DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network Conversation

RIPPA

I turned on the Bump, because I love McKenzie Mitchell as my favorite interviewer girl so I wanted to watch whatever she ends up doing and she has been listed as a host but then she's not even on until the last 3 minutes of the hour... lol. I like Kayla but it's just her and some random dudes and a lot of Seth on this episode. I feel like this won't be much different from the eventual FS1 show just with Renee & Booker instead.

• 3 weeks later...

More important than finally having a dedicated system for "My List" is finally the ability to remove things from "Continue Watching." For so long the Continue Watching section was a graveyard for all the shows that I only wanted to watch a single segment from and would probably never watch the whole thing ever.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:05 PM, hammerva said:

I mean did anyone really watch the RAW and Smackdown post game shows when they were on the Network?  

Somebody must have, because people ended up alerting me the occasional must-see interview/Daniel Bryan outburst. I thank those heroes, because I doubt I could make it through an entire one of those shows even as background noise. 

• 5 weeks later...

So, random question here. Watching Old WCW Thunder(it's REALLY hard to keep yourself entertained working night shift)and Mike Awesome and Crowbar come out as Those 70s Guys. I have absolutely no memory of this or how we got here. How did they end up teaming and why were they both 70s guys?

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I remember Awesome as That 70's Guy, but I have zero recollection of Crowbar following suit.

And at some point Crowbar even had Daffney dressed up in 70s gear! And this is where I feel like I'm crazy, cause I remember a story where Crowbar had the hots for Daffney, but she friend zoned him, then started dating a dude that looked just like him(the name Ashley Hudson jumps out). None of this has shown up on any episodes I've watched, but we got Crowbar in bell bottoms.

Fuck, I think I might be high

22 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

So, random question here. Watching Old WCW Thunder(it's REALLY hard to keep yourself entertained working night shift)and Mike Awesome and Crowbar come out as Those 70s Guys. I have absolutely no memory of this or how we got here. How did they end up teaming and why were they both 70s guys?

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I remember Awesome as That 70's Guy, but I have zero recollection of Crowbar following suit.

2 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

And at some point Crowbar even had Daffney dressed up in 70s gear! And this is where I feel like I'm crazy, cause I remember a story where Crowbar had the hots for Daffney, but she friend zoned him, then started dating a dude that looked just like him(the name Ashley Hudson jumps out). None of this has shown up on any episodes I've watched, but we got Crowbar in bell bottoms.

Fuck, I think I might be high

having watched late WCW Thunder like 2 years ago, here's what i recall:

i think Crowbar showing up in 70s gear along with Awesome WAS what got us there. i don't remember any storyline, promo, or mention whatsoever leading up to that happening. is that when he's randomly doing commentary a couple times? he was actually pretty entertaining doing his Gordon Solie spoof.

that Crowbar-Daffney-Crowbar lookalike love triangle (?) lasted like 1-2 episodes and was never mentioned again. Like most of late 2000s WCW.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I probably missed somewhere else is being discussed, but the Austin/Taker interview is great and well worth your time.

2 minutes ago, Morganti said:

It was really good.  Taker is such an interesting dude.  Him choking up talking about mania 30 was haunting.

Yeah, as a fan of the Undertaker since a boy this was a must watch as its very rare to see 'Taker talk out of character. I found Undertaker's talk about WrestleMania XXX and XXXIII particularly interesting, he seemed disappointed with both of them. Be great to get a sequel to this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

@Matt D will not be happy that Taker and Austin shit on Buzz Sawyer (only as a person though... praised his work)

I'm the guy who thinks Invader I is one of the five best sellers of all time and isn't afraid to say it. Buzz was probably a terrible human being but what we've gotten from him in 83 has been great, even his babyface work.

Taker interview is a MUST-WATCH.  Haven't even gotten to the 30 match yet.  It's worth it alone for the fear he had that he was the one coming out of the egg at Survivor Series.

I thought the heat between Taker and Sawyer was well-known.  Cappetta in his book talked about Taker threatening to beat the shit out of Buzz when they were both in WCW.  If anything, I felt like Taker kinda went easy on him in the interview.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I remember the story about how Buzz ripped off Magnum when Buzz was going to start training him. So I wouldnt be surprised by any story about Buzz being a bad guy. 

The story Taker tells is that he and a bunch of guys gave Buzz money to train them.

They show up at Buzz's house and Buzz answers the door (naked) and had forgotten he agreed to train them.

All Buzz does is stretch them - they literally never got in a wrestling ring. Then one day - maybe 6 or 8 weeks in - Taker and the remaining guys show up and Buzz has completely split town because he left for a new territory. Buzz had left behind two rottweilers so Taker took them

• Like 1

OH! The best story Taker told was probably about how he is brought in to be Sid's replacement in the Skyscrapers and how he learned what a legit tough guy Danny Spivey was.

Basically he talks about how after the Clash angle where Spivey beats the hell out of the Road Warriors with a chair, Taker is convinced Hawk and Animal are going to start a fight in the back. So when the Roadies get there, they are all just GREAT JOB DAN!! and leave them be. And Taker realized then it was because everyone was scared of Spivey.

He then says they were supposed to go to TV and Spivey just calls Taker and says "Tell Ole I'm done" and he never shows up at TV.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The story Taker tells is that he and a bunch of guys gave Buzz money to train them.

They show up at Buzz's house and Buzz answers the door (naked) and had forgotten he agreed to train them.

All Buzz does is stretch them - they literally never got in a wrestling ring. Then one day - maybe 6 or 8 weeks in - Taker and the remaining guys show up and Buzz has completely split town because he left for a new territory. Buzz had left behind two rottweilers so Taker took them

You're missing the part about Buzz charging Taker $2500 (in 1980s dollars) to get stretched and nothing else.  Those were expensive dogs.

Quotes from Cappetta's book, Taker about Buzz Sawyer:

"I promised myself I would track that Sawyer down and make that motherfucker pay for what he did to me."

Taker later confronts Sawyer in a WCW dressing room and says "Remember me, motherfucker?  Is it coming back to you, you worthless piece of shit?"   Sawyer and Taker have a verbal fight that is broken up, when Sawyer leaves Taker adds "I'm going to break that asshole's legs.  His legs and arms.  All of them."  Cappetta suggested he just let it go, Taker responds "I'm going to wait until the time is right.  I'll catch him alone.  Buzz won't know what hit him.  It'll be quick."  

Which never happened since Buzz left WCW weeks later and died about two years after that.  

Unless that was when the time was right...

• Thanks 6

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Taker realized then it was because everyone was scared of Spivey.

He's one of those guys no one brings up when the inevitable 'wrestling tough guy Meng jerkathon' topics gets brought up, but folks like Stan Hansen and Ron Fuller have long singled Spivey out as someone not to fuck with

That is definitely part of the problem in that match, but I don't think Austin and Taker ever really clicked together.

I'm not sure Austin's rough and tumble brawling style worked real well with guys that were a lot bigger than him.