DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Kevin Owens to AEW CONFIRMED - 9/10/2019

Dolfan in NYC

11 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

The firing gimmick has no legs in a world with AEW in it. Everyone knows a guy like Kevin Owens has options.

In defense though, that's still an indictment on creative more than anything even then. I mean, Austin vs. McMahon happened at the height of the Monday Night Wars, and everyone knew damn well Vince McMahon would never REALLY fire Austin and in the process, hand him to WCW on a silver platter. Hell, Vince even made it a plot point "I'm not firing you because I know how popular you are and WCW would just sign you, I'll just make your life a living hell until you fall in line just to stop the torture."

And yet, fans actually bought into WWF using "Vince will fire Austin if he doesn't become Vince's lapdog" and saw the stakes as being important enough to care about.You didn't hear people chanting "WCW!" or "ECW!" when Austin was punished or risked being fired.

If the storyline is gripping enough, AEW would be noise in a storyline like Shane/Owens.

7 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I mean building up a guy as being small in order to show him doing shocking strength spots isn’t a bad play, right. The thing is everyone has made short jokes about him before his KOTR matches, and then he’s made them eat there words each time by beating the guys who take shots at him. Hell, he beat Shane twice! That’s Shane who took AJ Styles to the limit (as groan worthy as that can be)

It feels like WWE has been going back to basics in recent weeks which is great for them. Just sucks they kinda botched the Owens storyline a good deal.

Honestly, that's the worst part of this story as well, because the Owens storyline is so essential you can't even be as excited about the Gable storyline.

Seriously- the whole storyline is "Shane McMahon has total control and power over Smackdown and can do what he wants."  If those are the rules of the show, why should we expect Gable to have beaten Shane when Shane could conceivably say on Monday "Nope, I decided the match is unsanctioned because I lost it, so the match never happened so I never lost...and by the way, Chad Gable must be this tall to make the KOTR cut, so he's been retroactively disqualified, so I get in the finals, and I decide Baron Corbin is disqualified because I said so. Crown me King of the Ring.''

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 10:50 AM, Burgundy LaRue said:

I think they screwed up by having him destroyed by Braun last year. It's one thing if KO had gotten the best on Braun at least once during their feud. But it was all Braun, throwing KO off every ladder and cage in the arena. Getting flipped over in a port-a-potty. Having rental cars destroyed. Being a putz for Shane is par for the course.

That's what killed any and all interest I had in Owens, haven't been able to take him seriously since.

Does Austin own Stone Cold? I mean even without going too far behind the curtain or digging into the dirt sheets, going back to work for Eric Bischoff at the height of the Monday Night Wars as "Tepid Terrain" or Lukewarm Steve Austin doesn't seem like a great alternative. Vince doesn't acknowledge the competition or else he could've posed the threat to Austin in that context. Austin had already mockingly impersonated Bischoff and made it known how unceremoniously he was fired from WCW, during his brief stopover in ECW.   

Edited by FluffSnackwell

Besides all the reasons everyone listed as to why the Owens/Shane stuff is The Stupid, why do we have to keep seeing storyline after storyline about how all these wrestlers are beholden to the almighty McMahons for their jobs and have to grovel. Hulk Hogan was such a big star with so much money he gladly paid the fines when Kevin Nash was powerbombing bitches left and right back in the day on Nitro. Kevin Owens is a god damn WWE Superstar. Do they pay these guys so little that if Owens gets a $100k fine his kid can't go to college? WWE is supposed to be The Big Time. Poor schmucks like you and me are supposed to be living paycheck to paycheck, not the top of the card in the biggest wrestling company in the world(as they will gladly tell you).  AAAAAAH, it's all so dumb

• Like 2

We make movies, Pal!

They did the "Guy who has no money and has to do what the rich person says" angle with career headliner Shawn Michaels as the pauper, and midcard for life JBL as the wealthy one. Which, if Michaels really was that financially irresponsible with the millions he'd made in his career, we shouldn't be feeling sorry for him. We should think he's brought it on himself by being needlessly profligate. If they'd bought back Marty Janetty or someone for that spot, it would have made sense.

• Like 1