DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/10/20

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

James Paxton has undergone surgery to remove a cyst from his spine.  

He's schedule to be back around late May-early June

Motherfucker. There's the first blow to my fantasy team I already drafted for. Two more drafts to go.

I'm understanding of the situation. Would I prefer to have Mookie on my team in 2020 and beyond? Yes. To steal a popular line from a way back... "That's a clown question, bro". Mookie is one of the five best players in the league. He made the Red Sox better. He's going to make the Dodgers better. He'll make whatever team he's on in 2021 and beyond better.

But it's like ripping off a band-aid. To be done cleanly, it had to be done quickly. This is not the result of John Henry suddenly deciding "Well, I don't want to spend any more money on the Red Sox." The years leading up to this had so many inflection points. 

There was so many times that the Sox could have faced the music and tried to set things up for a sustainable, successful future that were missed. For example, after the 2018 title, the Red Sox resigned Sale and Eovaldi for high value. The reason? There wasn't too much on the market, and Red Sox fans wouldn't accept stepping back after a season where they won the title. While Dombrowski's the one who did the move, Henry obviously had to sign off on it, and I'm betting that's a decision he's regretted bitterly.

I've seen some Red Sox fans say "The difference between the Sox offer and Mookie's demand was $120 million. The Red Sox are worth five billion. PAY THE MAN HIS MONEY". Again, I have some sympathy for that view. But let's look at the situation as it stood this off season.

If you pay Betts somewhere close to his 12/420 demand, you're not only adding 35 million a year in salary, but over the next three years, you're adding an extra $100 million in luxury tax payments and further crippling the farm system with Draft Pick Penalties.  And to surround Betts with future players (because again, the farm system cupboard is pretty freaking bare without this trade, not ot mention any possible penalties if Cora is found to have brought the sign stealing system to the Sox) just keeps adding more and more and more and more. There has to be a point where even Billionaires can't countenance it.

In Verdugo and Graterol, we get two top 100 prospects. This season was already treading downhill, thanks to injury concerns, especially when it comes to lack of pitching that can survive a season. Oh yeah, and the Sox don't have a manager, thanks to the Astros (and Red Sox) sign stealing controversies. That's why the over/under on the Sox 2020 season only went down ONE WIN (from 87.5 to 86.5) after trading a top 10 MVP candidate and a still pretty good (if injury risky and way overpaid) pitcher.

It's not like John Henry hasn't had a record of bringing the Sox success. Four titles in fifteen years is something that just about any team in any sport would love to have. And being a fan of soccer, I have a somewhat similar situation to fall back on, and surprise it's a John Henry-owned team. Liverpool was forced to sell one of the best players in the world, to Barcelona, and a lot of people wondered if Liverpool would just simply become just another selling team when the big clubs called. Now they have the largest lead in Premier League history, are the champions of Europe (and the World), and look to go from strength to strength.

Once it became clear that signing Mookie and keeping a championship-calibre team around him would require oh, say a spare half-billion or so (and that number would not go down, only UP), then it became time to face the music, take the medicine and try to set up something so that when we slide from the heights, we catch ourselves before it turns into a full fledged fall to the bottom, and start climbing back up.

It sucks. It really does. I mean, we're talking about a player that did THIS in a meaningless end-season game last year.

https://youtu.be/WQsd3QcLoIc?t=344

But there was really no good options here.

edit: and I'd still have John Henry as my owner over just about any other owner our there. Think of it this way, we could be the Mets clown car of ownership.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

I'm understanding of the situation. Would I prefer to have Mookie on my team in 2020 and beyond? Yes. To steal a popular line from a way back... "That's a clown question, bro". Mookie is one of the five best players in the league. He made the Red Sox better. He's going to make the Dodgers better. He'll make whatever team he's on in 2021 and beyond better.

But it's like ripping off a band-aid. To be done cleanly, it had to be done quickly. This is not the result of John Henry suddenly deciding "Well, I don't want to spend any more money on the Red Sox." The years leading up to this had so many inflection points. 

[A whole lot of Red Sox water-carrying snipped.]

