DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

We had a ground snake in our pantry last week.  Cats and dogs got chastised for that one.  Usually I can count on em to kill things like scorpions, but that one got past em.  I'm guessing it's because we lost our cat and dog that had spent time out on the streets.  The rest of em are rescues, but we got all of them as pups/kittens so they've never had to hunt to survive.  Caught a checkered garter in the back yard this week that was about to be a spiny lizard's lunch.  

As for cats taking on stuff that's too big for em, I got to watch one of ours try to take on a peahen once.  That was fun to watch.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OSJ said:

On a much lighter note, the Spring Slaughter has begun here... It's ninety degrees and Jackpot, Seven and Sandor all came trooping in carrying lizards before I could catch them... At least one escaped and is under either the couch or love-seat where it will no doubt starve to death or come out where one of the cats will get it. The stupid cats throw the poor things up in the air and then bat them around, ultimately losing the damn things where we find the petrified remains when we move the furniture around. Stupid fucking cats.

The best story my Mom tells about her late persian Johnny Red is that somehow, despite his flat face and complete lack of brains, he managed to catch a lizard in his mouth. We think the lizard had a death wish and just jumped into his mouth. Anyway, he looks at Mom like, "What am I supposed to do with this?!?!?" and she instinctively said, "DROP IT" (4 kids, 6 grandkids voice). He did, looking (again, according to Mom) grateful for the assist. She let the poor lizard outside to warn his friends about the weird demon in the big box. ? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JLSigman said:

The best story my Mom tells about her late persian Johnny Red is that somehow, despite his flat face and complete lack of brains, he managed to catch a lizard in his mouth. We think the lizard had a death wish and just jumped into his mouth. Anyway, he looks at Mom like, "What am I supposed to do with this?!?!?" and she instinctively said, "DROP IT" (4 kids, 6 grandkids voice). He did, looking (again, according to Mom) grateful for the assist. She let the poor lizard outside to warn his friends about the weird demon in the big box. ? 

I think that Jackpot and Seven are actually conducting a seminar for the little cats (Spike and Arya), both aged one year. I recall back in Seattle Spike 1 got a bird and brought it down to the basement and was showing Jorkens and Carnacki how to throw it up in the air and then whack the poor thing in the head until it was dead.) Apparently this is how knowledge is passed from one generation to the next.

Showing Spike and Arya what to do with lizards is sort of a waste of time as we decided that they're going to be strictly indoor kitties. Arya would probably be okay going outside but there's no telling what sort of trouble that Spike II would get himself into. He gets into enough trouble inside the house, I can't imagine what sort of mischief he'd get into going outside. There's also the issue of the occasional stray dog wandering into the yard. The older cats (Jorkens - 16, Sumuru -10, Jackpot & Seven - 7 and Sandor - 5) know how to get away by running up the hill to the neighbors yard which is far too steep for a dog to negotiate.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

I was three hours late to work today because George Floyd protesters were blocking all traffic and making the buses super late.

Good.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

Seriously dude, what the fuck is wrong with you? I really needed those three hours of work.

Your three hours of work isn’t more important than the murder of unarmed African-Americans by a police state. Check your fucking privilege.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

One of the worker's in my uncle's group home tested positive for COVID-19. He has to isolate in his room for two weeks. He's got very severe CP and brain damage and is totally confined to a wheelchair and is well into his 60's. If he gets sick, I don't know if he'd survive. I really want to break something with a baseball bat right now.

• Sad 9

We had a peaceful protest in front of the South Bend police department tonight. It was nice. Very civil and organized. Only lasted maybe 40 minute or so. Showed up, everyone stood in solidarity, and then left.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Ryan said:

One of the worker's in my uncle's group home tested positive for COVID-19. He has to isolate in his room for two weeks. He's got very severe CP and brain damage and is totally confined to a wheelchair and is well into his 60's. If he gets sick, I don't know if he'd survive. I really want to break something with a baseball bat right now.

sorry brother

• Like 2

Let's chill, dudes.  Social justice is important as is the ability to go and earn a living, especially now during the current economic meltdown.  Let's not batter Jim too badly for simply wanting to go get his paper.  Not all of us are blessed enough that have jobs that allow for telework.  A lot of people have gotten shitcanned during the quarantine and retail apocalypse..

As a black man, I am comforted by some of the angry comments.  Things will not change until all of us are outraged by injustice, no matter who is suffering from it.

I am cool with the protests if they are peaceful and respectful.  I am not cool with looting and arson.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

13 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I understand that this is the Airplane joke, but please be assured I am totally serious: I picked 100% the wrong week to quit smoking weed.

I feel ya. I quit drinking and I've been begging for one all day. 

Then again, I had no idea what was going on downtown because I don't use social media or watch tv. I just like to drink. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

In the sense that 5 years from now, things will be worse instead of better?

Also, tonight was really the wrong night to watch Dawn of the Planet of the Apes for the first time...

I dunno, at this point, what do we got to lose putting Ceasar in charge?

• Like 2