh and in an interview with a different local network - he said the cops were literally beating people on his doorstep and said he just acted on instinct to let everyone in.

My grandma did the same thing after the 1968 Chicago riots left a bunch of folks stranded. My mom (who was there with Dad working for George McGovern at the DNC) says there were at least 20 kids strewn all over her house in West Ridge the night after the hostilities when they put the word out that her door was open to them.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

imagine if these protesters were openly carrying firearms like those who wanted to go to Applebee's and get haircuts a couple weeks ago.

This is fucked, and I hope you're all safe.

The cops never do anything about Y'all Queda/Vanilla ISIS for some reason.  I can't quite put my finger on it.  ?

Somebody once said if you want real gun control, get more African Americans into licensing and open carry.  That's what happened in California back when ol' Ronnie was governor.  The Black Panthers peacefully marched with weapons and, next thing you know, more restrictive gun laws were put in place!  Imagine that.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOL I just noticed the user previously known as ComingToAmerica changed his name to @RunningFromAmerica which is pretty appropriate.

Of course, my name change to ComingToAmerica was inspired by my then upcoming trip across the USA. Great trip it was too, met some lovely people. And I talked to a few Trump voters on my travels - I'm pretty sure all of them would be horrified at him going full Palpatine.

I have an old aquaintance who wore a MAGA hat in a YouTube video a week ago - I downvoted the video muahahaha but I see it again and we will have a problem. In these times of Brexit, Trump and whatnot it does seem harder and harder to maintain friendships with 'the other side' - I actually think I've got much more tolerant and inclusive of well-meaning people on the centre-right as I've got older, but ffs there are limits.

• Like 1

Me trying to navigate a conversation with my boss about the protests while holding onto my job

PositiveArtisticAnteater-size_restricted

I really almost slipped and said something out of pocket before he mentioned his sister's husband is a cop.

• Haha 9

8 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Me trying to navigate a conversation with my boss about the protests while holding onto my job

PositiveArtisticAnteater-size_restricted

I really almost slipped and said something out of pocket before he mentioned his sister's husband is a cop.

Since Trump was elected, every time someone at work asks me anything remotely political, I look them in the eye and ask them as serious as possible, "Are you trying to get me fired?"

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Since Trump was elected, every time someone at work asks me anything remotely political, I look them in the eye and ask them as serious as possible, "Are you trying to get me fired?"

Yup.  I like paying my mortgage way too much to ever talk about politics at work.

But I also live by the motto "Those are my coworkers, I don't know those people" so I don't talk about much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Somebody once said if you want real gun control, get more African Americans into licensing and open carry.  That's what happened in California back when ol' Ronnie was governor.  The Black Panthers peacefully marched with weapons and, next thing you know, more restrictive gun laws were put in place!  Imagine that.

Ha!  That is a Dave Chappelle joke.

I used to take my Sig to WalMart with me in response to a good ol' boy who'd bring his Colt Python shopping with him.  He called the cops on me once and the law sent me on my way after I showed them my permits.  What could they do that couldn't be viewed as harassment?  I was perfectly legal and it helped that my daughter was recording everything on her phone.  The police men behaved themselves.  Nothing bad happened so it wasn't YouTube worthy.

I find it humorous how people are so creeped out by my 4th Amendment right.

About a week later, the store announced that firearms were no longer allowed In the store and that sales people would bring any guns you bought in the store out to your vehicle for you.  Go figure.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 2