DVDVR Message Board

UFC 239: Jones vs. Santos (7/6/2019) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I don't care for Chiesa, but as soon as Sanchez showed up with those corny ass hard man staredowns at one of the pressers, I was like, "This guy needs to get fucked up."

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Somebody call the police. I guess Rockhold retires after this.

Why was he talking about Jon Jones for the past several months knowing moving up to 205 means he is giving up his size advantage? He's fighting guys his size now. Blachowicz was a horrible matchup for him. Big guy who is a grappler (as I mentioned earlier in the week) but well rounded enough to do exactly what he did to Luke tonight.

Holly looked tentative more than usual after she started feeling leather. Her triple clutch Jon Jones kick left her wide open for that finish.

Edited by Oyaji

On Tuesday, July 02, 2019 at 4:41 PM, OSJ said:

I could be way wrong on this, but I fully expect a first-round finish going Amanda's way. Holly is first and foremost a boxer and tends to need the first round to warm up and get in her zone, Amanda isn't going to give her that luxury.

On Tuesday, July 02, 2019 at 5:09 PM, The Natural said:

You've got company. I also think Amanda Nunes takes a first-round stoppage. I fancy Nunes to be the first fighter to stop Holly Holm with strikes in MMA.

Thought it was an early stoppage but after the replay and that kick probably not

The argument is over Nunes is the greatest female MMA fighter ever.  Maybe not the most important or historic but skill wise hard to argue

• Like 1

Man, that was a nice kick knowing that Holm was going to bend right into position. Hell of an adjustment by Nunes, and I'm glad I was wrong. Bravo to OSJ and The Natural.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Thought it was an early stoppage but after the replay and that kick probably not

The argument is over Nunes is the greatest female MMA fighter ever.  Maybe not the most important or historic but skill wise hard to argue

Once she beat Cyborg, it was hard to argue even though 145 has never been a real division. The problem going back to the DEEP and Smackgirl days is a lot of those really good fighters were beating girls who just got into the sport or were sub .500 at the time or spent most of their career there. They went on long runs but it was never against name fighter after name fighter after name fighter.

Julia Budd (best W145 not in UFC) - 0:14

Ronda Rousey (most important WMMA figure ever) - 0:48

Chris Cyborg (invincible "secret boss" of WMMA) - 0:51

Meisha Tate (in the UFC 200 main event, no less) - 3:16

Germaine de Randamie (current #1 contender @ W135)  - 3:56

Holly Holm (Two-sport champ, top 10 all-time women's boxer) - 4:10

And she's beaten Valentina Schevchenko twice. Best of all-time and it isn't even close.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Julia Budd (best W145 not in UFC) - 0:14

Ronda Rousey (most important WMMA figure ever) - 0:48

Chris Cyborg (invincible "secret boss" of WMMA) - 0:51

Meisha Tate (in the UFC 200 main event, no less) - 3:16

Germaine de Randamie (current #1 contender @ W135)  - 3:56

Holly Holm (Two-sport champ, top 10 all-time women's boxer) - 4:10

And she's beaten Valentina Schevchenko twice. Best of all-time and it isn't even close.

Not only was Holly a top women's boxer, but she fought all the best women in different weight classes (Valentina, Rousey, Tate, Megan Anderson, Cyborg, GdR, and Nunes). 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Man, that was a nice kick knowing that Holm was going to bend right into position. Hell of an adjustment by Nunes, and I'm glad I was wrong. Bravo to OSJ and The Natural.

*bows deeply*

Bittersweet, Amanda is without question the GOAT, but it will be a sad day here in New Mexico; we do love us some Holly Holm.

• Like 1