DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/10/20

Dolfan in NYC

Red Sox are hiring Rays VP of baseball operations, Chaim Bloom, to be their President of Baseball Operations (aka their GM)

Chaim is quite the "Yup I am 36 years old" name

(FYI - he was supposedly the runner up last year for the Mets search)

Michael Saunders will be officially retiring after attempting to get Canada through 2020 Olympic qualifying

(Yes I too thought he was already retired)

The Braves have named him the manager of their Rookie-level affiliate in the Appalachian League.

Brewers bench coach Pat Murphy is the Mets MYSTERY~! candidate and has had at least two interviews so far.

Though local reporters are saying there are more "unnamed candidates"

Some are also claiming that Eduardo Perez is a lock to get the job

On 10/25/2019 at 12:40 PM, RIPPA said:

Red Sox are hiring Rays VP of baseball operations, Chaim Bloom, to be their President of Baseball Operations (aka their GM)

Chaim is quite the "Yup I am 36 years old" name

giphy-17.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

So the Pirates have decided to fire GM Neil Huntington which was WAY overdue

To follow up on this - because they need a new GM now, they are "pausing" their manager search

Why does a team need a scapegoat when they won their division and made it to the Championship Series, while having like 90% of their players hurt for most of the year? Inject that kind of failure right into my veins...

On 10/28/2019 at 11:23 AM, elizium said:

Why does a team need a scapegoat when they won their division and made it to the Championship Series, while having like 90% of their players hurt for most of the year? Inject that kind of failure right into my veins...

You don't understand, it's the Bankees; anything less than winning the WS in four is considered a horrible loss of prestige which causes their fans to urinate on each other and eat their young. Try to be more sympathetic to the team built by a big, fat drunken bastard who could hit the long ball.

14 hours ago, OSJ said:

You don't understand, it's the Bankees; anything less than winning the WS in four is considered a horrible loss of prestige which causes their fans to urinate on each other and eat their young. Try to be more sympathetic to the team built by a big, fat drunken bastard who could hit the long ball.

I like you, John. You're a writer; you're creative, but this is bush league material. You're better than that. 

• Like 1

Reminder that now that the World Series is over it is OPTION DECISION TIME~!

I am pretty sure for everyone a decision needs to be made within 5 days of the World Series ending

The first notable decision so far is the Yankees declining Edwin Encarnacion's $20 million option (He gets a $5 million buyout)

Some other notable option decisions (all money is in millions)

DIDN'T EXERCISE OPT OUT

Yu Darvish (Cubs)

Kenley Jansen (Dodgers)

PICKED UP

Indians - Corey Kluber ($17.5)

Reds - Freddy Galvis ($5)

As - Yusmeiro Petit ($5.5)

DECLINED

Indians - Jason Kipnis ($16.5, $2.5 buyout)

Marlins - Starlin Castro ($16, $1 buyout)

Phillies - Pat Neshek ($7, $750K)

Rangers - Welington Castillo ($8, $500K)A

Padres - Adam Warren $2, $500K)B

A - notable because the White Sox traded him to the Rangers so they could save money on the buyout (The Rangers also got international pool money)

B - notable because it turns out Warren had Tommy John surgery at the very end of Sept and will miss the 2020 season.

EDIT - Forgot to include that the Braves didn't pick up their end of Billy Hamilton's mutual option. No shock there

Aroldis Chapman will opt out of his deal with the Yankees if they are unable to work out an extension (he currently has 2 years, $30 million remaining)

The deadline is tomorrow for him to decide.

If he opts out - the Yanks will most certainly offering him Qualifying Offer which he will most assuredly reject.

Personally - I sure as fuck hope Brian Cashman has wished him luck in his future endeavors.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 8:59 AM, RIPPA said:

John is just still bitter that Babe Ruth stuck him with the check one night

Fat bastard had a dozen hot dogs! Who does that?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Aroldis Chapman will opt out of his deal with the Yankees if they are unable to work out an extension (he currently has 2 years, $30 million remaining)

The deadline is tomorrow for him to decide.

If he opts out - the Yanks will most certainly offering him Qualifying Offer which he will most assuredly reject.

Personally - I sure as fuck hope Brian Cashman has wished him luck in his future endeavors.

As someone who didn't pay that much attention to Chapman this past season, is his arm looking like it's used up? I always thought 2017 or 2018 would be rough for him considering the Dusty level effort Maddon gave in riding Chapman into the ground, but his velocity and control still look ok.

I am going to quote part of trade rumors since it is easier

Chapman’s on-field performance in 2019 was arguably the best of any of his three full seasons under his current deal. He tossed 57 innings — his most since signing — and worked to a pristine 2.21 ERA with averages of 13.4 strikeouts, 4.0 walks and just 0.47 home runs allowed per nine innings pitched. That home-run rate is particularly impressive given his hitter-friendly home parks (and several others in the AL East) as well as the league-wide homer spike with this year’s superball. Chapman racked up 37 saves in 2019, marking his seventh 30-save season in the past eight years.

It’s true that Chapman doesn’t throw as hard as he used to. But while he’s no longer averaging 100.4 mph on his heater, this season’s 98.4 mph average still ranked as the sixth-highest among the 458 relievers who tossed at least 10 innings. In all, he’s given the Yankees 158 2/3 innings of 2.61 ERA ball with 91 saves, 14.0 K/9 and 4.3 BB/9 over the first three years of the deal (including two All-Star nods). He’s added on another 16 1/3 innings of 1.65 ERA ball with a 29-to-7 K/BB ratio in the postseason, though this year’s final impression — a series-ending, walk-off homer to Jose Altuve — wasn’t a favorable note on which to end that otherwise strong run.

HOWEVER - not mentioned in that is that he still remains fragile (Heck he only threw 9 innings the entire month of Sept as the Yanks tried to save him for the playoffs)

And that is just discussing the on field issues with him

• Like 1

Since the Giants dicked Hensley Meulens over he is reportedly going to become the Marlins hitting coach (and unofficially be manager in waiting for when they finally tire of Mattingly)