Well, that was quick.  One stage of grief down in less than 24 hours.  Next comes Pain and Guilt.  The bargaining stage gets ugly though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

What's hysterical (at least to me) is that it was ESPN's own shitty reporting that started this

They even try to hand wave it away in that article

Kinda like Deflategate 

The Betts trade is still not done because the Red Sox apparently aren't thrilled with the medicals of Graterol (who already had TJ and missed a chunk of time last year with a shoulder injury)

Trade might get amended but that is why it isn't official yet

Dodgers and Max Muncy agree to a 3 year, $26 million extension. 4th year option of $13.5 million

Buys out his arbitration years. The option would cover his first year of FA

• Like 1

Ron Manfred confirmed that the Mets sale is dead

"There is not going to be a transaction," Manfred said at the end of an owners meeting. "I can tell you, and it's based on conversations with the buyer and the seller on an ongoing basis, the assertion that the transaction fell apart because of something the Wilpons did is completely and utterly unfair."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Ron Manfred confirmed that the Mets sale is dead

Not "untrue", just "unfair".  

Oh, I salivate at finding out whatever stupid shit Fred pulled at the last second that spooked Cohen.  NY Times, do your thing. 

• Like 3

Another weird quirk that came up with all the Betts trade stuff

Joc Pederson's arb hearing is today. So since they were faced with one of two bad scenarios

A) the Dodgers have to argue against a guy they are about to trade away

or 

B) The Angels have to argue against a guy they literally haven't met yet

apparently MLB had a third party lawyer present the "team's" case

And the decision of the arb hearing could slightly tweak the terms of the trade

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

...because of course it is

Vintage Mets

BTW, the word around these parts is that the Wilpons basically kept pushing back the dates they'd give up control of the team (from 5 to 7 years depending on who you believe), and they would also not give up control of their TV assets (or wouldn't for like 20 years).  So Cohen told them to fuck themselves.

"Unfair" 

• Like 4

Also, Hunter Pence has a deal with San Francisco.

And since I forgot he was a person, I legitimately thought that someone on Twitter was being cute about the Vice President's son having gotten a job.

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Not "untrue", just "unfair".  

Oh, I salivate at finding out whatever stupid shit Fred pulled at the last second that spooked Cohen.  NY Times, do your thing. 

As a Marlins fan (who he allowed to get screwed by slumlord owners who pillaged their own organization) I'm sure you of all people can attest to the sky high character and integrity of Manfred.

• Like 2

The Betts deal as we know it is dead as the Twins have pulled out

Basically the Sox wanted another top 10 prospect from them and Minnesota told them to go fuck themselves

Okay - the Betts deal is done again. Only in two seperate parts

The Dodgers and Red Sox are trading directly with each other and the Dodgers and Twins are dealing directly with each other

Part 1

The Dodgers and Red Sox have once again agreed to a trade that will send outfielder Mookie Betts and lefty David Price to the Dodgers, according to ESPN’s Jeff Passan. The Red Sox will include $48MM to cover half of the remaining salary on David Price’s contract. In this updated version of the deal, Alex Verdugo, minor league shortstop Jeter Downs, and catching prospect Connor Wong comprise the package heading to Boston. If we haven’t learned our lesson, the deal is pending medical reviews.

Part 2

Interestingly enough, now that the Mookie Betts to the Dodgers deal is again near completion, the rest of the baseball world can move on. That includes the Minnesota Twins, who are completing their leg of this mega-deal in a new iteration.

The Twins will now receive right-handed pitcher Kenta Maeda, along with $10MM cash from the Dodgers, per The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal (Twitter links). They are also likely to receive a lower level prospect from the Dodgers, per Rosenthal, though the name of that prospect has not yet been revealed. Another report has the Twins sending an additional prospect to the dodgers, per The Athletic’s Dan Hayes. That player is said to be an outfielder, per MLB Networks Jon Heyman.

If your head is spinning at this point, that’s okay. In total, Maeda, $10MM cash and a prospect is headed to the Twins for Brusdar Graterol, a draft pick (#67 overall) and another prospect. Deals are still pending physicals, which of course, is no small caveat, though expectations are that the deal will go through. We’ll keep this post updated as the names of those final prospects come rolling in.