DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 17: Rodriguez vs. Stephens (9/21/2019) - Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico (Arena Ciudad de México)

Elsalvajeloco

69563364_737324776737960_539091273082575

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 17: Rodríguez vs. Stephens 
September 21, 2019
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico (Arena Ciudad de México)

Yair Rodríguez (145) vs. Jeremy Stephens (145) - No Contest (Stephens Unable to Continue Due to Accidental Eyepoke), R1 (0:15)
Carla Esparza (115) vs. Alexa Grasso (116) - Esparza, DEC (majority)
Brandon Moreno (124) vs. Askar Askarov (125) - DRAW (split)
Irene Aldana (135) vs. Vanessa Melo (140)* - Aldana, DEC (unanimous)
Martín Bravo (144) vs. Steven Peterson (146) - Peterson, KO (spinning backfist), R2 (1:31)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
José Alberto Quiñónez (134) vs. Carlos Huachin (136) - Quiñónez, DEC (unanimous)
Polo Reyes (145) vs. Kyle Nelson (146) - Nelson, TKO (strikes), R1 (1:36)
Ariane Carnelossi (112) vs. Angela Hill (115) - Hill, TKO (doctor stoppage due to cut), R3 (1:56)
Sergio Pettis (124) vs. Tyson Nam (126) - Pettis, DEC (unanimous)
Vinicius Moreira (206) vs. Paul Craig (206) - Craig, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:19)
Sijara Eubanks (135) vs. Bethe Correia (136) - Correia, DEC (unanimous)
Claudio Puelles (155) vs. Marcos Mariano (154) - Puelles, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Paul Craig
Performance of the Night: Steven Peterson
Fight of the Night: Carla Esparza vs. Alexa Grasso

Attendance: 10,112

Cancelled Fights:
Angela Hill vs. Istela Nunes - Injury to Nunes
Sergio Pettis vs. Alex Perez - Injury to Perez
Marion Reneau vs. Irene Aldana - Reneau Withdrew From Bout    

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Besides the Suarez fight, which can be forgiven due to the level of opposition and the style matchup, Esparza has been competitive in every fight since she lost to Joanna and that's almost five years ago now. If Grasso pulls this one off, that would be really impressive.

I'm surprised it took this long for Tyson Nam to get to this level. I know he had some losses along the way since he steamrolled Dudu Dantas on that Shooto Brasil B.O.P.E. card (which happened the week of UFC 134, the return of the UFC to Brazil), but it's not like he was losing to awful opposition.  He will likely never be a top 10 fighter, but his style is suited for fun fights.

I know the odds are too close for Stephens to be considered a live dog, but it feels like this is a dangerous matchup for Yair. Not because of any stylistic reason because I feel like a wrestler is going to stifle Yair moreso than a straight up brawler. It's just that Stephens always finds a way to pull off a win that keeps himself relevant. Add in the fact that Yair is coming off another layoff, which he likely needed. However, he still has only had one fight in two years. If you're a fighter with a more free flowing style like Yair Rodriguez, Jeremy Stephens is a pretty tough draw to work the rust off with. It's going to be interesting to see if Yair is going to be just a tad bit conservative especially since Mexico City is at high altitude and ease himself into the fight.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Besides the Suarez fight, which can be forgiven due to the level of opposition and the style matchup, Esparza has been competitive in every fight since she lost to Joanna and that's almost five years ago now. If Grasso pulls this one off, that would be really impressive.

I'm surprised it took this long for Tyson Nam to get to this level. I know he had some losses along the way since he steamrolled Dudu Dantas on that Shooto Brasil B.O.P.E. card (which happened the week of UFC 134, the return of the UFC to Brazil), but it's not like he was losing to awful opposition.  He will likely never be a top 10 fighter, but his style is suited for fun fights.

I know the odds are too close for Stephens to be considered a live dog, but it feels like this is a dangerous matchup for Yair. Not because of any stylistic reason because I feel like a wrestler is going to stifle Yair moreso than a straight up brawler. It's just that Stephens always finds a way to pull off a win that keeps himself relevant. Add in the fact that Yair is coming off another layoff, which he likely needed. However, he still has only had one fight in two years. If you're a fighter with a more free flowing style like Yair Rodriguez, Jeremy Stephens is a pretty tough draw to work the rust off with. It's going to be interesting to see if Yair is going to be just a tad bit conservative especially since Mexico City is at high altitude and ease himself into the fight.

agreed on all accounts. i actually had to double check and make sure Tyson Nam hadn't been in the UFC a while and i had overlooked him. the win over Dantas really made him a "this dude is for real" contender, but Marlon Moraes in that moment was a perfect example of "steal your momentum and add it to my own"

Stephens remains one of my favorites and i can't wait to see this match. i lean towards Yair pulling it off but it's gonna be a fun one!

• Like 1

Someone must really owe Anderson Silva a favor because that can be the only logical explanation as to why Marcos Mariano is (safely assuming he won't be for much longer) in the UFC. He might have the worst takedown defense in UFC history. If not, he is in the top 3 easily.

The problem is if you keep coming forward and don't try to stop someone from kneeing and elbowing you is you'll eventually run into something. Angela Hill already fought Jessica Andrade so it's not like she hasn't seen that type of aggression before. The thing is Carnelossi definitely ain't Jessica Andrade.

I think Alexa Grasso is my favourite fighter. I even can identify with her flaws. 

If two of those judges gave Esparza the first round I'm going to flip out. Are we using the newer rules with more liberal use of 10-8 rounds?

Edited by Oyaji

I mean, her fucking arm was at a 135 degree angle and she was nearly knocked out. What do you have to do get a 10-8? And then two of those cocksuckers gave Esparza the first for getting two takedowns and doing fucking NOTHING with them. What a joke. This loss won't really hurt Grasso much but I hope she learns and shows a bit more killer instinct. Still super impressed with her athleticism, which is what I thought would hold Grasso back against the elite of the UFC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

I mean, her fucking arm was at a 135 degree angle and she was nearly knocked out. What do you have to do get a 10-8? And then two of those cocksuckers gave Esparza the first for getting two takedowns and doing fucking NOTHING with them. What a joke. This loss won't really hurt Grasso much but I hope she learns and shows a bit more killer instinct. Still super impressed with her athleticism, which is what I thought would hold Grasso back against the elite of the UFC.

Grasso certainly doesn't seem as shellshocked as she did at the beginning of her UFC run.

As for 10-8s, they gave all the judges gave Claudio Puelles two 10-8s when you can argue all three rounds were 10-8 because Mariano landed literally three strikes in fifteen minutes and laid on his back for 14:50 of 15:00. I think whoever the judges are won't score a 10-8 unless the person losing the round does absolutely nothing. 

• Like 1