Guest The Magnificent 7

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:34 PM, The Natural said:

Can't believe we haven't done JOHN WILLIAMS till now:

Superman main theme (1978)

Star Wars main theme. 

Imperial March.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:14 PM, The Magnificent 7 said:

Don’t know if I can post tomorrow so here’s Saturday’s in advance.

Think from Superfly - Curtis Mayfield

Freddy's Dead - Curtis Mayfield

Yep, they even watched Soul Train in Japan.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, The Natural said:

Thank you for this. Allow me to post Extreme Ways by Moby from the best Jason Bourne movie, The Bourne Ultimatum (2007):

Julia Style's telltale grin right before Extreme Ways kicks in is the best.

I can't think of a movie franchise that had better endings than the three original Bourne joints. 

Bourne Legacy and Jason Bourne nearly ruined the run.   The movies weren't that great but the endings were still pretty good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Julia Style's telltale grin right before Extreme Ways kicks in is the best.

I can't think of a movie franchise that had better endings than the three original Bourne joints. 

Bourne Legacy and Jason Bourne nearly ruined the run.   The movies weren't that great but the endings were still pretty good.

I like to think the Bourne trilogy was just that. A trilogy with three great entries and no dropping the ball:

1. The Bourne Ultimatum (2007). 

2. The Bourne Identity (2002).

3. The Bourne Supremacy (2004).

Edited by The Natural

Speaking of Jason Bourne, Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass said it would have to be the right story for them to come back and do another. Shame Jason Bourne (2016) wasn't it.

I've told this story before but 20 minutes into Jason Bourne, it sent me to sleep for the first time at a cinema. I woke up five minutes before the end so I got to hear Extreme Ways over movie speakers. I watched the film when it hit TV and yeah, Damon/Greengrass should've called it with the Bourne Ultimatum.

• Like 1

Maybe it's me, but my ears pick up more cadence in the end credit theme for Dark Knight than they do for the end credit themes for Batman Beyond or The Dark Knight Rises.

I prefer the end credit theme to Dark Knight over any of the other movies in the trilogy, but I do have a soft spot for the incidental music in DKR, especially Deshi Basara.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Duel of the Fates from Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999) by John Williams.

You are too fast for me, bro.  I was about to comment how I mistakenly replied to your John Williams post with the opening creds from Superman when I really intended to post the Phantom Menace saber fight set to Duel of the Fates.

It is bittersweet, I love the physicality of the fight scene (RAY PARK, MOTHER FUCKERS~!) but I still chafe at the bad science behind the concept of the lightsaber and how they are wielded.

If you are armed with a close combat weapon that is capable of cutting nearly anything in half, there is no way you should be fighting in such a manner that the beam / blade is pointed towards you.  

Like Antonio Banderas said in The Mask of Zorro:  Pointy end goes in the other guy.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:43 PM, J.H. said:

Christ do I LOVE the Akira OST~!

True story.  I nearly got a speeding ticket while listening to this song on my AKIRA OST CD.

I got busted by a motorcycle cop while on the way to Michigan to my first duty station at TACOM as a graduate intern.  

The cop let me go with a warning because the reason he learned to ride a motorcycle is because he wanted to be like Kaneda.

Then I pulled THIS out of a box in my back seat and showed it to him.

kanedasbike1.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=eaf664c3a

and I got the standard, "You be careful now.  Don't let me catch you speeding again, sir."

I nodded and went on my way.

All of you drivers out there mind your speed when you in the car and listening to Kaneda's Theme.  There is something about that infectious taiko drum cadence that makes your car want to do at least eighty five miles per hour all on its own..

I would never listen to this while on a motorcycle.  I'd probably kill myself.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, The Magnificent 7 said:

Southern Comfort - Ry Cooder

I love this movie and the music.  It was the first horror / thriller movie with no monsters in it to scare the living shit out of me as a kid.  It really was Deliverance turned into a slasher movie of sorts.

Let us harken back to a better time where Powers Boothe could actually find work playing protagonists.

Edited by J.T.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

One of the mightiest 70s movie soundtracks, with the best closing theme ever for my money.

I thought the universal answer to that question from all wrasslin' marks would be:

and lest we forget:

19 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I consider Star Trek The Motion Picture to be a grossly misunderstood classic. The soundtrack is one of many reasons

James

Eh, I think the first movie fairly earned its maligned status and totally set the trend of "Odd Trek Movies Suck," but I will give you that the OST is fucking awesome. 

It was badass enough for TNG to fully embrace The Enterprise as the running theme for the show.

I was thrilled and bummed when the JJ Abrams reboots went aaaaaalllll the way back to the old school television theme for the end credits.  That's how much the Enterprise theme has grown on me over the years.

Edited by J.T.

The music for most Marvel Studios movies is rather forgettable with only a couple of notable exceptions.

That shit will make you believe that you can fly in real life.

As far as superhero movie incidental music goes, I am a solid Danny Elfman dude whether it be Batman zooming in to save Gotham or Spider-Man final swings through the NYC cityscape.

Edited by J.T.

To this very day, I consider the omission of Daft Punk's Tron:  Legacy OST from the Best Movie Score balloting in the 2010 Academy Awards to be a major snub.

And since my thoughts are trending Fuck You, Oscars.

This joint came out in the 80's and it still sounds like the music of tomorrow.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

You are too fast for me, bro.  I was about to comment how I mistakenly replied to your John Williams post with the opening creds from Superman when I really intended to post the Phantom Menace saber fight set to Duel of the Fates.

It is bittersweet, I love the physicality of the fight scene (RAY PARK, MOTHER FUCKERS~!) but I still chafe at the bad science behind the concept of the lightsaber and how they are wielded.

If you are armed with a close combat weapon that is capable of cutting nearly anything in half, there is no way you should be fighting in such a manner that the beam / blade is pointed towards you.  

Like Antonio Banderas said in The Mask of Zorro:  Pointy end goes in the other guy.

Great minds think alike, bro!

• Like 1