DVDVR Message Board

NXT TV (July 17, 2019) - NO SPOILERS

RIPPA

Announced for tonight

• Adam Cole wrestles
  • KUSHIDA vs. Apollo Crews
  • Matt Riddle vs. Arturo Ruas
  • Breakout Tournament: Bronson Reed (Jonah Rock) vs. Dexter Lumis (Sam Shaw)
  • Street Profits do something

Riddle/Ruas was pretty nice while it lasted. The attack from Dain at the was decent enough until the stage crash which upped the moment a good deal.

Reed/Lumis was ok. The most standout thing to me here was Lumis. The man looks and carries himself like sort of a serial killer/Terminator combo.

Kushida/Crews was nice enough.

I'm not sure how Mia beating the shit out of Shafir as she was entering her car was supposed to be a face move on Yim's part. 

I like Lumis too. Good look and athleticism. Not sure I ever saw him as Samuel Shaw and it looks like similar gimmick, gloves and all, but the moustache brings it all together. Dude looks like he stepped out of King of Fighters ‘98.

Other matches were good too. I have the feeling Crews will be exploring his future endeavours soon, which is probably for the best since he’s never seemed to catch on with audiences. I still think a heel run could be fun though.

Honestly, Gargano/Cole again is not the main event I wanted for a Takeover I’ll be attending. That match and stip sound exhausting, especially live, but I’m sure it will be a hell of a show.

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm not sure how Mia beating the shit out of Shafir as she was entering her car was supposed to be a face move on Yim's part. 

Haven't seen it yet but considering she wants to ensure Shayna doesn't have backup it makes sense to me.  Though if Takeover is a few weeks away it would have made sense for her to do this a bit closer to the show.

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Makes her a smart face for once.  She's avoiding the same mistake Shayna's last few opponents have made and taking out her goons.

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

Makes her a smart face for once.  She's avoiding the same mistake Shayna's last few opponents have made and taking out her goons.

Maybe, but its not super close to the ppv, and at this point there was seemingly no provocation. It kind of just makes Mia look like an asshole. 

21 hours ago, Eivion said:

Maybe, but its not super close to the ppv, and at this point there was seemingly no provocation. It kind of just makes Mia look like an asshole. 

Well an argument could be made that the provocation was Shayna's entire title run with the constant interference.   Also while Mia is a face she isn't a saint either.   She has no problems getting mean.  

So far the one that puts Lumis over then in TNA was that in TNA the idea was that everyone thought he was a nice guy who was actually a psycho behind their backs.  here there is no hiding it which works.   

Lumis was one of the most standout people I've seen in awhile and he's already gone in that tournament. Damn. He even creeped me out. This guy looks like a star.

He's also perfect for the current obsession with true crime and murderers. I don't how much the wrestling fan and true crime fan circles on the Venn Diagram overlap, but Lumis scratches both of those itches.

Edited by Craig H

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm telling you, the minute Vince finds out about him, he's either getting fired or managing someone to the WWE Championship:

The exact same thing Moxley talked about might happen to him. Mox said the worst thing he ever did was let Vince know he was funny or could do comedy stuff because then that's all he got. Stokely is maybe one of the funniest guys in the whole company. If Vince thinks he's funny too, he's going to get a whole dump truck of Vince comedy shit to work with.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, Craig H said:

The exact same thing Moxley talked about might happen to him. Mox said the worst thing he ever did was let Vince know he was funny or could do comedy stuff because then that's all he got. Stokely is maybe one of the funniest guys in the whole company. If Vince thinks he's funny too, he's going to get a whole dump truck of Vince comedy shit to work with.

Can we please distract the old man with something shiny so he stays away from this guy?

• Like 1

1) Sign me up for Lumis. He's the only guy in the tournament so far that I've been into. Great look, awesome theme song, etc. He definitely stood out.

2) Mia attacking Shayna's goons is great. It isn't just for the match. Shayna et. al. have been attacking people everywhere for months. Mia's giving them just payback AND is playing it smart before her match. This is the first interesting thing Mia has done in NXT, too. 

3) The Riddle match was a cool change of pace from what "regular" pro wrestling looks like. The post-match attack was also super nice. I'm really excited for the new Killian Dane. I think it's a pretty great weirdo character. How old is he supposed to be? He's talking about growing up in Belfast during the peak of the troubles and losing his hearing to car bombs and etc.? The Good Friday Agreement was signed during Clinton and the next level crazy was dying down in the early 90s already. I'm 41. Does his mean Dane is like a 55-year-old? Is he Real IRA or some Protestant Ultra? Either way, it's great wrestling nonsense and I'm all in.

4) I am so torn on the Kushida/Crews match. That was a really good match and the crowd got into it. But man Kushida doesn't do anything for me. He feels like a cut-and-paste puro guy. People who already watch Japanese wrestling love him. I don't watch Japanese wrestling. He's been a snooze so far. He's like 1/100000th as cool as Shinsuke or Asuka or Io. Just a dorky guy in a vest with some decent looking submissions and that's about it. Crews was also mostly a snooze in NXT. His return had a good nostalgia pop to it and he connected with the crowd well. The match turned out to be good with a guy with a natural charisma about him (Crews) in there against a pretty solid worker without a character that stands out. That will work a lot of times. But Kushida is not my cup of tea.

5) Adam Cole is a wonderful d-bag but yeah I'm fine with no more Johnny Gargano.