DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2019 - AUGUST

Dolfan in NYC

44 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking as a Yankees fan - I have no sympathy

I understand. It's OK.

I can already see Theo at the next Cubs convention saying, "see, this is why we don't want to spend money on FAs."

Jeff McNeil crushed a ball this afternoon for the Metropolitans against debuting Miami P Robert Dugger.  They threw up a stat, when he's thrown a first pitch strike, he's .416/.423/.883 with 9(!) homeruns (he only has 14 total).

Maybe stop throwing him 1st pitch strikes?  

---

Also, for those who like late season call ups, Miami's called up SS phenom Isan Diaz who was hitting .305/.395/.578 in AAA. 

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Jeff McNeil crushed a ball this afternoon for the Metropolitans against debuting Miami P Robert Dugger.  They threw up a stat, when he's thrown a first pitch strike, he's .416/.423/.883 with 9(!) homeruns (he only has 14 total).

---

Also, for those who like late season call ups, Miami's called up SS phenom Isan Diaz who was hitting .305/.395/.578 in AAA. 

Watching the game, poor Dugger is overwhelmed, lucky it's only 4-1 in the 5th. Probably not surprising since he has an ERA over 9(!) in 7 AAA appearances this year.

Uhhh....5-1 now

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Important follow up:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

---

I think Gary Cohen said he was the first starting pitcher in a century to give up a homer on the very first pitch of his big league career (12 others have done so but they were all releivers).

The Yanks hit their 32nd HR in Camden Yards last night which is the single-season record for a visiting team in one ballpark.

The mark was previously held by the Milwaukee Braves, who hit 29 at Cincinnati's Crosley Field in 1957.

Oh and NY has two more games in Baltimore

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Jonathan Lucroy reportedly will sign with the Cubs when he hits FA in a day or so

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I suppose that makes sense given the news Contreras will be out for about a month even though Lucroy is a shadow of his former self.

The moment Willson got hurt, my first thought was that Theo would sign Lucroy. This is the 2nd or 3rd time Willson has been hurt this season. He's been pretty good in between each injury too so this sucks for him.

The D-Backs have DFAed Greg Holland

I would say it is 50/50 someone claims him as with a billion teams still in the NL playoff race, I could see one not wanting to gamble on him picking them in free agencies.

Because everyone will think he can be fixed

I suspect that all of the good sports mojo was used up on the Blues this year...the Cardinals are in a weak division and still struggling.

Haven't been to a game since they changed stadiums (so it's been a while)...hope to change that soon, regardless of their place in the standings.

Bo Bichette:

• First rookie with an XBH in 9 straight games since Ted Williams
  • First player to have 12 XBH in first 11 games
  • First player to ever double in nine straight games.

I'm going to like these kids.

Maybe in the off-season we can go get some pitching. Any chance Stroman or Sanchez will be on the block? 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Haha 1

On 8/8/2019 at 9:52 PM, Oyaji said:

They really do have a nice group of young position players... Now if only they had some young arms, lol.

They got a bunch of young arms.  A couple will be up next year a couple the year after.  Nate Pearson will be up.  Borucki will be healthy.  Shoemaker will be back until a fluke injury takes him out.  Thornton should be better in his second year.  If Reid-Foley lays off the walks he can be effective.  Kay who they got from the Mets and Menoah their first rounder this year will be there late next year or early 2021.  They may actually get the purse strings opened since no one is making any money next year and if this crew can be consistent with the offense it makes sense to throw some money at a Jake Odorizzi or Gerrit Cole

• Like 1