DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

Hey dudes just a completely unrelated public service announcement...

If you're planning on voting in person in November, make sure the place you plan on going to for voting is actually open this year.  I received my county's pre-voting pamphlet and it turns out the school nearest to me is closed this time and that I need to go to a different place to vote Trump out.  To vote, I mean.  Just a completely unbiased heads-up.  To my Republican friends, remember that election day is November 10.  ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

Just now, The Natural said:

My Uncle with Dementia passed away yesterday. You knew it was coming soon but it still sucks. I'll likely say something on Facebook at some point. This fucking year.

I’m sorry dude. We’re all getting a ton of shit this year, but it seems like you’re getting an extra helping.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Control said:

I’m sorry dude. We’re all getting a ton of shit this year, but it seems like you’re getting an extra helping.

Cheers, mate. 2020 joins 2013, 2014 and 2006 as wretched years. 2014 was the worst of them.

Edited by The Natural

21 minutes ago, Control said:

Any of y’all wanna assure this Canadian that things in the US aren’t as dire as they seem? Cuz they seem, uh, dire.

Wish I could tell you that but you may want to ask again after the election.  Or maybe next year at this point.

Oh, and sorry for your loss @The Natural

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, The Natural said:

My Uncle with Dementia passed away yesterday. You knew it was coming soon but it still sucks. I'll likely say something on Facebook at some point. 2020...This fucking year.

I'm so sorry to hear this my friend.  My deepest condolences to you and your family.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Wish I could tell you that but you may want to ask again after the election.  Or maybe next year at this point.

Oh, and sorry for your loss @The Natural

Cheers, @NikoBaltimore.

1 hour ago, gatling said:

I'm so sorry to hear this my friend.  My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Thank you, my friend.

Thanks also to those who reacted to my post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

To my Republican friends, remember that election day is November 10.  ?

Yes, friends... It's actually November 11, 2021, don't let him fool you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well it finally happened: we had somebody test positive for COVID in my office.  Unsurprisingly it was the guy who thinks masks are dumb and was driving to other counties to go out to dinner with his wife.

I haven't had any direct contact with him and have only had incidental contact with someone who had incidental contact with him but I am getting a couple of days off while they disinfect the office.

• Like 1

If it passes, it better not be without some damn changes or this is going to be the status quo for a long time. 66-73 all over again minus the Vietnam cudgel.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

lol, turns out one of them actually shot himself in the leg.

What's the source on this? I've seen a few people saying it, but they're passing around an article about an incident from Sunday in Pineville, Louisiana.

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Thanks 1

Aw, man. I fell victim to the "only read the headline" thing. That's what I get for posting stuff right when I wake up.

But, it still does hold weight with the larger conversation at hand, since that officer shot himself and lied about it to cover it up.

My condolences Natural. One of my grandfathers went out the same way. Those last couple years were especially rough on my mom. 

Guardian says they arrested somebody for the shootings but still didn't say if they were protest-motivated. 

EDIT: NPR said they were responding to a call of shots fired. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

My condolences Natural. One of my grandfathers went out the same way. Those last couple years were especially rough on my mom. 

Guardian says they arrested somebody for the shootings but still didn't say if they were protest-motivated. 

EDIT: NPR said they were responding to a call of shots fired. 

Cheers, @Curt McGirt. Sorry about your grandfather having it and what it does to you/your Mum. Dementia is fucking terrible. My late Nan had it as well.

One grandmother had a form of that, but she was very old already, so when she passed she hadn't gotten into the horrible parts of it yet. I guess that's the only positive about her situation. She also had great in-home nurse care and a large family. Unlike the people where my other grandmother spent her final years after a stroke (her memory was all over the place, but she still knew who we were), you could tell a lot of the people had dementia and were just...gone. Every time I would visit her I'd see very few other family visiting theirs. It was sad to see, but I'm happy at least mine was still happy in whatever was left of her mental faculties.

It helps a lot of the family visited her and did holiday stuff with her at the home which was tradition when she was still living in her house. My grandfathers didn't have anything like dementia thankfully, one died younger and I never knew him and the other never had issues with his mind, thankfully. I don't know what the future brings with my parents and being an only kid makes it a lot weirder than when you 11 or 7 kids like my grandparents did, but we'll see what happens. They're nearing 70 and are fine so far. My heart always goes out to anyone with family suffering with these things.

• Thanks 1

so, my birthday is October 24th. i turn 38 this year. i say that, not to fish for bday wishes, but to mention that every year, i have a 3-day party. we're talking every year for like 15ish years. but of course, this is 2020, so fuck your plans.

i've used this as a chance to reach out to friends that i've fallen out with. not because of bad blood, but just due to life. and i've reconnected (virtually....) with some cool ass people. it feels fucking great. some of these folks i was tight with until life happened. i didn't know how much i missed some of these dudes until i was talking to them again. 

now's the time. reach out. set something up. i don't care if it's a zoom call, a lunch meeting, after work drinks, or an online gaming session. make it happen. 

• Like 4

I was at work and having a good day, and then my phone alert went off and I got a FB message from the sister of my childhood best friend. He's about six months younger than me, he'd just turned 37 in July, and he passed away from heart failure. He'd had some sort of undiagnosed heart condition. He'd had a lot of back problems and was having back surgery, which I'd known about because he'd mentioned being excited about having it finally moved up. Apparently, the strain of recuperation was too much for his heart. His parents came to see how he was holding up and found him.  For obvious reasons, I was no longer in a good mood and having a good day at work.

• Sad 5

Speaking of confusion, the power in our house went out... kinda. It's not a brown-out, where everything is at half mast. Some of the stuff is working and some of it isn't at all, specifically anything requiring a lot of power, like main lights. Some of them are half-working and some not at all. For some (lucky) reason the laptop is working and the phone is charging. Anyone ever have this happen to them before? This is a first for me. 

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Speaking of confusion, the power in our house went out... kinda. It's not a brown-out, where everything is at half mast. Some of the stuff is working and some of it isn't at all, specifically anything requiring a lot of power, like main lights. Some of them are half-working and some not at all. For some (lucky) reason the laptop is working and the phone is charging. Anyone ever have this happen to them before? This is a first for me. 

If you haven't done it already, you may want to check your circuit breaker box. If your main lights are off, start with that zone first and flip it off and on or back to on if it was totally kicked.

• Like 2