DVDVR Message Board

UFC 240: Holloway vs. Edgar (7/27/2019) - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (Rogers Place)

Elsalvajeloco

I would like to see Araujo vs. the winner of the fight next week between Mara Romero Borella vs. Lauren Murphy. Alexis Davis is a good win, but I would like to see her moved a little slower than your average prospect. She needs different looks.

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Man Felicia got punched in the face a lot. Yeah she's tough, but... man....can't fight like that forever, right?

She isn't going to run into too many Cyborgs at featherweight. That third round she ate just about everything. Admirable effort from Spencer.

As for Cyborg, it was a good showing and her cardio was impressive for someone with a big weight cut or else she wouldn't have had a big last round. If Felicia Spencer can stand up to that type of onslaught, I dunno how she gets Nunes out of there. Her best offense in the fight was the knees to the midsection. Those were brutal. However, if she doesn't hit Amanda right on the chin, it's going to be very hard for her to stop Amanda before Amanda gets to her. Cyborg is at her best when she mixes it up like she did in the third round with a bit of variety. There were about two or three high kicks she messed or just glanced off Spencer that would have likely ended the fight if they landed cleanly. If she decides to a sign a new UFC deal to fight Amanda, she has to be more measured like that last round against Spencer. She was extremely active without just standing in front of Spencer. In that first round, Felicia was able to land the elbow that cut Cyborg because Cyborg was there to be hit and in close range. At distance, in that final round, Cyborg absolutely hammered her.

• Like 1

I scored it 49-46 for Holloway. Frankie had a good round one, but the reach disparity was just too great. Once Holloway got going in round three, he just started to pull away. Besides dealing with the reach, Frankie was also a little devoted to going for takedowns. I know that's an Edgar staple, but he was going for singles but couldn't turn the corner.  Holloway would just go back to the fence and if Frankie switched to a double against the cage, Max would frame him off and they would break. Rinse, repeat. Edgar was just running out of ideas, and Max stunned him about three or four times in the last three rounds. If there is one thing about Max, once he starts making those adjustments (the reason for Max dominating in rds 3-5 and making sure Frankie's right hand missed more and more as the fight progressed), he makes sure you don't do anything to try to steal rounds. I believe it was round 3 where Frankie got his lone takedown out of more than a dozen attempts. Rogan is talking about how that one takedown might sway the judges when in reality Max hurt Frankie just before that takedown and was already starting to land at will. So when Edgar finally did get a takedown towards the end of the round, it ultimately didn't matter because Max had already done more than enough to win the round and Frankie couldn't do anything after getting the takedown. Edgar never got close to hitting another takedown, and Max had the fight completely under control. Now Holloway is onward to his next title defense against Volkanovski.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

So I got Edgar winning badly wrong. That reach advantage Blessed had. Felicia Spencer stood out with her toughness.

Figured on Edgar losing badly. I was pleasantly surprised that the chubby little girl was able to weather the best that Cyborg threw at her and show some impressive striking of her own. She may well be someone to watch if she can learn from this fight. Granted, Cyborg is going to out-muscle everyone not named Amanda Nunes, but Felicia put on a good fight, no shame in losing to a legend when you're being thrown up there as a practice dummy. I think Felicia made everyone think twice about that shit.