DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network Conversation

RIPPA

You can objectively argue that the WCW Thunder episode 23/12/99 is the worst 2 hours of any professional wrestling show ever aired on TV.

Starts with the NWO reformation promo in-ring that they half-ass the presentation on - no-one wearing the colours, Jarrett kinda looks on from afar while the other guys yuck it up, at no point do you think they're a unit, or that this being a long-term con is in any way believable. Bret's promo is worse than Hogan's Memphis heeling in the early days of the NWO, although funny for the awkwardness of him taking shots at Shawn Michaels while in the ring with Hall/Nash. Jarrett cuts a promo telling everyone he's the Chosen One, but he's clearly the 4th banana of the group.

PG-13 vs The Varsity Club which ends in a fuck finish. No-one cares about either team before or after this match. I completely forgot that PG-13 were in WCW. No clear heel/face alignment. This just eats up time.

The Harris Boys drop the Creative Control gimmick and yell at Russo and Curt Hennig. I feel like whatever this was it didn't last long, like not even a month before they were heel again? Given that the big deal is that they turned up on bikes, are they trying to dare WWF into another copyright infringement lawsuit?

Filthy Animals/Jim Duggan never-ending promo sets up a 6 man with the Revolution later that night. If there's ever a guy who never got the credit he deserved for not putting guys over, it's Jim Duggan. (Duggan reminds everyone at every possible opportunity how little he thought of Austin/beating him in 30 seconds at Starrcade). He spends the entirety of the match on the apron trying to get himself over with his USA chants rather than focusing on the match, and once he's tagged in, he barely sells for them. Can anyone think of a time where Duggan convincingly put over a younger talent?

Abbott squashes La Parka. Doesn't really go anywhere other than to further a feud with Doug Dillinger....

Promo for The Artist Formerly Known As Prince Iaukea. Gimmick is shelved 5-6 months later.

Finlay vs Norman Smiley Hardcore match..........showcases Meng who is in the WWF in a month's time.

Harris Twins vs Jarrett and Hennig - Jarrett never shows up. Hennig takes a fairly tame beating and quick loss. Jarrett and the rest of the NWO show up and lay a beatdown on the Harris Twins. 

Bam Bam Bigelow vs The Maestro - I feel like the Maestro was gone by the time the New Blood vs Millionaires Club started, and they had no further use for his Gorgeous George gimmick. This sets up the Kanyon vs Bam Bam feud that I think at least went somewhere. 

Evan Karagias debuts 3 Count.....who then proceed to get beaten up single handedly by Chavo Jr.

Vampiro and The Misfits attack David Flair at a gas station but are beaten up by David Flair and a gas station attendant later come to be known as Crowbar.

Nash vs The Wall goes for about 2 minutes before NWO run in and beatdown. The Wall gets off the stretcher backstage. But again nothing really comes of this.

Goldberg attacking The Outsiders in their locker room, Nash in particular in the shower at the time, is shot as if its a high school media project. It's terrible.

Benoit vs Bret goes for about 5 minutes before Jarrett runs in and saves the title for Bret, setting up a match between him and Benoit that never occurs.

Goldberg runs in and destroys Jarrett and chases off Bret, before nearly ripping his arm off on a limo and putting him out for 6 months.

What a fucking shitshow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I really should start a Thunder watch through, but I love myself too much for that, maybe.

Aw hell, I'll do it anyway.

The second ep ever is really good - has a couple of decent Eddy/Jericho and Juvi/Rey matches that are good viewing. 2 years later unwatchable.

• Like 1

Thoughts on Starrcade 98

WCW had a lot of nerve coming back to Washington DC for Starrcade after the previous year's debacle. Like the Tupelo fans for Uncensored, this crowd was very forgiving. When Eric Bischoff beat Ric Flair and the referee held up his hand that had brass knuckles on it, they weren't even outraged.

