DVDVR Message Board

UFC 239: Jones vs. Santos (7/6/2019) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Maybe I bought too much into Countdown, but I think Jones is going to lose. I can't think of the last guy Jones fought that's as wild as Santos and I wasn't super impressed with his last two defenses.

Of course, I might be wrong, but it's just a gut feeling at this point.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

Maybe I bought too much into Countdown, but I think Jones is going to lose. I can't think of the last guy Jones fought that's as wild as Santos and I wasn't super impressed with his last two defenses.

I mean I've been impressed by Jones in his last two fights. Against Gustafsson, he implemented a hell of a gameplan. Anthony Smith is a notoriously tough out. With that said, in other divisions, guys like Marreta don't get far enough to challenge for a title. I thought after Mousasi beat him at UFC 200, that was it for him challenging for a belt. Mousasi just made him look amateurish. Then, Eric Spicely of all people made it look like he had never grappled in his life. Even though I don't think the Branch loss was a fluke, I do chalk that somewhat up to weight issues.

I think what has aided Marreta in his climb at 205 is there are no real successful pure grapplers right now. Vinicius Moreira just got his face blown off by Eryk Anders the other week (and Alonzo Menifield before that) . Paul Craig got demolished by Alonzo Menifield on that same card last week. Jan Blachowicz is the closest to being that throughout his UFC run, but he got his first submission in the UFC almost exactly three years after he entered the UFC. Plus, Jan isn't the best with takedowns which has forced him to become well rounded. Misha Cirkunov looked like he was going to be that dude for real but all his UFC losses are by TKO. He is 1-3 in his last 4 fights. I think people aren't really intimidated by him anymore. Marreta was still a middleweight when Cirkunov made that run anyway. The point is when it's that hard for really dominant ground fighters to make it in the division, if you're someone like Marreta, you're going to thrive. However, I do think it's a matter who the guy is as well. Sans Spicely who himself is a one dimensional BJJ guy,  Marreta has only lost to guys who are at least pretty good. I think everyone would pick Marreta to beat a Vinny Magalhaes. No matter how many gi and no gi BJJ titles Vinny wins, his chin and gas tank are hideously bad. Marreta would get to him before Vinny got to him. Against a Ryan Bader whose standup has improved, he would get ate up alive. I don't see Marreta stopping those takedowns. Same with a DC who isn't there at 205 anymore, but I DQ him from the conversation altogether because he has proven himself as either number 2 or 1 in both divisions he has been in. He's not just a regular contender.

So knowing Marreta hasn't really had that much success against that type of fighter, that should give anyone pause thinking he beats Jon Jones. From the Gustafsson rematch, I know Jon has the ability to come in with an awesome gameplan. Why the fuck would he stand there and brawl with Marreta? It makes no sense at all. He can just pick him apart, wait till he gasses, takedown, and then annihilate on the ground. Knowing that Marreta can be sloppy from time to time, it's hard to imagine a successful strategy he can employ that would cause Jon to fight a fight he doesn't want to fight. As long as Jon is the maestro, he is going to win pretty handily. Could I see Marreta land by a hail mary high kick or spinning back fist? It would take the set up of a lifetime to do it. He isn't facing a semi pro hockey player who is just going to be there for that to happen. It would require Jon to have lost a step (which he hasn't shown by any means so far), and Marreta to be a guy he hasn't been since I've seen him in the UFC. Here's what I wrote about him when he fought Blachowicz in Prague back in late February:

- It was intriguing to see Marreta be patient in the fight against Jan Błachowicz. I think he knows he has that tendency to run into punches as well and even though Błachowicz isn't a puncher, he can catch you and then finish you on the ground. I mean Marreta was still throwing ridiculous windmills at a couple points, but he was clearly trying to stay out of harm's way as to not eat that counter. I think on the part of Błachowicz, he knew it was going to be an ugly stalemate if he didn't force the issue. On one hand, you question why someone would wildly throw strikes at Marreta while backing him up to the fence forgetting to look out for a left hook counter. On the other hand, you put yourself in an odd spot because a pedestrian fight with nothing going on with small bursts of offense here and there doesn't afford you the ability to effectively win rounds. Moreover, he had to expend the gas tank of Marreta. Just throwing outside low kicks wasn't really going to do it. So hats off to Marreta for getting it done. I think my one big drawback with Marreta here is he didn't really have to do or show anything extra to get it done. No fault of his own, but I don't see an avenue to win over a Jon Jones or even an Alexander Gustafsson. Marreta still needs you leave that door open so he can walk through it. Against the very best in any division, unless it's a Fabricio Werdum letting Stipe cold cock him as Werdum frantically stumbles toward him and essentially what Błachowicz did against Marreta, you have to force those openings to be created. I think the weight cut likely did have an effect on Marreta's performance down a weight class, but at his core, he is still the same fighter in terms of his habits. He will either win big or lose big. As a fan, I don't really have a problem with that. Just temper the expectations.

That was his best opponent at 205 prior to this fight with Jon, and he was the same guy he has been. If Jan didn't engage him and run headlong into the left hook, Marreta probably wins or loses a very boring decision. Either way, I doubt he gets a title shot. How does he get to Jon without being effectively defanged? Because that will be Jon's strategy most likely. If Marreta was a more overall dynamic fighter, I could see an obvious avenue for any upset. The problem is he is fighting the absolute dynamic fighter.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

I was shaking watch this live. Fucking awesome fight. My three favourite WMMA fights be this, Tate vs. Rousey I in Strikeforce of March 2012 and Holm vs. Rousey.

Edited by The Natural

Everyone made weight at the official weigh ins with Claudia Gadelha being the last one to hop on the scales. So both the main event and co-main events are official.

• Like 1

Shoutout to Marreta for dressing like the Salamanca cousins. Also, thank god this card ain't at the Forum because I don't think people down there would be taking too kindly to Amanda and Claudia walking around with blue and red bandanas respectively.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 8:31 AM, Craig H said:

Hope so. C'mon Santos. 

This could either be a wild one or a big disappointment..

I like Nunes, so I don't want to root against her, but the idea of Holly Holm stopping two world class fighters during the height of their greatness sounds like a helluva story.

If this was wrestling, Ben Askren would get his face melted, but still win by another wonky(in the eyes of the fans) ref stoppage. Just to build the legend before the eventual title fight.

Jon Jones fight is only exciting at the possibility he'll lose. I don't know if Thiago is that guy, but I'll watch like everyone else.

I dunno what it is but Randa Markos consistently comes in with the worst gameplans ever. I was ready to criticize Claudinha for changing gyms for like the 6th time, but that fight being bad was on Randa. 

I've loved Randa since TUF, but it seems she can never win two in a row ever. I thought coming off her last super impressive win and performance of the night, maybe her luck would change but not to be : ( 

• Like 1

Hernandez vs Vera was just the pick me up the show needed, after Randa Markos decided to sleepwalk to a decision loss (nb: If it's a boring fight and you're winning, no problem. Safe win, don't take damage. If it's a boring fight and you're losing, DO SOMETHING). After the final bell they showed highlights of the bout, and one of them was an uppercut to the boob. Seemed a bit more Fox era than ESPN era, that.