DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAPING SPOILERS - 8/21 - 9/11/19

hammerva

Spoiler

While I have no real hope that it will turn out well, I definitely approve of Shayna's next opponent for the NXT women's title 

Also like seeing that they did Breezango vs the team formerly known as 3.0 on the Indies.  Well I figure it would be a squash in NXT, in Chikara that match would have been fun as hell.

Here are the taping results for the next month

Spoiler

– The Undisputed Era starts the show by complaining about how the North American and Tag Team Championship matches at TakeOver: Toronto turned out. Jordan Myles interrupts and announces that he’s cashing in the title shot he won for winning the NXT Breakout Tournament later in the night.

1. Damian Priest defeated Mansoor. Priest won with his version of Cross Rhodes.

2. Mia Yim defeated Vanessa Borne. Yim won with a Codebreaker version of Eat Defeat. After the match, Shayna Baszler offers Mia a spot in the Horsewomen. Mia attacks instead of joining them, and gets beaten down.

– A Keith Lee/Dominic Dijakovic video package aired including footage from EVOLVE.

3. Killian Dain defeated Matt Riddle. Dain won a competitive match after three Vader Bombs. After the match the brawl continued, with Dain hitting a senton onto a ladder laid across Riddle on the floor.

4. Io Shirai defeated Cami Fields. Squash win for Io. After the match, she tries to attack Fields with a kendo stick until Candice LeRae makes the save.

5. Dominik Dijakovic defeated Keith Lee. Said to be a great match. Lee hit a Spanish Fly at one point, but Dijakovic ultimately won with Feast Your Eyes.

– A Shayna Baszler was interrupted by Rhea Ripley. Ripley says Shayna’s beaten everyone but hasn’t beaten her, and they have a staredown.

6. Breezango defeated Chase Parker and Matt Martel, the new names for Team 3.0.

7. Bianca Belair defeated Taynara Conti. Belair won with the KOD.

8. NXT Championship Match: Adam Cole (c) defeated Jordan Myles. Cole retained after a pair of superkicks and the Last Shot.

9. Damian Priest defeated Boa.

– Johnny Gargano cut a promo, but was interrupted by Shane Thorne. Thorne told Gargano to take a bow and leave. Gargano took a bow, but announced that he’s not leaving, and kicked Thorne. Looks like Gargano’s staying in NXT for the time being.

10. Velveteen Dream defeats Kona Reeves. After the match, Roderick Strong set Dream’s couch on fire to get his attention.

11. Pete Dunne defeated Angel Garza. Dunne won by submission with an armbar while snapping Garza’s fingers.

12. Cameron Grimes defeated Raul Mendoza with a double stomp.

13. Shayna Baszler defeated Rhea Ripley by disqualification in a non-title match. Baszler grabbed a chair while Ripley fought off the Horsewomen, but Ripley took the chair and used it herself, drawing a DQ. Ripley then sat in the chair and challenged Baszler again.

14. NXT Tag Team Championship Match: Undisputed Era defeated the Street Profits (c). Montez Ford missed a frog splash, and UE were able to hit the High-Low on him to win the match. Fish and O’Reilly are your new NXT Tag Team Champions. Street Profits got a “thank you” send off from Full Sail after the match.

Remember, there's no rhyme or reason as to when anything above gets aired.   But I'm guessing that final match won't get aired until the final week. 

Spoiler

Rhea is a good choice to go against Shayna though it is weird to see her basically re-debuting as a face, especially before the feud with Piper in NXT UK is done. I hope she takes the belt off of Shayna before the next Takeover though that feels doubtful.

The venue was entirely sold out. Barely any seating room left. Biggest crowd I've seen in Full Sail in a while. Attendances have increased since Cole's been champ -- so bigger crowd for the past 2 tapings.

For what it's worth, the ladder spot between Dain and Riddle was done outside Full Sail.

Mansoor and Boa made Priest look like a million bucks.

Io looked fantastic again against a much bigger opponent.

Dijakovic/Lee was exactly what you'd expect from them. It was their indy match in an NXT ring. They are each others best opponents by far.

Rhea got a superstar reaction and her promo was about 3 lines and she ended it by calling Shayna a bitch which got a massive reaction. I wasn't sold on Rhea being a superstar before, but tonight she made me change her opinion on her. From all these NXT rocker chicks, before tonight I would've said Toni Storm was the standout, but it's clear Rhea is a step above her.

Bianca is a face now.

I like Myles better in NXT than on the indys. He fits in perfectly. The match wasn't particularly great, but Myles came out of it looking like a superstar.

Gargano's staying in NXT. He said he's been given the option to choose, but he preferred staying in NXT. His next feud is with Shane Thorne. Speaking of Thorne, he had his best singles performance in NXT against Bronson Reed. Nifty little match between them.

Roddy burning the couch was fantastic.

Garza again proved he's going to be a superstar. I like Dunne, but that triangle choke into the finger snap is a weak finish.

Grimes still rules.

Tag title match was underwhelming as the crowd was burned out by then. The Street Profits are clearly moving onto the main roster.

Undisputed Era, Johnny Gargano, The Four Horsewomen and The Velveteen Dream all need to go to the main roster. If only because NXT is dull as fuck and needs to be refreshed. But that's just going to create another problem where in a handful of months/a year later, it'll be the same people at the top and we'll get sick of them.

Think about it. They have so many people waiting to be on TV they had to run an 8 man tournament just to get them on the show. Who's been on the shows since? 3 people from that tournament, including the winner? Rotating people in and out of the weekly TV is all well and good, but people get lost in the shuffle BAD when you have this much talent on a brand that only has a one hour show and big events every few months.