The fans also didn't mind Kevin Nash beating Goldberg for the WCW title to end the streak, even though Scott Hall made it happen with the Taser attack. They didn't know Nash was going to hand the belt to Hogan eight days later and make the entire company irrelevant.

Billy Kidman is the MVP for beating Rey Misterio Jr. and Juventud Guerrera to retain the Cruiserweight title, and then immediately beating Eddy Guerrero to retain the belt again.

Konnan rode his wave of Wolfpac popularity to a TV title victory over Chris Jericho. It seemed to be a bigger deal than when he was US champion two years earlier.

Scott Hall came out and talked, and then The Cat talked, and then The Cat talked some more ...

Worst fan sign: "SHUT UP AND WRESLE"

DDP finished his great year by defeating The Giant after Bret Hart's interference backfired. Giant would be off to the WWF shortly.

For the biggest show of the year, it sure seemed like a WCW Saturday Night taping at times, with Norman Smiley vs. Prince Iaukea, Saturn vs. The Cat, and Scott Norton & Brian Adams vs. Fit Finlay & Jerry Flynn. After the nWo black-and-white's entrance, Flynn came out acting like a heel. Read the room, Jerry.

Edited by Gorman

2 hours ago, Gorman said:

Thoughts on Starrcade 98

WCW had a lot of nerve coming back to Washington DC for Starrcade after the previous year's debacle. Like the Tupelo fans for Uncensored, this crowd was very forgiving. When Eric Bischoff beat Ric Flair and the referee held up his hand that had brass knuckles on it, they weren't even outraged.

The fans also didn't mind Kevin Nash beating Goldberg for the WCW title to end the streak, even though Scott Hall made it happen with the Taser attack. They didn't know Nash was going to hand the belt to Hogan eight days later and make the entire company irrelevant.

Billy Kidman is the MVP for beating Rey Misterio Jr. and Juventud Guerrera to retain the Cruiserweight title, and then immediately beating Eddy Guerrero to retain the belt again.

Konnan rode his wave of Wolfpac popularity to a TV title victory over Chris Benoit. It seemed to be a bigger deal than when he was US champion two years earlier.

Scott Hall came out and talked, and then The Cat talked, and then The Cat talked some more ...

Worst fan sign: "SHUT UP AND WRESLE"

DDP finished his great year by defeating The Giant after Bret Hart's interference backfired. Giant would be off to the WWF shortly.

For the biggest show of the year, it sure seemed like a WCW Saturday Night taping at times, with Norman Smiley vs. Prince Iaukea, Saturn vs. The Cat, and Scott Norton & Brian Adams vs. Fit Finlay & Jerry Flynn. After the nWo black-and-white's entrance, Flynn came out acting like a heel. Read the room, Jerry.

I don't know how it played on tv but I was there and I can tell you that wasn't the case to many in the live crowd. People in my section and around me were PISSED when Bischoff won. 

Oh and Konnan beat Jericho, not Benoit. My buddy and I were pretty much convinced that Jericho was gonna go to the WWF after this match. He was basically spinning his wheels at this point and we sorta knew about the backstage stuff from what we read on the internet. We were speculating that he'd be in the Rumble or something like that as a surprise.

The DDP/Giant match wasn't all that great live but the finish popped the place huge. It was a pretty cool visual to see DDP hitting that Diamond Cutter on someone the size of Paul Wight.

Nash got a really big reaction when he came out and the place went nuts when he won. It was pretty evenly split at the beginning and throughout the match but the place exploded when nash won.

And yeah, my friend and I were like, "this feels like the first hour of Nitro or something" while we were watching all of the undercard matches.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 3

Thoughts on Souled Out 99

The Year of Nonsense begins with WCW President Ric Flair declaring that WCW is back in control after the nWo's 2 1/2-year reign of terror. nWo was even crossed out of the Souled Out logo! Of course, by the end of the night, the nWo had handcuffed Flair and forced him to watch a 10-on-1 beatdown of his teenage son.  They crossed WCW out of the Souled Out logo and spray-painted nWo. Well, this was originally their pay-per-view.

