DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

Thank you all for your kind words. 

@RIPPAI echo what J.T. said about getting professional help. I'm not comparing my situation to yours, but I can tell you that taking care of my mom day after day absolutely wore me down both physically and emotionally. Hopefully you can get a good amount of financial help because live in care or a decent living facility are not cheap at all. My family's dealt with this a lot (my mom's Aunt had it, my mom's mom had it and my mom's mind was starting to go when she passed). This is not a pleasant thing to go through. Take care of yourself and your family.

@J.T.Nothing selfish at all about wanting your dad to make it into the new year. As I mentioned in my original post the day my mom passed was also my nephew's 20th birthday and when I first got the call that she was going to the hospital my first thought was "god, at least let her live through today so she doesn't die on this poor kid's birthday". I know how rough it is seeing a parent physically degrade like that. 

@Craig HA friend of mine had it and recovered but even now 3 months after he was cleared to go back to work he still finds he gets regular body aches and just generally does not have the same level of energy he did before but he is starting to feel more himself finally. Hang in there. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robert C said:

My son came back positive for Covid. Gotta assume his mother and I will be the same. I’m probably average risk for a 50 year old, but my wife has a history of cancer and other risk factors.  Shit. 

I will keep your family in my thought, man.   My mom is elderly, diabetic, and takes medication for rheumatoid arthritis, so she checks a lot of risk factor blocks. 

Whenever I visit my mom's to check on her, the first thing I do is take a shower and put on a change of clothes.   My sister and I are very afraid of what we might bring back to the house in the course of running around in daily life.

Get your wife someplace secure and both of you get tested ASAP.  Preferably on multiple occasions just to make sure.   I hope your son is either mildly symptomatic or (better yet) asymptomatic.

On 12/9/2020 at 11:36 PM, CSC said:

Hang in there man.  

I'm learning every single holiday that first year after your Mom dies will completely suck.  I wake up and the first thing that comes to mind is traditions that we used to have, and realizing none of those will every happen again and I'm crying before I'm even out of bed.  Nothing is joyful anymore, just painful memories that I can at least smile at but still hurt deep down to think about.  

I felt like I was starting to feel "back to normal" again for a little while but this whole season has thrown me completely out of whack again.  

Cheers, @CSC. It's hard to be happy and more often than not, it's the opposite as you mourn what's lost, the whole in all things. You try and perk up but when the downward come on, ugh. I do celebrate Mum and I'm trying best I can but it's so fucking tough. Thanks, @J.T., @NikoBaltimore, @Technico Support and @CSC for reacting to it.

• Like 4

On 12/9/2020 at 11:53 PM, J.T. said:

Thanks, dude.  Knowing somebody somewhere has my back means a lot.

Means a lot when somebody's there for you in testing times. Take comfort in that, friend. 

Thinking of you, @J.T. and @RIPPA. My Nan and Uncle both suffered with Dementia killing them. It's such a cruel, cruel disease. It's the shits.

Thinking of @Robert C and your family. Fingers crossed you/your wife test negative for the coronavirus and your Son gets well soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Thank you all for your kind words. 

@RIPPAI echo what J.T. said about getting professional help. I'm not comparing my situation to yours, but I can tell you that taking care of my mom day after day absolutely wore me down both physically and emotionally. Hopefully you can get a good amount of financial help because live in care or a decent living facility are not cheap at all. My family's dealt with this a lot (my mom's Aunt had it, my mom's mom had it and my mom's mind was starting to go when she passed). This is not a pleasant thing to go through. Take care of yourself and your family.

@J.T.Nothing selfish at all about wanting your dad to make it into the new year. As I mentioned in my original post the day my mom passed was also my nephew's 20th birthday and when I first got the call that she was going to the hospital my first thought was "god, at least let her live through today so she doesn't die on this poor kid's birthday". I know how rough it is seeing a parent physically degrade like that. 

@Craig HA friend of mine had it and recovered but even now 3 months after he was cleared to go back to work he still finds he gets regular body aches and just generally does not have the same level of energy he did before but he is starting to feel more himself finally. Hang in there. 

It's surreal having a loved one die on a Birthday. My Aunty died on mine. Happiness to sadness just like that.