Shayna having a stranglehold on the division is another problem that's been discussed at length here, and I love Rhea Ripley, but I don't think the answer is to bring someone over from NXT UK to feud with her. The women's division in NXT has the same problem as the other divisions - too much talent. When was the last time Deonna Purrazzo was on television? Does anyone even remember she's signed? Chelsea Green? I know she's injured, but Rachael Evers? Tegan Nox and (I believe) Dakota Kai are healthy again. Santana Garrett was just signed, but who knows how long she'll toll away in the live NXT events before she even gets anything meaningful on TV.

The North American title scene is the exact same as the women's title scene. Do we need Pete Dunne and Mustache Mountain being moved to the main brand when there's already too many people on the roster and waiting in the wings at the PC?

NXT as a whole, right now, is really frustrating. A lot of people are dreading the 2 hour show on FS1 or whatever, but NXT really needs it if they're dead set on hoarding talent like this and keeping them at the Performance Center/Florida loops or the two NXT brands.

• Thanks 1

Just now, For Great Justice said:

I didn’t realize Roddy was a West Virginia fan

Thought it was more of a Kentucky thing?

Also, if I'm wrestling Dunne or Marty Scrull, I'm taping my damn fingers together.  I hate those finger spots.  They look cool and hurty and all, but when you do them every match, it gets old.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Undisputed Era, Johnny Gargano, The Four Horsewomen and The Velveteen Dream all need to go to the main roster.

Unfortunately, I think all the stale acts clogging up the top of the card are going to be hanging around for a while to come. They need that star power to combat AEW head-to-head.

It's been said that the plan is to cycle main roster guys back down to NXT when it moves to FS1 for the added star power. 

I know telling long-term stories with the same few wrestlers isn't going to keep me watching - variety is as important in NXT as it is on the main roster, and in both cases they are falling far short. Even their only "big" post-Mania debut in KUSHIDA is already lost in the shuffle.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Undisputed Era, Johnny Gargano, The Four Horsewomen and The Velveteen Dream all need to go to the main roster. If only because NXT is dull as fuck and needs to be refreshed. But that's just going to create another problem where in a handful of months/a year later, it'll be the same people at the top and we'll get sick of them.

I like Velveteen Dream to stay in NXT, he's able to get more experience there. Velveteen Dream's the longest reigning NXT North American Champion and he can help to establish it. With you on the others.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Shayna having a stranglehold on the division is another problem that's been discussed at length here, and I love Rhea Ripley, but I don't think the answer is to bring someone over from NXT UK to feud with her. The women's division in NXT has the same problem as the other divisions - too much talent. When was the last time Deonna Purrazzo was on television? Does anyone even remember she's signed? Chelsea Green? I know she's injured, but Rachael Evers? Tegan Nox and (I believe) Dakota Kai are healthy again. Santana Garrett was just signed, but who knows how long she'll toll away in the live NXT events before she even gets anything meaningful on TV.

No idea what is up with Purrazzo. Evers is injured. Tegan just came back from injury. Not sure if Kai is cleared or not, but she hasn't made an actual return yet. Beyond that Rhea in the UK was always a temporary thing intended to build on Rhea's MYC run while also not interfering with Shayna's run last year. I'm not sure Rhea had even wrestled in the UK before being moved there last year.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

I like Velveteen Dream to stay in NXT, he's able to get more experience there. Velveteen Dream's the longest reigning NXT North American Champion and he can help to establish it. With you on the others.

Counterpoint: He's had enough reps that he's got the NXT formula down. Time to face the challenges of prime time. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Counterpoint: He's had enough reps that he's got the NXT formula down. Time to face the challenges of prime time. 

This.

I like Dream, but he needs to move on. As does everyone else already mentioned in this thread -- but I really want Cole and Gargano to move on, Cole more so than Gargano. I get why someone would like Cole (in the Undisputed ERA, as a singles dude, yeah, no idea), but the dude's matches are very uninteresting and his promos are pretty average at best.

Speaking of dudes who are uninteresting -- Damian Priest. Still don't get the hype. Sure he's been better since being repackaged, but he's still pretty average overall. I still think folks like him simply because he's a former ROH guy and that automatically makes any good.

11 hours ago, Log said:

Thought it was more of a Kentucky thing?

Also, if I'm wrestling Dunne or Marty Scrull, I'm taping my damn fingers together.  I hate those finger spots.  They look cool and hurty and all, but when you do them every match, it gets old.  

That finger spot is terrible, but this is even worse:

giphy.gif

Spoiler

giphy.gif

And for some reason he's been doing it constantly. That's Shane McMahon levels of bad.

Gargano going from feuding with Cole to feuding with Shane Thorne is a big step down. I guess it's to prepare for him feuding with Davari on 205.

I didn't go to the tapings but it looks like I didn't miss much. Way too much Shayna for my liking. Rhea/Shayna is at least a fresh match.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Dunne/Bate for the UK Championship at Takeover Chicago is one of the most overrated WWE matches in recent memory.

That would make for an interesting topic. Underrated and overrated matches. May the venting commence!

Edited by The Natural

Loved Dunne-Bate at the time, though I haven't watched it since it aired so I don't recall those terrible punches.

I also might have given the match too much credit due to me being way higher on NXT in general at the time - that was the show that Ciampa turned, so it was mostly all downhill from there.

That's not the only time Dunne has done (eh?) that punch exchange segment. He's done it at all the other TakeOver matches his been involved in.