Chris Benoit beat Mike Enos, who just had a blank look on his face. Didn't he have any leftover charisma from the Beverly Brothers?

Norman Smiley had enough charisma for everyone. He came out with the sawdust remains of Pepe the stick horse in an urn, which meant that Chavo Guerrero Jr. had to act like he was angry. Norman won after completing the TRIFECTA of DISRESPECTA:

• Put Chavo in the Gori Special, his grandfather's move
  • Do the Big Wiggle dance while spanking Chavo
  • Throw the remains of Pepe in Chavo's face

Fit Finlay beat Van Hammer, who was doing a "peace out, man" gimmick for some reason. These first three matches made me want to see a round-robin tournament with Benoit, Smiley, and Finlay.

Lex Luger liked being in the nWo Wolfpac, but he really enjoyed being in the super-elite nWo heel group, and he gloated about it to Konnan, who had been kicked out. Arrogant Luger is always the best Luger.

We didn't need another heel referee, as Scott Dickinson was Saturn's personal Nick Patrick, who caused him to lose to Chris Jericho and put on a dress. As usual, the "wear a dress" gimmick wasn't a one-night thing.

Kidman hung onto the Cruiserweight title in a high-flying four-way over Rey, Juvi, and Psicosis. This was the best match on the show.

BILL GOLDBERG was busted WIDE open but managed to win the ladder/taser match over Scott Hall. Gaining revenge over the loss of his title and streak makes Goldberg the MVP. In a perfect world, Goldberg would have gone through Luger and Nash before winning the title back from Hogan in a match that could have made money this time on pay-per-view. However, Goldberg was instead attacked by Bam Bam Bigelow. Hall tasered both guys as the show went off the air.

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 1

Thoughts on SuperBrawl IX 

When Disco Inferno dances out as the newest member of the nWo Wolfpac, does that mean the group is no longer "cool?" Let's ask the fans:

"DISCO SUCKS! DISCO SUCKS!"

Perry Saturn didn't want to stop wearing a dress. He hit Chris Jericho with the Death Valley Driver in the middle of the ring, and referee Scott Dickinson wasn't biased against him. All Saturn had to do was get the pin. But he gave Dickinson the DVD and got disqualified. He could have attacked Dickinson after the match, but he wanted to keep wearing a dress.

It was strange to hear the nWo music for Curt Hennig & Barry Windham's entrance. Of course, they would make their own music later in the year. I forgot that they were tag team champions. Since it was a rare double-elimination tournament, Benoit and Malenko needed two wins, but they only got one. 

It's SuperBrawl, so that means someone has to lose his mask. This time, it was Rey Misterio's turn. Scott Hall is the MVP, subbing for Lex Luger to team with Nash in the win over Rey and Konnan.  Later in the night, Hall beat Roddy Piper for the US title. Hall said 1999 would be a better year for him, and he was right.

If the Outsiders had lost, Elizabeth would have had her head shaved. We all knew that wasn't going to happen.

The DDP-Scott Steiner match was more about Kimberly than Steiner's TV title, but she wasn't there. Charles Robinson caught Buff Bagwell cutting off the turnbuckle pad, so he ejected Buff from ringside. But Robinson allowed Steiner to ram DDP's back into the exposed buckle and win the match with the Steiner Recliner.

Give Bam Bam Bigelow credit. He attacked BILL GOLDBERG over and over until he got a singles match with him on PPV. Bigelow hit the top-rope headbutt; however, it wasn't enough. Spear, spear, jackhammer, pin. This should have been the main event for the World title. But instead, we got ...

Hogan and Flair for the World title. Not only did WCW first present Hogan-Flair on PPV in the summer of 1994, but these same fans in Oakland saw one of the first Hogan-Flair matches at a house show for the WWF title in the fall of 1991.

