DVDVR Message Board

2013 NCAAF Week 8

Dolfan in NYC

USC comes to South Bend for another ND home night game in which I will be tailgating far, far, far too long and will probably be numb to whatever the end result of the game will actually be.

That reminds me, I need to get started on creating some kind of game based around Coach Kelly's reactions and the dreaded Coach Kelly Face.

Grambling football players are revolting. Also boycotting road trip to Jackson State.

The great program of Eddie Robinson has spiraled into hell. With no money, the athletic department has horrible facilities and the team's already had to take the BUS from Louisiana to KC and Indy (9 and 12 hours each way for those of you playing along at home). 

Near the start of the season, the Grambling Legends, a group unaffiliated with the school, funded much-needed replacement flooring for the weight room. Doug Williams, then the Tigers coach, a popular alumnus, former Super Bowl MVP and member of the Grambling Legends, helped arrange the purchase of the new rubber flooring, just as he had done earlier with new flooring for the team's locker room. Williams had a history of ruffling administrative feathers -- in April 2012 he sued the school for a performance bonuses he says he was owed -- and he often circumvented the school's chain of command. The funds to pay for the new weight room floor were yet another instance of that, as the money had not been filtered through the school's foundation, as (Grambling president Dr. Frank) Pogue and athletic director Aaron James demanded.

In response, Pogue and James ordered the flooring to be stored in a another building near the team's practice field. Then, a week after the large rolls of flooring were mothballed, Williams was fired as Grambling's coach. 

The players, unaware of the politics, knew only that one minute they were getting the badly needed new floor and then they weren't. They knew only that Williams, who led the team to a SWAC title as recently as 2011, was their coach and then suddenly he was not.

Their revolt earlier this week was reported to be a protest of long bus trips, a lack of food on the road, and a general decline in the support of the program, and that is true. But as SI learned while at Grambling as the events of the past week unfolded, the players' actions were also driven by the need for answers they have long sought: Why can't they get a new floor in the weight room and other things they feel they need to win games? Why did Williams get fired? And, the overarching question: What has happened to Grambling football?

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131018/grambling-football/#ixzz2i6qz9wE1

Two fun nights in a row of College Football. I thought UCF was out from the beginning and almost stopped watching when they were down 14 but I'm glad I stuck in. Also love the UCF win with people on reddit openly mocking UCF before the game.

I still think LV could get to a bowl and still think they can win the conference. UCF is probably good for another loss or two and LV may be able to not lose again. Realistically though, they were going to be stuck past the Top 5 no matter what.

Looking forward to what other surprises we get tomorrow.

Look at the money line from the Washington State/Oregon game. Yowza.WSU: 20000ORE: -60000

I always love shit like this. If you had any sort of comprehensive bankroll (which I clearly do not), just throw five bucks down on Wazzu and see if something crazy happens.

(Final Score: Ducks 70, Cougars 3)