DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Streaming Service Discussion

Niners Fan in CT

On 3/14/2021 at 11:45 AM, Shartnado said:

Other than that, for the stuff I was really into later on, was Beavis & Butt-Head, The State, Dead at 21 and Into the Pit - section of Headbanger's Ball.

As far as the Ball is concerned: 

On March 17, 2021, it was announced that Headbangers Ball would once again be revived as simply The Ball, with Riki Rachtman returning as host and Knotfest.com representing it. The show will find Rachtman "reviving that classic heavy metal music video show feel in an episode that will feature videos from the likes of Megadeth, Metallica, Power Trip, and so much more." Its first episode will be premiered on March 27, 2021 on Gimme Metal TV.

Not that I give two shits about Riki Rachtman but it would be nice to see metal videos that aren't the same 10-15 every Friday on Metal Mayhem. I guess this is Gimme Metal TV

https://www.gimmemetal.com/#/welcome

Unfortunately I just missed out on the original Ball. Right as I was getting into music they switched to 120 Minutes which was like watching paint dry in music form to me. All there was was B&B who pretty much trashed anything I liked, like Mercyful Fate/King Diamond or Grim Reaper. I was watching when they renewed the show and Rob Zombie made the hilarious mistake of trashing Lemmy on air and getting subsequently fired as a result though haha. They came back from commercial break and he had to apologize on air, with his brother from Powerman 5000 sitting there telling him he fucked up. 

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Not that I give two shits about Riki Rachtman but it would be nice to see metal videos that aren't the same 10-15 every Friday on Metal Mayhem. I guess this is Gimme Metal TV

Unfortunately I just missed out on the original Ball. Right as I was getting into music they switched to 120 Minutes which was like watching paint dry in music form to me. All there was was B&B who pretty much trashed anything I liked, like Mercyful Fate/King Diamond or Grim Reaper. I was watching when they renewed the show and Rob Zombie made the hilarious mistake of trashing Lemmy on air and getting subsequently fired as a result though haha. They came back from commercial break and he had to apologize on air, with his brother from Powerman 5000 sitting there telling him he fucked up. 

I don't think I ever bothered to watch a single episode of 120 minutes, even partially. Hard pass.

Shit, you'd think Rob F'n Zombie would know better than thrash Lemmy? I mean I like his music more than I do Motörhead in general, but that goes against all common sense.

Somewhere else, he was taken off the panel for answering "Slayer" to the question "Who is the biggest bad ass in Rock Music?" , when other panelists said apparently Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen. Now, that answer I get, but dissing Lemmy seems like an unnecessary career -suicide.

Edited by Shartnado
added quotes
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So... would Paramount+ be able to upload say old MTV concerts they aired and whatnot like Woodstock '99?   i just want them to put up classic MTV content dammit 

They have the first season of Unplugged and that's about it for old music content, I wonder if they'll slowly roll the other seasons out. When it comes to music I think something like Unplugged which was a MTV production top to bottom can be streamed on Paramount+, while something like Woodstock 99 which MTV most likely paid a rights fee to air wouldn't and a new deal with whoever owns Woodstock 99 would need to be made.

I think when it comes to the music used in MTV shows or any show it's all about the original deal made with the rights holders of the music, season 1 of the Real World has replacement music but season 2, 3 & 4 have the original, so I'm thinking that whatever deal Bunim-Murray(owners of the Real World) made for season 1 was just for airings on MTV proper(not syndication or home video), while seasons 2, 3 & 4 must have had a deal that covered everything. The same thing happens sometimes with movies where a song is only in the original version and maybe home video but not cable or broadcast tv airings.

Apparently Freaks and Geeks is a bit of a nightmare to add to streaming services, because the producers of that only bought music rights for one year, but a lot of the songs used are absolutely integral to the plots of the episodes.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 6:40 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Headbanger's Ball wasn't that great.  The videos were basically the same hair metal stuff they played throughout the day with a couple of heavier ones like Megadeth or Slayer thrown in.  The MTV2 version with Jamey Jasta did actually show a lot of heavy music, but of course it didn't last long.

Okay I am putting this all here

Hulu announced that it will be doing a limited series on the life of Mike Tyson (done by the people who did I, Tonya) called Iron Mike (this was back sometime in Feb)

Tyson came out very vocally against the project so lots of Hollywood folks then contacted him to do one he approved off.

The winner of that turns out to be Jamie Foxx and Antoine Fuqua. So the Tyson biopic that Foxx has been selling for like the last 5 years will get done, just as a limited series. (Apparently Martin Scorsese is attached as an executive producer)

So the bidding war for that series now begins

2 hours ago, Neil Koch said:

Headbanger's Ball wasn't that great.  The videos were basically the same hair metal stuff they played throughout the day with a couple of heavier ones like Megadeth or Slayer thrown in.  The MTV2 version with Jamey Jasta did actually show a lot of heavy music, but of course it didn't last long.

After Kerrang magazine found out about Headbanger's Ball, they changed the name of their annual Soccer tournament.

To Ballheader's Bang.

• Haha 2

Paramount+ has season one of You Can't Do That on Television up, one of those episodes would have been the first thing I watched on cable tv when we first got it in 1982.

Also Paramount+ doesn't have any kind of watchlist function, that's kind of mind blowing but their interface is still better than Peacock's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

Paramount+ has season one of You Can't Do That on Television up, one of those episodes would have been the first thing I watched on cable tv when we first got it in 1982.

Same here. I’ll briefly flip out if they manage to put up Out of Control.

Edited by JonnyLaw

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 7:06 PM, Casey said:

Well, this is random. Mythic Quest's new season doesn't drop until May 7th, but an 11th episode for S1 was literally just added today.

Wait, is this something in addition to the virtual work episode they added after the season ended? If it's that, then that's been on Apple+ for awhile now.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Wait, is this something in addition to the virtual work episode they added after the season ended? If it's that, then that's been on Apple+ for awhile now.

This is new.

Just now, Control said:

This is new.

Oh damn. Nice! 

Aaaand apparently there isn't an Apple TV+ app available for the Note 20 Ultra. Ok then. Guess I'll watch it later tonight then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AT&T is spinning WarnerMedia and combining it with Discovery

The reason I mention it here is because it means that HBO Max and Discovery+ will be combining in some shape or form

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

AT&T is spinning WarnerMedia and combining it with Discovery

The reason I mention it here is because it means that HBO Max and Discovery+ will be combining in some shape or form

If it means I pay less for both, awesome.