David Flair turned against his own dad to help Hogan retain the title.  What a swerve! But before you say, "but Vince Russo didn't show up until later in the year, bro," realize that this swerve actually made sense. When Tony Schiavone asked why David would do this, Mike Tenay directed his attention to the blonde woman in the red dress, Torrie Wilson. Even if David weren't Ric Flair's kid, it was a tale as old as time.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 1:50 PM, Gorman said:

Thoughts on Souled Out 99

Chris Benoit beat Mike Enos

Norman won after completing the TRIFECTA of DISRESPECTA

Fit Finlay beat Van Hammer

These first three matches made me want to see a round-robin tournament with Benoit, Smiley, and Finlay.

the best we can offer is a round robin of Enos, Chavo, and Van Hammer.

also, props for "Trifecta of Disrespecta". i LOL'd

• Like 1

I popped on Rumble 1996 the other night. Not sure why.

Vader's shots on Savio Vega are as stiff as anything you see in a WWF ring. Look completely night and day to what else is going on in the ring. 

Backlund/Dory was pretty cool to watch.  The Vader eliminating everyone spot not counting because he'd already been eliminated thing was stupid. 

Thoughts on Uncensored 99

Mikey Whipwreck seemed like a weird fit for WCW, but he looked great in his Cruiserweight title shot. Kidman continued his long title reign, which was welcome after how much the title bounced around in 1998.

HARLEM STREET FIGHT - Hogan set up this match by separately telling Stevie Ray and Vincent that they are the leader of the nWo black-and-white. Horace came to the ring, threw in the slapjack weapon and said, "I don't care who uses it; I'm the real leader." Apathy and indecision: two of the true hallmarks of leadership.

Rey Misterio Jr. was on his way to a Juventud-like post-mask career rejuvenation, as he went on a GIANT KILLER run of victories over larger opponents. Kevin Nash brought the fun to a screeching halt, as usual.

HANDICAP MARTIAL ARTS MATCH - Jerry Flynn was supposedly seeking revenge for Ernest Miller and Sonny Ono cutting off his ponytail. Instead, Flynn came to the ring with a bored look on his face. If Jerry doesn't care about his match, why should I?

THREE-WAY RAVEN'S RULES MATCH - Chastity was on her way to a surprise MVP performance. She brought a laundry cart full of weapons, blasted Bam Bam Bigelow off the top rope with a fire extinguisher, and gave her brother Raven duct tape so he could bind Sandman's hands behind his back and recreate the Rock-Mankind I quit match from six weeks earlier. But then Chastity turned the fire extinguisher on Raven and headbutted him in their family jewels. I'm sure Hak and Chastity had a pre-match strategy session that included "Let Raven turn your brains to oatmeal."

LUMBERJACKS WITH STRAPS MATCH - Arn Anderson is the MVP, and this was Part 1 of his masterful performance. Benoit & Malenko vs. Hennig & Windham was an underrated great match with outstanding wrestling in the ring and crazy brawling and strapping outside the ring. When Hennig hit Anderson with a strap, Arn said, "I'll see your strap and raise you a tire iron." Benoit & Malenko won the belts, and Anderson wasn't even finished restoring the Four Horsemen to their former glory.

DOG COLLAR MATCH - Perry Saturn intimidated Chris Jericho with his bizarre outfit and green contact lenses so much that Jericho tried to make Ralphus wear the dog collar and wrestle the match. Saturn's victory, like his win over Raven, should have moved him up the card.

Booker T overcame a ton of interference by Buff Bagwell to beat Scott Steiner for the TV title. Booker became a six-time TV champion to go with his seven tag team titles with Harlem Heat. Booker's WCW resume would eventually get even more impressive.

STEEL CAGE BARBED WIRE FIRST BLOOD MATCH - Life rarely gives you a second bite at the apple. Ric Flair realized that he was in the same position as he was at Halloween Havoc 94, putting his career on the line against Hogan's World title in a cage match. His WCW presidency was at stake, too. How could things work out better for Flair this time?

