DVDVR Message Board

Ranking Marvel Studios MCU Infinity Saga.

With Spider-Man: Far From Home, Marvel's Phase Three has ended. Bigger still, the Infinity Saga has come to a close. 23 films by Marvel Studios with Sony Pictures when it's the solo Spider-Man films set inside the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  To mark this amazing achievement, I thought it be fun to see where we've consensus and divisions. 

Here's mine in spoiler tags for size:

23. The Incredible Hulk (2008).

22. Thor: The Dark World (2013).

21. Iron Man 2 (2010).

20. Iron Man 3 (2013).

19. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018).

18. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017).

17. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).

16. Captain Marvel (2019).

15. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).

14. Ant-Man (2015).

13. Thor (2011).

12. Doctor Strange (2016).

11. Black Panther (2018).

10. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019).

9. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011).

8. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017).

7. Avengers: Endgame (2019).

6. Thor: Ragnarok (2017).

5. Iron Man (2008).

4. Avengers: Infinity War (2018).

3. Captain America: Civil War (2016).

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014).

1. Avengers Assemble (2012).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Cheers, @Niners Fan in CT. Putting it together, my #2 choice came the closest yet to toppling my top pick.

Looking at my list, only a few sequels are above the original.

You are lower on GOTG2 and Ant Man & the Wasp than me but your bottom half looks pretty similar to what mine would be.  I like the two aforementioned because I just viewed them as little harmless fun side projects. I'm waiting on my End Game steelbook to come in.  After I watch that again I'll do up a final list. 

• Like 1

This is hard largely because the MCU has been so consistent. My first reaction to Natural's list was that Ant Man & The Wasp was way too low, but scanning further up his list it's not like it's full of films where I can say "Yeah, that was clearly worse". (I would say that about the original Thor, but I've only seen it once and that was a long time ago.)

I expect Dark World and the Iron Man sequels being near the bottom will be a popular choice. I haven't seen The Incredible Hulk. (And it's the only one I haven't seen. I watch too many comic book movies.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You are lower on GOTG2 and Ant Man & the Wasp than me but your bottom half looks pretty similar to what mine would be.  I like the two aforementioned because I just viewed them as little harmless fun side projects. I'm waiting on my End Game steelbook to come in.  After I watch that again I'll do up a final list. 

Guardians of the Galaxy movies are those you have the opposite opinion on to the majority POV. That's me when it comes to them. The Mum bits in Guardians of the Galaxy I HATED less than a month after losing mine. I was so upset. My best friend was apologetic for not forewarning me. That's the first and only full viewing of it. I felt the Guardians were better written in the original to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and also had better locations. I only like a couple of sci-fi things so that's not in GotG's favour either.

Ant-Man and the Wasp dragged when I watched it, Ant-Man was inept/useless and I'd hoped for more Michelle Pfeiffer. Thanks for your post, @Niners Fan in CT and I look forward to your final list.

9 hours ago, tbarrie said:

This is hard largely because the MCU has been so consistent. My first reaction to Natural's list was that Ant Man & The Wasp was way too low, but scanning further up his list it's not like it's full of films where I can say "Yeah, that was clearly worse". (I would say that about the original Thor, but I've only seen it once and that was a long time ago.)

I expect Dark World and the Iron Man sequels being near the bottom will be a popular choice. I haven't seen The Incredible Hulk. (And it's the only one I haven't seen. I watch too many comic book movies.)

Cheers, @tbarrie. You're right that the MCU has been so consistent. There's a quality to it which means other movies get surpassed and are lower as a result of that. Like you, I expect I'm not the only one to have the Iron Man sequels particularity Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World and The Incredible Hulk as low as I do. I'd recommend The Incredible Hulk solely for completions sake for you. Least you've seen them all.

• 2 months later...
On 7/30/2019 at 11:37 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Have you watched Avengers: Endgame back, bud?

Edited by The Natural

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Have you watched Avengers: Endgame back, bud?

Yes,  thank you for reminding me.  So with Endgame I really like it but it does not crack my top tier because I think the time travel is a little bit wonky, It's a really fun movie with an amazing cast of characters but as a story I prefer Infinity War to it.  Still very good.  

My ranking of the Infinity Saga is looking like this -  

1. Captain America:  The Winter Soldier 

2. Black Panther 

3. Avengers: Infinity War

4. Iron Man 

5. Guardians of the Galaxy 

6. Avengers:  Endgame 

7. Captain America: Civil War

8. Marvel's The Avengers

9. Spider-Man Far From Home

10. Spider-Man Homecoming

11. Thor: Ragnarok 

12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

13. Captain America: First Avenger 

14. Ant-Man

15. Ant-Man and the Wasp

16. Thor

17. Doctor Strange

18. Captain Marvel 

19. The Incredible Hulk

20. Iron Man 2 

21. Thor: The Dark World 

22. Iron Man 3 

23. Avengers: Age of Ultron

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yes,  thank you for reminding me.  So with Endgame I really like it but it does not crack my top tier because I think the time travel is a little bit wonky, It's a really fun movie with an amazing cast of characters but as a story I prefer Infinity War to it.  Still very good.  

My ranking of the Infinity Saga is looking like this -  

1. Captain America:  The Winter Soldier 

2. Black Panther 

3. Avengers: Infinity War

4. Iron Man 

5. Guardians of the Galaxy 

6. Avengers:  Endgame 

7. Captain America: Civil War

8. Marvel's The Avengers

9. Spider-Man Far From Home

10. Spider-Man Homecoming

11. Thor: Ragnarok 

12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

13. Captain America: First Avenger 

14. Ant-Man

15. Ant-Man and the Wasp

16. Thor

17. Doctor Strange

18. Captain Marvel 

19. The Incredible Hulk

20. Iron Man 2 

21. Thor: The Dark World 

22. Iron Man 3 

23. Avengers: Age of Ultron

Thank you, @Niners Fan in CT. Time travel isn't my thing either though here, Avengers: Endgame allowed a return to Avengers Assemble which I enjoyed. I had other issues with the film. I also prefer Avengers: Infinity War to Endgame. Better story, Thanos is a real standout and other heroes get their moments such as Spider-Man and Doctor Strange.

We've very similar tastes. 3/5 films are in both top fives. Good seeing Iron Man high up. Our bottom five are nearly identical. Iron Man 3 and Avengers: Age of Ultron are my biggest MCU disappointments. Biggest discrepancy is Guardians of the Galaxy placement.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1