My girlfriend's grandmother caught the bug whilst in hospital for heart complications and she died last night. Fortunately, they let her and her sister in to visit (lots of protective equipment obviously), and they actually got a hour and a half compared to the 10 minutes people apparently often get. The hospital said they had seen people recover from worse, but the end game would have been the care home and I don't think she was that up for it - I wasn't completely shocked to hear that she slipped away in her sleep overnight.

They didn't socially distance though. Quarantine/self-isolation isn't legally enforced but she will naturally be keeping distant until.......well I guess we will see. Hilarious.

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

It's surreal having a loved one die on a Birthday. My Aunty died on mine. Happiness to sadness just like that.

My grandfather passed on the same day my cousin gave birth to her first daughter. A very strange day of emotions, but at least he was in his 90's.

6 hours ago, Robert C said:

Thanks y'all.  Nobody is symptomatic, at least for now.  The only reason we even tested is we knew my son was possibly exposed.  

If it's any comfort to you, it's not exactly a guarantee that even if you get symptoms that they'll be severe. The best thing to do is get a ton of rest. And by a ton I mean sleep all day if you can. Drink a ton of water. I can't speak to all of the talk of loading up on vitamin C, D, or whatever, but I can say that I took the behind the counter Mucinex D right at the start and I think that helped me a bunch. What you'll really want to do is have a productive cough or hack and get that shit out of your system. If you have a humidifier, hook that up. Take long hot showers or baths to get the crud out of your system. I have high hopes for you or anyone else affected by it.

To add to this, I discovered a new covid wrinkle today! Exhaling has been mostly fine for the last two weeks until last night. Full disclosure, at 40 years old, I smoked weed for the first time and probably the last time about a month ago. It was awful. I coughed so hard and it for a little bit after it felt like my throat and upper part of my chest were irritated. Exhaling felt like a slight, very slight burning feeling. So jump to last night and that's what exhaling felt like. It's also what it felt like today. It's not great. One of the perks of having a nurse for a wife is that she checked my breathing, lungs, BP, and all of that stuff and she said my lungs sounded clear. What this did do though more than anything else was...give me a panic attack! Yay! I haven't had a panic attack for awhile now, but my fear over what was happening with my breathing, along with the Excedrine Migraine I took, wound up making me feel like my body was going haywire. I wound up taking a 3 hour nap and that seemed to help me ride it out. The breathing feels better, my heart doesn't feel like it's going to thump through my chest, and I feel more grounded.

• Like 6

Up till now, we've got a mild case.  My kid is his normal high energy self - bouncing off the walls and driving us crazy.  His momma and I had pretty constant headaches for three days, but we got through it without meds.  Still have them occasionally, but been mostly clear there since yesterday.  Don't have as much energy as normal, and maybe get winded a little faster than usual.  My wife is a little more down than I am, but not too bad, all in all.  Oh, and a nasty rash on my wrist, but that may've been poison ivy.  Other than that, not much to speak of.  Still early, but so far, so good

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Robert C said:

Up till now, we've got a mild case.  My kid is his normal high energy self - bouncing off the walls and driving us crazy.  His momma and I had pretty constant headaches for three days, but we got through it without meds.  Still have them occasionally, but been mostly clear there since yesterday.  Don't have as much energy as normal, and maybe get winded a little faster than usual.  My wife is a little more down than I am, but not too bad, all in all.  Oh, and a nasty rash on my wrist, but that may've been poison ivy.  Other than that, not much to speak of.  Still early, but so far, so good

One of the partners I worked with mentioned that her son developed hives from having covid. Hopefully that's not the case for you. It was just another reminder of all the weird things this virus can do to. I'm glad you all have a mild sounding case so far. I hope it stays that way. I think everyone who gets this and is symptomatic would appreciate just having long lasting exhaustion and none of the really bad stuff like pneumonia.

My daughter has tested positive for COVID today, my wife has started showing symptoms as well. We've been exceedingly careful this whole time but she (daughter) goes between our house and her dads, who is a nurse as is her stepmom who is also symptomatic. So far everything is pretty mild hopefully it stays that way.