Well, he arranged for the cage to have no door and barbed wire around the top to prevent interference. He also installed his superfan, Charles Robinson, as referee and instructed him not to stop the match for a little bit of blood. Flair bled buckets as usual, and Robinson wouldn't stop the match. He wouldn't count pins for Hollywood, either. There was no way for Hogan to win. Brilliant!

Still, the match had to end somehow, so Arn Anderson rode to the rescue again. He bashed David Flair with the tire iron, neutralized Torrie Wilson, and gave Flair a foreign object to use so Robinson could count the winning pin ... Yes, pin, in a first blood match. Instead of WCW forgetting the rules to the main event of Uncensored again, Flair's triumph over Hogan for World title No. 14 was no accident.

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 9:45 PM, Gorman said:

Perry Saturn didn't want to stop wearing a dress. He hit Chris Jericho with the Death Valley Driver in the middle of the ring, and referee Scott Dickinson wasn't biased against him. All Saturn had to do was get the pin. But he gave Dickinson the DVD and got disqualified. He could have attacked Dickinson after the match, but he wanted to keep wearing a dress.

Was there a stipulation that the winner couldn't wear a dress?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Late stage WCW combined Nitro and Thunder under one set of tapings later on, so the really dead crowds for the final years of Thunder are going to bother any new viewers who will watch that era. I knew people who left during those Thunder tapings that started after Nitro.

Even Jeff Jarrett criticized those tapings.

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/jeff-jarrett-thinks-wcw-taping-thunder-was-another-nail-in-the-coffin-talks-booker-t/

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1

Thoughts on Spring Stampede 99

Blitzkrieg looked promising in his PPV debut, and he was trying to heel it up along with his high-flying moves. It took a SUPER Juvi Driver to put him away.

Sandman in WCW just seemed weird. I guess if you're going to destroy your body, it's better to earn a WCW salary than an ECW salary. Just like the first match, Bigelow needed a SUPER Greetings from Asbury Park through a table to win.

Scotty Riggs came out doing a mashup of Rick Rude's gimmick and Lex Luger's "Narcissist" gimmick before hitting a Tito Santana flying forearm to put Mikey Whipwreck away. 

Konnan responded to Disco Inferno imitating his rap song ("Oil of Olay All day, every day") by imitating Disco's Chartbuster (stunner) finisher to win their match.

Rey Misterio Jr. was doing great without the mask as the champ-champ (Cruiser and Tag) and he beat his partner Kidman in a superb high-flying match.

Saturn didn't have anything else to do in WCW but team up with Raven again. They lost to Benoit & Malenko, as Arn Anderson continued to excel at outside interference. 

Scott Steiner didn't have help from Buff Bagwell in his rematch with Booker T, but he used a foreign object instead to win the US title tournament. Booker still had the TV title.

BILL GOLDBERG fended off Lex Luger's interference to avenge his only loss to Kevin Nash in less than eight minutes. 

Diamond Dallas Page was managing the Freebirds back in 1991, but he finally won the World title title here at age 43. He won a four-way over Hogan, Sting and Flair. He hit the Diamond Cutter on Flair to win the title. For working relentlessly through age and injuries, DDP is the MVP.

Best fan sign: "THANX FOR TAPING THIS DAD"

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 2

Thoughts on Slamboree 99

The opening three-way tag was the best match of the night, with Raven & Saturn beating Rey Jr. & Kidman and Benoit & Malenko to win the belts. Arn Anderson did another masterful job of interference, but Kanyon's involvement led to the title win. Kanyon was wearing a Sting mask and a DDP shirt ... because Kanyon.

Rey Jr. didn't wallow in his defeat, as he came right back to help Konnan counter the nWo black-and-white and beat Stevie Ray. Like Lex Luger before him, Konnan kept beating the nWo but kept sliding down the card.

Bam Bam Bigelow and Brian Knobs hit each other with a bunch of stuff, and then Bigelow won with a suplex through a fake merchandise table.

