DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

So only sitcoms are worthwhile? Kind of disappointing to hear.

Peacock has Mr. Mercedes. It’s not actually  an original series, but they picked it up after the AT&T streaming service it was on went under. Can’t recommend it enough. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 6:48 PM, odessasteps said:

According to mark evaniers blog, there is now a Kino Lorner streaming service. Did I miss someone mentioning that? 

kinonow dot com 

Kino Now has been around for a couple of years as a VOD service.

What launched this past weekend was KINO CULT, which focuses exclusively on the horror/action/sci-fi/cult film side of their catalog. It is ad-supported, I havent had a chance to watch anything yet but hoping its more like Tubi and Roku Channel where its only 5 or 6 ad breaks per movie and they are all done at scene breaks and not the Crackle "4 minutes of ads every 10 minutes whether there's a proper scene break or not", though most ad-supported stuff seems to be the former these days.

Overall collection looks decent, not super large but every press release I saw noted that more movies will be added monthly, though you can also tell its mostly movies that they have probably made the money KL is going to make on physical Blu-ray sales already.

• Like 2

Watching a movie on Kino Cult right now and the ad break placements have been horrendous. Watching the documentary London in the Raw and one commercial break came right in the middle of a variety show song they're filming. Pretty much every 10 minutes on the dot

• Sad 2

I'm watching The Wanderers on Kino Cult (I watch this movie at least once a year and have for like 20 years) and the commercials are coming exactly every 5 minutes. Four commercials each break, rotating through 6 different commercials. It is driving me mad, especially because the commercials are way louder than the movie.

I really want to love this service, but what was annoying during London in the Raw is becoming unwatchable with this movie.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Paging @Craig H

It appears HBO Max for Roku has updated itself a few times and is a LOT more usable now, at least for some.  It's definitely better on my 3-ish year old Insignia Roku TV.  YMMV.

Well that's good at least. I've just been using the PS5 since it now has just about every streaming service I use. HBO Max, Apple+, YTTV, etc. all work really well on it. I had stopped using the app on the Roku TV altogether because I would keep trying to select my profile when you open the app and nothing would happen until you clicked on it 4 or 5 times.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NBCUniversal has announced a new theatrical windowing model that will stream most titles from Universal Filmed Entertainment Group (UFEG) exclusively on Peacock as early as 45 days after their theatrical and PVOD release. This distribution model will begin with the studio’s 2022 film slate and will maintain UFEG’s existing PVOD deals with exhibition.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 7:28 PM, Mister TV said:

As someone who might cave to Disney’s master plan and ditch YouTube TV for Hulu Live, how’s Hulu Live?

I like it well enough.  The interface is a little weirder than other cable-replacement services I’ve used (Sling and Fubo) but you get used to it.  You need to pay extra to have their library stuff be commercial free, which is lame. The DVR also has maybe 2:30 of unskippable commercials every 2nd or 3rd break unless you pay extra and that’s kinda shitty but I DVR so little I don’t sweat it too much.  Their channel lineup is good except no AMC.  Their library is decent.  Feel free to reach out if you have any other specific questions!

Also, by ditching YouTube TV, you give a little less personal data to Google!  ?

Edited by Technico Support

13 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Yep I saw that, at least they're still crediting everybody who didn't have those channels for a whopping couple days. Still, every time they have to do this negotiation and such and such media conglomerate threatens to pull their stuff, it's so frustrating. A la carte TV can and never will happen, it seems.

• RIPPA locked this topic