• Sad 2

18 hours ago, Sublime said:

My daughter has tested positive for COVID today, my wife has started showing symptoms as well. We've been exceedingly careful this whole time but she (daughter) goes between our house and her dads, who is a nurse as is her stepmom who is also symptomatic. So far everything is pretty mild hopefully it stays that way.

Hopefully if it spreads to y'all it won't be any worse than what we've had.  Get rest and take care of yourselves.

• Like 2

I caught covid the weekend after thanksgiving. The Sunday after, I came down with a really bad cough, but thanks to some strong walgreens meds i had the cough beat by wednesday. And i also got the shits really bad for a week, the week after Thanksgiving.

i'm 42, morbidly obese with diabetes and high blood pressure, (6' tall, nearly 400 lbs)  1 toe amputated so far and enough bone taken out of my foot due to constant ulcers that my pinky toe is now permanently upright like i'm about to sip tea all bougie style lmao. that pinky toe may as well be a dolphin flipper as its permanently raised and all cartilage by this point i suspect.

all that to say, learning that i tested positive for covid last wednesday, and that all i got was a really bad cough for a few days and a week of the shits the week before, that caught me off guard. i'm grateful to be sure, i just expected that if i ever caught it i'd end up dying alone in a hospital. go figure the one guy you'd expect to keel over and drop dead actually made out mostly okay and been okay two weeks after showing symptoms. Theres still a bit of a lingering cough but that's because our mornings are in the 30s and 40s with really strong winds, so those winds will trigger a mild cough for a few minutes and then i'm okay again. 

some of my family who are all in better health than me and they're all easily half my weight if not smaller, they've been hit pretty hard with vomiting and weariness, lethargic feeling, loss of taste and smell. i'm thankful no one has needed to get admitted to a hospital, lots of rest and a ton of meds is what we all used to get through it.

for any of you that catch it or suspect you caught it, you've got my best wishes, my sincere prayers, and all the positive energy i can send your way if any of that makes any difference to you. i've lost some friends who went through the very worst of it, and i wouldn't wish this on anyone. 

And for anyone who's lost someone near the holidays, or you just dearly miss them as we get close to the holidays, my goodness have you got my prayers and sympathy too! I lost my grandfather before Christmas and that was weeks after the passing of my uncle, his only son, just before Thanksgiving some years back. November thru December of 98 fucking sucked and to be honest a double whammy like that, when in my uncle's case it was mostly out of nowhere and sudden, and then my grandfather grieved so bad he was gone not even a month later. Fuck, to this day there's some holidays I want to be alone, it will come back and hit me, the feeling of losing them back to back. So many of my buddies from high school were living it up as we'd graduated and now had jobs and party money. And I couldn't feel anything but crushing sorrow at losing two relatives that quickly and right before Thanksgiving and Xmas. 

I can totally relate to the sadness of loss around the holidays and just felt like sharing and saying for those of you feeling down, all my sympathy and prayers and best wishes as well for you and yours? 

Edited by Hayabusa
Should just say best wishes and prayers for all as get closer to the new year ?
  • Like 4

Hopefully, you steer clear of any of the bizarre complications some people get months down the line regardless of how severe they had it or what the symptoms were. If a bunch of people in 3 years who were asymptomatic start growing limbs out of their foreheads or something, this will be a curious development.

• Thanks 1

Well I tested positive today, my wife test negative and seems to be completely fine now, her cough and congestion have vanished, I have a very mild cough so far but my anxiety has jumped through the roof the past few days. So I am stuck in our bedroom atleast for two days (when my wife will get tested again) or until Christmas day (if she stays negative). It's gonna be hard cause especially being away from our son (he's 2) for that long he really likes his routine and me getting him out of bed if part of that so that's gonna be sad. I'm just gonna take it as time to catch up on comics and wrestling.

• Sad 3

Man, I feel really bad for all of you coming down with covid. I hope it's as mild for you that it is for me and my wife. Yesterday, I actually felt normal for the first time in weeks other than feeling tired and then today I woke up with my breathing feeling weird again. I have a feeling it's going to be like this for awhile where some days will feel fine and others not. 

In good news, my wife found out she's getting the vaccine on the 30th! I assume the rest of her staff will get it around that same time. We haven't talked to any of our other friends that are nurses to find out when they're getting it, but I'm sure it will be within the next couple weeks. 

• Like 2