Scott Steiner is the MVP. First, he helped his brother Rick win the TV title from Booker T. Rick acted mad, but he returned the favor and helped Scott retain the US title with a win over Buff Bagwell. I had to wait for the Scott-Buff match to get started to make sure they weren't secretly in cahoots. Scott showed Buff no respect, jawing with the fans throughout the match and barely paying attention to the guy he was wrestling. But at least someone was paying attention ... 

Best pair of fan signs: "MY GIRLFRIEND WOULD LEAVE ME FOR BUFF'S STUFF" "YES, I WOULD!"

But the Steiners weren't even done. They attacked Sting and Goldberg after the co-main event. The Steiners as singles heel champions while going after the top heroes in the company? I like it!

The Sting-Goldberg match was ruined by Bret Hart attacking both men. He had quit "the WCW" one month earlier when he realized the company hadn't done anything with him for a year and a half.

If you're Randy Savage, and you see Elizabeth coming to the ring with Lex Luger, what do you do? Bring THREE women to the ring with you! I'm sure Liz was flattered.

Savage and Flair couldn't stop feuding, so they had a "my girlfriend vs. your mini-doppelganger" match. Savage's girlfriend was named Gorgeous George, as if we couldn't tell that she was gorgeous so they had to give her a boy's name to hammer the point home. Madusa was also with Savage, along with Molly Holly. She was called "Miss Madness '99" as if she had won an annual Savage-themed beauty pageant.

Speaking of Charles Robinson, Flair installed him as referee for his match with Piper for the WCW presidency. Like the Hogan match at Uncensored, Flair figured he couldn't lose. Even when Flair told Little Naitch "Yes, I give up," Robinson wouldn't stop the match. Flair got the win, but Eric Bischoff suddenly reappeared as a babyface and overturned the decision.

Hey, Kevin Nash won the WCW World title from DDP! Ah, who cares? Last time, he gave the belt away like a jelly doughnut.

Edited by Gorman

Thoughts on Great American Bash 99

Brian Knobs tried the whole hardcore thing again, facing Sandman in a kendo stick match. He lost again.

I thought Wrath was coming out to face Mikey Whipwreck, but no, it was Van Hammer! He had dropped his peace-loving gimmick in favor of no gimmick.

Is there a more WCW match than Buff Bagwell vs. Disco Inferno? Buff won with the Blockbuster, as WCW was trying him out as a babyface.

The first round of "Rap vs. Country" went in favor of rap.  Barry Windham tried to help Hennig & Duncum, but SWOLL jumped out from Master P's posse and helped Konnan & Rey Jr. pick up the win.

Scott Norton no-showed, so Horace showed up and cut a lousy promo. The good news is that Ernest Miller countered with his classic "I'm gonna put my gi on and whoop everybody" promo. Miller beat Horace with his James Brown slipper, then put on his James Brown robe and did the James Brown dance to his James Brown music.

Ric Flair and Roddy Piper were fighting over the office of WCW President, even though Piper was already WCW Commissioner. What was the difference? Bagwell tried to help Piper but caused a disqualification. Flair and Piper finally found some common ground: beating up Buff.

Rick Steiner and Sting had a great match with a terrible finish. In a falls-count-anywhere match where "there must be a winner," Sting was attacked by Tank Abbott and three dogs that were sic'd on him by Scott Steiner. Since this was too violent to air on a WCW PPV, we had to take the ref's word that Sting got pinned off-camera. Scott Steiner echoed the crowd's sentiments when he said, "WCW SUCKS!"

Savage challenged Nash for the WCW title. Earlier in the week, I was at the Cleveland Nitro and witnessed the "white hummer" incident. No, I didn't see who was driving.

The match ended in a DQ when SID showed up and attacked Nash. I wasn't even disappointed, because if anyone can save WCW from sucking, it's Sid: the MVP, the master and the ruler of the world.

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 6:14 PM, tbarrie said:

Was there a stipulation that the winner couldn't wear a dress?

