DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

17 hours ago, driver said:

New season of Mr. Inbetween hits in Sept. Can't wait.

This was one of the better new series I watched last year. I was pretty quickly hooked and the two episodes from the same time, but each one from a different perspective was great.

So I binged all of Great News and liekd it but there is definitely a style to stuff done by Tina Fey. I mean this basically felt like 30 Rock just in a news setting. The fact that fey's husband does music for both of these as well Kimmy Schmidt doesn't help either as it all starts sounding the same.

James

Edited by J.H.

I thought GREAT NEWS was Fey's husband's show, but apparently it's the work of a 30 Rock writer (Tracey Wigfield, who also played Beth on GN)

Guess it's nice to have friends in high places.

I binged through the first 4 episodes of Euphoria and I think it's the best show on TV right now.  At first I thought oh here we go another 13 Reasons Why (which was okay but cheesy and completely far-fetched at times).  I wasn't sure about the narration and where it was going...    but boy did it pick up and now I'm hooked.  

Episode 4 was stunning visually and very well acted.  This cast is great and the production values are top notch.  Is it way over the top?  Hell yeah it is but it is not far-fetched at all..  unfortunately every single awful horrible situation or thought that has been put on screen is pretty much exactly how a lot of this plays out and with it being HBO they don't sugarcoat any of it.  

I could see why people wouldn't want to watch it though.  It can be a tough watch.  I dealt with some bad anxiety issues and different types of medications and that all hit close to home for me but it was based in reality as is every other terrible thing that happens in the show.  Yes,  this show can be very depressing..  it's not for everyone at all.  Not at all. 

Big Little Lies continues to be the most gloriously fucking stupid TV show around that critics think is mesmerizing and good. It's dogshit, but I can't look away.

Just to sum up some of the idiocy in the last few episodes, Perry's mom was able to magically file a petition to gain custody of the kids. And it was allowed to continue. And it's being played up that Celeste might actually lose. Now, I am lucky enough to not be a part of any custody battle, but the thought has crossed my mine to try and get full custody of my daughter or get her nearly full time except every other weekend. However, doing so is not as easy as just filing a fucking petition. You have to get an ad litem involved and the ad litem basically sits and monitors what the situation is like at home and then ultimately they interview the children to see if there's anything shady going on.

NONE OF THIS SHIT HAPPENS.

To make it worse, this show goes out of its way to basically demonize any woman who ever dares to have a sex life. It is completely bizarre and I have no idea why any of these actors signed on for a second season knowing that there was this kind of bullshit in store.

I mean, some of this effectively makes Perry's mom look like the biggest villain on TV and you really just want to see a cinder block fall on her head or see her get stomped out like Kurt Russel did at the end of Death Proof. But at the same time, it's really cheap, shitty, and stupid writing from someone who thinks they have a grasp on how any of this works without doing the research. It's basically like M. Night writing Glass and using his own perception of what the health industry is or how a psychiatric facility works without actually doing the research, and then when you watch it you can't suspend your disbelief because of how detached from reality it is.

In other news, we just have to ratchet up the drama in Bonnie's life and they do that by playing it out like she caused her mom to have a stroke. While her mom is in a coma, she has unraveled even more.

Oh, and because no one can look remotely good on this show, they're even starting to write Ed as a piece of shit. He's now being tempted by another woman to sleep with her. However, if Ed didn't have a daughter, I'd say he should take the offer, move on, and just be happy because he's never going to find trust or happiness with Madeline again. That said, it's clear they should have written this as him being the one whose trust needs to be re-earned, but the way the writers are doing it just demonizes him and makes him look like a piece of shit because he doesn't immediately jump back into Madeline's arms.

This show is so fucking weird and terrible, but I can stop watching it. I have to know how this train filled with manure crashes.

@Craig H thank you for taking the bullet and writing these posts.  I enjoyed season 1 and have zero desire at all to watch this season, but your brief, exasperated recaps are a good read.

I read an article last week about how HBO hired one director to do this season, then brought back last season's director after it was all shot to completely re-edit/retool the season.  Note: that's not the same article I read but you can get the gist of it from there.  There were apparently 15 editors credited as well.  Sounds like a shitshow and I can definitely understand how this season is a confusing, disjointed mess.

Edited by Technico Support

21 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

@Craig H thank you for taking the bullet and writing these posts.  I enjoyed season 1 and have zero desire at all to watch this season, but your brief, exasperated recaps are a good read.

I read an article last week about how HBO hired one director to do this season, then brought back last season's director after it was all shot to completely re-edit/retool the season.  Note: that's not the same article I read but you can get the gist of it from there.  There were apparently 15 editors credited as well.  Sounds like a shitshow and I can definitely understand how this season is a confusing, disjointed mess.

Oh dude, I read that today. If you were watching the show, it would make so much sense. There's so many...so fucking many quick cuts like Kevin Dunn is in the production truck. It's crazy. The editing is just all over the place and when the editors can't think of something to flashback to, they just quick cut away to waves crashing or something. It's so out of control that you almost have to see it to believe it.

I also forgot to mention that Celeste's attorney for this whole implausible custody battle has done the equivalent of sitting on her hands the whole time to the point where in the last 30 seconds of last night's episode Celeste stops the judge from reading her judgment and says she wants to call Perry's mom as a witness and Celeste will be the one to do the examination.

In what fucking universe would that be allowed? She literally stopped the judge from announcing her decision a second before announcing it and the judge was like, "well, I don't think this is a good idea, but I'll allow it." FUCKING...WHAT?! WHAAAAT?! I laughed out loud at how absurd it was. 

I was shocked to find out that last night's episode was the penultimate episode. To say that nothing has happened would be an understatement.

Here's what I don't get the most...David E. Kelley had absolutely no intention of making a second season of this TV series. So if that's the case, why didn't he stick to how the book ended and instead left it open ended for this whole investigation by this detective. If he didn't think a 2nd season was necessary and didn't want any part of it...then why did you make it to leave things open for a 2nd season? It's just really weird. Even if HBO saw that there was more money to be made, you can still easily close out the first season the way the book ended and have the second season be more about how each person kinda unravels from one thing or another without the ultra contrived custody battle stuff, without the murder investigation stuff, without Perry's mom being used as an agent by the detective to try and arrest these women, and so on.

Oh...one last thing. This is a completely unfair comparison, but Barry is another dramedy/dark comedy with detectives where even though the detectives on it are dumb and hopeless, they're still more plausible that this one detective on Big Little Lies.

• Haha 1

Euphoria was good again. It was slower which I thought it would be because episode 4 was so nuts but they are really nailing these characters and dialog.  They are exactly how a lot of people I know (or have known in the past mostly) talk or act..  it's depressing but so good and accurate. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

I kinda thought Stewart would be the guy that had enough mainstream success that he wouldn't need to go back to the Trek well.  

Hope they threw a lot of money at him.

He may very well want to do it.

So it took me ages to get through Outlander season two, because the first half of the story was set in pre Revolutionary France and was all about trying to prevent the Jacobite Rebellion from happening, thus preventing the end of the Highland Clans in the massacre at Culloden. Once that failed, and they were back in, it suddenly became about trying to ensure the Jacobite Rebellion succeeded, thus preventing the massacre at Culloden. But the feature length finale would have really pissed me off if I'd watched it all in one go, because the actual battle they've been building to all year doesn't happen in the episode. It's a time travel back to 1948, then time jump to 1968 (the lead actress has a grey streak in her hair to illustrate being 20 years older) and family drama about who her daughter's real father is. There are clips of the battle in flashback in season three episode one, which aired last week. But they should have been the climax to season two, last September.