DVDVR Message Board

NXT - AUGUST 2019

RIPPA

52 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This. Fucking. Sucks.

IF TRUE, if true...

It's going to be true, isn't it?

It's going to be and its not going to be for the better. I'm not arguing that NXT is perfect, but it's a breath of fresh air from a lot of main roster bullshit and I don't want Vince or Dunn to get their grubby mitts on it. Hell, I don't want it to be live or two hours. We don't need every god damn show to be 2 hours long.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

No. It's lasted longer than it's been fun. 

Disagree there.  Even in recent months I'd have to place it well above most promotions.   NXT New York (which I was at,  no bias there though..) was awesome..  

NXT Takeover this past week while many said it was one of the worst Takeovers,  it was STILL a very good show. 

If Vince and Dunn control NXT...  it's over.  More characters,  more projects,  less continuity,  nothing making sense..   on down the line. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If Vince and Dunn control NXT...  it's over.  More characters,  more projects,  more energy drinks, less continuity,  nothing making sense..   on down the line. 

I know who we're talking about here, but I doubt that's sustainable. He'd probably want some control for the launch, but unlikely he'd envisage running it full time.

Or it could go the other way and we start getting ROOKIECHALLENGES~!
Y'see, when I put it like that them bringing back WWECW doesn't seem so bad eh?

Just for the record - both Dave and PWI (which is where the original report started) aren't saying that it is definitely Vince and Dunn. In fact, neither ever bring up Dunn's name.

They are both working on the assumption that because it is a show directly against AEW that Vince is going to be more hands on because "Vince wants to win"

It is basically everyone acknowledging that no human being can do 7 hours of TV on three straight nights (and then whatever the fuck the football responsibilities will be when that gets rolling) but Vince is a lunatic and will try.

49 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is basically everyone acknowledging that no human being can do 7 hours of TV on three straight nights (and then whatever the fuck the football responsibilities will be when that gets rolling) but Vince is a lunatic and will try.

I have a boss that is in his 70’s who is so hell bent on still running the company that he’s drove his most responsible son crazy because he wanted to push the company in a modern direction. So now he’s planning on making his less responsible son 2nd in charge because he won’t get in his way of taking away whatever control he has of his business, and keep it the way it is. To even think the opposite of who will eventually be in charge of the main TV is ultimately futile. He’s going to be in control. Nothing in recent times has given evidence to being any difference. 

Heck a lot of the recent behind the scenes decisions on who is in charge of what has given more proof that Vince does not want Hunter under any control of his main TV while he’s still alive. Some people say that Paul is waiting, and he wants to focus on NXT. That’s crap, because if Vince says “You’re in charge of TV” he’ll do it in a heartbeat, even if he knows Vince will ride his ass. It’s an opportunity regardless that he can’t pass up. Vince didn’t ultimately end up going with him for this new TV venture. Even when Hunter, and Steph were making the media rounds. He went with Eric, and Heyman. 

In the end, Vince will always want subservient people that will be in his pocket, and doesn’t want to be challenged for the direction of his television.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I don't know,  it was said that Vince brought in Heyman and Bischoff (this ended up being a work?  That's what Alvarez said the other day) to help with creative because he was going to be busy with the XFL launch and Vince is still not only heading creative but rewriting Smackdown minutes before they go on the air, etc.   

If NXT moves from it's cozy little niche spot on the network to a USA/FS1 there's no doubt in my mind that the entire promotion will be "the 3rd brand".  

Vince taking over NXT just seems unlikely. It would leave HHH with too little to do, and the entire point of NXT as a brand in the first place was to prove to shareholders HHH could handle things fine whenever Vince eventually kills over.

Edited by Eivion

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If Vince and Dunn control NXT...  it's over.  More characters,  more projects,  less continuity,  nothing making sense..   on down the line. 

Honestly,  it's this reason where secretly, Vince and Dunn controlling NXT may have its benefits.

NXT is still a pretty good promotion and one of the best wrestling TV shows out there...but it was at its best during the Dusty Rhodes era specifically because it had more characters, more projects, etc. You still had some top indie names,but it was tempered with seeing these fun characters rise the ranks and become polished to the point they became awesome in their own rights.

By contrast, if NXT has a failing, it's that it's fallen to this "no characters, no projects- just good wrestlers wrestling good, throw a new shiny indie darling/TNA or ROH alumni out there every taping so the smarks are happy and we can coast to another Takeover." More characters and more projects is exactly what NXT needs right now- I'd rather see someone with a fun gimmick or someone who's a work in progress than see "Hey kids, we signed Austin Theory! Aren't you happy about that? Shiny EVOLVE guy!" and hear the crowd give negative shits about it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Honestly,  it's this reason where secretly, Vince and Dunn controlling NXT may have its benefits.

NXT is still a pretty good promotion and one of the best wrestling TV shows out there...but it was at its best during the Dusty Rhodes era specifically because it had more characters, more projects, etc. You still had some top indie names,but it was tempered with seeing these fun characters rise the ranks and become polished to the point they became awesome in their own rights.

By contrast, if NXT has a failing, it's that it's fallen to this "no characters, no projects- just good wrestlers wrestling good, throw a new shiny indie darling/TNA or ROH alumni out there every taping so the smarks are happy and we can coast to another Takeover." More characters and more projects is exactly what NXT needs right now- I'd rather see someone with a fun gimmick or someone who's a work in progress than see "Hey kids, we signed Austin Theory! Aren't you happy about that? Shiny EVOLVE guy!" and hear the crowd give negative shits about it.

So you would rather have NXT be exactly like RAW and SDL than an alternative brand?

Gotcha.