Nah, he lost a "Loser Wears a Dress" match to Jericho. At this point, Jericho had made up his mind to go to the WWF and Bischoff knew so he (Jericho) figured he'd be the one to lose and wear the dress. But Saturn wanted to change up his look so they booked it to where Saturn lost the match and liked the look so kept it.

• Like 1

Thoughts on Bash at the Beach 99

Ernest Miller and Disco Inferno were supposed to wrestle in a "loser can't dance again" match before someone realized that was a bad idea. In fact, they had a dance contest before the match, which The Cat won with the magic slipper kick. Wait -- shouldn't a three-time karate champion be able to win with a non-loaded kick?

Van Hammer went from promoting peace to being against peace (according to his wrestling gear) in just two months. His opponent, TV champion Rick Steiner, had a more consistent message: "If you don't like me, bite me."

Dean Malenko vs. US champion David Flair seemed like a mismatch, but when David was backed up by WCW President Ric Flair, Torrie Wilson, Arn Anderson, Asya, and most importantly, referee Charles Robinson, it became a mismatch the other way.

Round 2 of Rap vs. Country also went in favor of rap, with Rey Jr. and Swoll hitting a double-team move to emerge as the survivors. Swoll seemed like he had some promise, but he disappeared after this feud ended. 

The junkyard match was really dangerous, with cars getting tipped over and stuff getting set on fire. Fit Finlay avoided getting compressed in a car crusher and wisely escaped the junkyard for the win. I felt bad for the guys who were clobbering each other all over the junkyard, but it was too dark to see whoever was on camera at the time.

The Jersey Triad didn't get to just pick two members, they got to use all three members in the same match against Benoit and Saturn. One guy had to be on the floor, but it still wasn't fair. Kanyon threw powder in the eyes of Saturn AND Page, who gave Kanyon the Diamond Cutter and hit him with a metal box. Despite the Three Stooges routine. the Jersey Boys managed to retain the belts.

Mills Lane showed up to officiate the Piper-Bagwell boxing match, and he somehow managed to dress up as a judge and a referee. How did he become famous? Bagwell said, "Piper, I know you have 14-time World champion Ric Flair in your corner, so I will counter with ... my mom."

Amazingly enough, this tactic worked, as Judy Bagwell used the Mike Tyson ear bite and the Bucket Head gag on Piper. Bagwell hit the Buff Blockbuster to score the pin ... in a boxing match. Mills Lane should have been punished for this atrocious officiating by losing his jobs as a boxing referee, a TV judge, and the Claymation official on MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch. 

Bagwell was still acting like a jerk, but the fans were supposed to cheer him. The ladies came out with their pro-Buff signs, and one guy came up with this gem:

"BUFF-Y THE VAM-PIPER SLAYER"

(Well done!)

Speaking of matches with stupid rules, Kevin Nash defended the WCW title in a tag team match against Savage, Sid, and his own partner Sting. Gorgeous George defected from Savage's corner to Nash's, just like Pam Anderson at WrestleMania XI. But it was a swerve, bro! (You mean Vince Russo still hasn't arrived?) This led to Savage pinning Nash to win the title. 

For creating his own Macho-verse in which he has THREE women by his side and puts one of them on his shoulders like Miss Elizabeth and he doesn't have Hogan stealing the spotlight and winning the belt one day later, Randy Savage is your MVP.

Oh no! Hogan actually did win the title one day later again! I wish I hadn't checked. Anyway, Savage is still the MVP - Hogan can't take that away.

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gorman said:

Anyway, Savage is still the MVP - Hogan can't take that away.

Hogan: JUST WATCH ME, BROTHER!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2022 at 11:21 AM, cwoy2j said:

Nah, he lost a "Loser Wears a Dress" match to Jericho. At this point, Jericho had made up his mind to go to the WWF and Bischoff knew so he (Jericho) figured he'd be the one to lose and wear the dress. But Saturn wanted to change up his look so they booked it to where Saturn lost the match and liked the look so kept it.

