DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - AUTUMN 2019

Guest Edwin

UK Twitter is abuzz with Manchester United fans overjoyed - like, ecstatically, rapturously overjoyed - with news that the club may finally be getting sold. To Fucking Saudi Arabia.

Reminder: Manchester United fans are the scum of the Earth.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Tremendous game at Villa Park with the Villans defending stoutly and going up in the first half. Andy Robertson with the equalizer in the final five minutes and then Mane with the winner in the fifth minute of added time. So stressful but so much fun. I'll take the odd City-like thrashing of the opposition but I love this shit. 

• Like 1

Dijon beat PSG 2-1, Frankfurt beat Bayern 5-1, Levante beat Barcelona 3-1, Sevilla drew 1-1 with Atleti and Madrid drew 0-0 with Betis. Great weekend for football.

Also, Balotelli sent a ball flying to stands against Verona and pulled a he then pulled an Eto'o against Zaragoza and walked off the pitch due to racism from the Verona fans. Absolutely gross behavior.

Edited by Edwin

On 10/30/2019 at 11:33 AM, Pete said:

Single-elimination playoff rounds, MLS said. What could go wrong, MLS said.

What's gone wrong? Most of the games I have watched have been exciting. None of the hold out for a 1-0 result at home stuff anymore.

• Thanks 1

Holy shit, the Son tackle on Andre Gomes ends with a disgusting leg break (Gomes' foot was turned 90 degrees to the right), Son crying as he's red carded, and supporters in the first rows looking completely distraught. Wow.

Okay, so Son's tackle sent Gomes sprawling into Aurier and that's where the break happened. I've never seen fans so upset like that.

edit: Oviedo, McCarthy, Coleman (on Ireland duty), and now Gomes with all horrific leg breaks in the last 5 years.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Sad 1

Crucial game for Granada, too. La Real's attack this season has been nuts. Isak, Oyarzabal, Willian José, Porto and of course Martin Ødegaard who's gone from being a Spanish football meme to an incredible midfielder and winning player of the month in October.

On 11/2/2019 at 5:05 PM, Oyaji said:

Tremendous game at Villa Park with the Villans defending stoutly and going up in the first half. Andy Robertson with the equalizer in the final five minutes and then Mane with the winner in the fifth minute of added time. So stressful but so much fun. I'll take the odd City-like thrashing of the opposition but I love this shit. 

I took my best friend, Aje to see Bradford City at Valley Parade on Saturday. Aje supports Liverpool and he punched the air with Liverpool's late winner.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Holy shit, the Son tackle on Andre Gomes ends with a disgusting leg break (Gomes' foot was turned 90 degrees to the right), Son crying as he's red carded, and supporters in the first rows looking completely distraught. Wow.

Okay, so Son's tackle sent Gomes sprawling into Aurier and that's where the break happened. I've never seen fans so upset like that.

edit: Oviedo, McCarthy, Coleman (on Ireland duty), and now Gomes with all horrific leg breaks in the last 5 years.

I watched the video this morning. One of the worst injuries I've ever seen, period. Horrific. No wonder Sky and the BBC aren't showing it. Get well soon, Andre Gomes.

We'll never know if the La Real transportation problems were true or not, but they still managed to win 2-1 with a brace from Portu including an 89th minute game winner.

23 hours ago, Dewar said:

What's gone wrong? Most of the games I have watched have been exciting. None of the hold out for a 1-0 result at home stuff anymore.

If you're ABC and you're choosing between a New York/LA final and a Seattle/Toronto final, it shouldn't be a hard choice.

As I've said previously, a straight home-and-home (no away goals rule) would also eliminate the park-the-bus philosophy. If both teams win or tie, extra time and penalties if necessary.

Speaking of final changes -- the Copa Libertadores has been changed and for the first time will be held under a single leg. Previously it was played as a two leg final on Wednesday's. This time it will be played as a single leg on a Saturday. The final is River Plate from Argentina against Flamengo from Brazil.

Got to root for Flamengo as I'm not a fan of River's association with Madrid (despite Simeone and his families history with the club, they have a Di Stefano Madrid jersey in their stadium museum) and also Atleti legend Filipe Luís is playing with Flamengo, so gotta support our boy.

Edited by Edwin

I'm not ABC. If the MLS television deal actually paid teams any money, I might shed a tear for them. The ratings are up 36% over last season's playoffs, and the highest since 2012.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2019/10/31/20942714/mls-cup-playoff-ratings-rebound-after-rough-start

New York's quarterfinal match barely drew over 100K against Toronto on FS1. The Toronto-Atlanta semifinal on FS1 drew triple that number, while going up against World Series game 7. Maybe MLS should be unhappy that Atlanta missed out.

27 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Speaking of final changes -- the Copa Libertadores has been changed and for the first time will be held under a single leg. Previously it was played as a two leg final on Wednesday's. This time it will be played as a single leg on a Saturday. The final is River Plate from Argentina against Flamengo from Brazil. Got to root for Flamengo as I'm not a fan of River's association with Madrid (despite Simeone and his families ties with the club, they have a De Stefano Madrid jersey in their stadium museum) and also Atleti legend Filipe Luís is playing with Flamengo, so gotta support our boy.

There is also some consternation about the game being held in Chile, given the civil unrest there of late. 

they also changed the Copa Sudamericana (the Europa League equivalent) to a one legged final as a test run to see how the one game final will work. 

27 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I'm not ABC. If the MLS television deal actually paid teams any money, I might shed a tear for them. The ratings are up 36% over last season's playoffs, and the highest since 2012.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2019/10/31/20942714/mls-cup-playoff-ratings-rebound-after-rough-start

New York's quarterfinal match barely drew over 100K against Toronto on FS1. The Toronto-Atlanta semifinal on FS1 drew triple that number, while going up against World Series game 7. Maybe MLS should be unhappy that Atlanta missed out.

As always, the American network would probably prefer there be no Canadian team in the final to effect the ratings. 

I watched the game on Univision Deportes and Hristo Stoichkov was heavily critical of Griezmann and Dembélé. His main criticism of Griezmann was he was always out of position and he questions Dembélé's dedication to training as he made a lot of poor offensive decisions.