Apparently it was supposed to be Jericho having to leave WCW but Terry Taylor who was agenting didn't know this so they got the finish changed

Watching the 94 Summerslam Spectacular.

Good card - has a nice Bam Bam/IRS vs. Kid/Holly tag match, Bull Nakano vs Heidi Morgan was good too. 

There's a live Q&A call in for Lawler. A caller speculates about whether the fake Undertaker is his former tag team partner from the "Twin Towers". Not sure whether they meant the Skyscrapers or the Akeem/Bossman team. A very young and familiar sounding Stephanie calls in also. 

14 hours ago, Gorman said:

Thoughts on Bash at the Beach 99

Ernest Miller and Disco Inferno were supposed to wrestle in a "loser can't dance again" match before someone realized that was a bad idea. In fact, they had a dance contest before the match, which The Cat won with the magic slipper kick. Wait -- shouldn't a three-time karate champion be able to win with a non-loaded kick?

Van Hammer went from promoting peace to being against peace (according to his wrestling gear) in just two months. His opponent, TV champion Rick Steiner, had a more consistent message: "If you don't like me, bite me."

Dean Malenko vs. US champion David Flair seemed like a mismatch, but when David was backed up by WCW President Ric Flair, Torrie Wilson, Arn Anderson, Asya, and most importantly, referee Charles Robinson, it became a mismatch the other way.

Round 2 of Rap vs. Country also went in favor of rap, with Rey Jr. and Swoll hitting a double-team move to emerge as the survivors. Swoll seemed like he had some promise, but he disappeared after this feud ended. 

The junkyard match was really dangerous, with cars getting tipped over and stuff getting set on fire. Fit Finlay avoided getting compressed in a car crusher and wisely escaped the junkyard for the win. I felt bad for the guys who were clobbering each other all over the junkyard, but it was too dark to see whoever was on camera at the time.

The Jersey Triad didn't get to just pick two members, they got to use all three members in the same match against Benoit and Saturn. One guy had to be on the floor, but it still wasn't fair. Kanyon threw powder in the eyes of Saturn AND Page, who gave Kanyon the Diamond Cutter and hit him with a metal box. Despite the Three Stooges routine. the Jersey Boys managed to retain the belts.

Mills Lane showed up to officiate the Piper-Bagwell boxing match, and he somehow managed to dress up as a judge and a referee. How did he become famous? Bagwell said, "Piper, I know you have 14-time World champion Ric Flair in your corner, so I will counter with ... my mom."

Amazingly enough, this tactic worked, as Judy Bagwell used the Mike Tyson ear bite and the Bucket Head gag on Piper. Bagwell hit the Buff Blockbuster to score the pin ... in a boxing match. Mills Lane should have been punished for this atrocious officiating by losing his jobs as a boxing referee, a TV judge, and the Claymation official on MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch. 

Bagwell was still acting like a jerk, but the fans were supposed to cheer him. The ladies came out with their pro-Buff signs, and one guy came up with this gem:

"BUFF-Y THE VAM-PIPER SLAYER"

(Well done!)

Speaking of matches with stupid rules, Kevin Nash defended the WCW title in a tag team match against Savage, Sid, and his own partner Sting. Gorgeous George defected from Savage's corner to Nash's, just like Pam Anderson at WrestleMania XI. But it was a swerve, bro! (You mean Vince Russo still hasn't arrived?) This led to Savage pinning Nash to win the title. 

For creating his own Macho-verse in which he has THREE women by his side and puts one of them on his shoulders like Miss Elizabeth and he doesn't have Hogan stealing the spotlight and winning the belt one day later, Randy Savage is your MVP.

Oh no! Hogan actually did win the title one day later again! I wish I hadn't checked. Anyway, Savage is still the MVP - Hogan can't take that away.

The other day I was vaguely remembering that WCW, in their later 90s desperation phase to copy/counter the Attitude era, had a Chyna ripoff. Guess that wasn't a stress-induced delusion.

Weren't 3 or 4 people legit injured in that junkyard brawl?

• Like 1