DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

58 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

A friend of mine complained that it was as far away from the comics as the Preacher show was.

I don’t know about that after one episode(I never finished The Boys comic. I stopped around the part they went to Russia(?) to kill a bunch of Supers), but I can say as a person who read through Preacher a few times, the first episode of this was more faithful to the first few issues of The Boys, than Preacher the tv series has ever been to the comic. Like this is exactly what the comic tone was, and that’s a dark comedic satire like a lot of Ennis’s stuff is. While The Preacher TV series was barely close to that tone in its first season.

Edit: While I’m watching the 2nd episode, I can tell you a big change that I noticed. The Homelander has more character than I remember.

Edit: Also they’ve done a way better job casting these characters without straying too far from the source material, like Preacher did. I mean these portrayals aren’t 100%. They aren’t just caricatures like their comic book counterparts .

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Anybody watched The Boys yet? First episode is a pretty damn good satire about the superhero industry, and the corporate overlords that run it. I remember that being the premise of the books, but with the current billion dollar MCU franchise, this premise feels like it has more bite than it did a decade plus ago.

I dug the first episode and am catching the second one right now.

Anybody watching the Shangri-La miniseries about Rick Rubin on Showtime? Second ep was on just now and was pretty good, albeit pretty sad towards the end talking about all the artists he's known who died. They also brought up his passion for wrestling and even had a bit of voiceover from Cornette (remember, Rick was the Smoky Mountain money mark). 

Haha, yeah, they showed the mummy. They talked to Hunter and Steph for a minute on the episode too with Rick saying that writing to the audience's expectations in wrestling is a mistake. You can see Hunter sitting there agreeing while thinking "yeah if Vince and the investors weren't in my way". 

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

A friend of mine complained that it was as far away from the comics as the Preacher show was.

Found his full comment: 

The Amazon series The Boys, much like The Preacher series (also produced by Seth Rogen), seems like a willful misunderstanding of the source material. Either that, or like the writers just picked up the names of the characters and a couple key scenes and decided to try to poke at the MCU with a stick.

It’s real shitty, is what I’m saying.

There are folks out there who will say that taking a tv or movie adaptation in a different direction than the source doesn’t “ruin” it, and to a certain extent they’re right; I can still go read the books and enjoy them.

But on the other hand, now we never get to see those characters brought to life, instead having to settle for pale imitations and bad meta commentary. What’s the point of adapting from the source if you’re just gonna change everything anyway? Just do like the first season of Heroes and write your own damn characters.

I don't watch or read any of this shit so I haven't a clue

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

For those who have had experience with both, are there any serious differences between Dish and DirecTV, and which do you prefer? 

Didn't have Dish, but as for DirecTV, I hope you're ready for a shock when you see that first bill after year one of your contract. Also, you should find something to do to kill time when a bad storm hits cause that shit will be down for awhile.

I'm gonna guess your own experience is going to heavily depend on what you're looking for.

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well, we've had DirecTV forever but were thinking about Dish because they're giving a couple hundred bucks to new subscribers, and our main news channel is MIA. And yeah that shit likes to go away during anything beyond a stiff breeze.

I have U-Verse now (cable and internet bundle) and I'm without a NBC or Fox affiliate due to the goddamn Nexstar blackout. If I don't get those two channels back before football season, I'm dropping this shit pronto. I'll probably keep the internet for work related reasons, but this shit is getting ridiculous. 

It's CBS for us, which has the closest news station and a lot of other regularly watched programs. If anybody in the household followed conventional sports... phew.

Meanwhile, Sinclair's FOX, which has vanished before, is perfectly intact again. Go figure.

• Like 1

I have had DIsh since 2000 and it is decent. Cheaper than Direct and it takes a major storm hitting for my signal to go out. 

I am about  to drop Dish to save money. When I got it at first I was paying 80 a month. Now it is 120 a month. And there is only 3 shows that I can't get thru streaming that I watch.

I'm with Dish as well and have remained pretty satisfied. When they dropped El Rey last year, it happened to be just after Lucha Underground ended so it was near perfect timing and I dropped to the next channel package down because of that. The only other outage Just yesterday they dropped the regional Fox sports channels in contract disputes which is kinda annoying for watching the local MLB but nothing too major.

What are y'all paying?  My cable bill is $155 a month + $14.99 HBO NOW + $13.99 Netflix + $9.99 WWE Network + ~$9.00 NJPW World + $7.99 DC Universe.  

I really should think about cutting back I don't watch half this stuff. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

As of a couple months ago, basic cable is included in my rent, so I'm paying just for the upgrade to package with HBO/Showtime. It's like 25 a month.

I did the full year of DC Universe (+3 months) that was like $75

Eleven a month for the Criterion Channel. Hulu is included with my phone. Netflix I get basically in trade with family for my HBO Go login. WWE Network I won a pair of three month cards earlier this year, so that's paid up through September. I've let NJPW, AJPW and Stardom lapse of late due to making other purchases.

• Like 1

I pay $25 for Sling + $6 for Hulu + $13 for Netflix + $10 for WWE - so $64 a month, plus the extra $65 a month for internet. Thinking about getting Amazon Prime, but I'd do the one time $99 and wouldn't have the monthly payment. And I very likely will be adding Disney+ to this when it launches

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Euphoria was back to being awesome this week.  Man this show is so beautifully shot and Zendaya is incredible. 

Spoiler

That rave scene was amazing and the cover of I'm Not In Love was perfect for it. 

• Like 1

We share our YTTV subscription with my mom, so that winds up being $25 for each of us. And then on top of that we have Netflix ($15), Hulu ($6), Amazon Prime (NA since we more than make the money back on shipping fees savings), HBO ($15), WWE Network ($10), and NJPW World (Approx. $9). And my internet bill with Comcast is $50 a month for 150 Mbps down and that also includes Starz, which we rarely use. So $130 a month for services we can use on any TV, any phone, or any tablet when to do the same with Comcast we'd be paying way more than that and would be stuck using dumb ass boxes that we'd have to rent for each TV.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What are y'all paying?  My cable bill is $155 a month + $14.99 HBO NOW + $13.99 Netflix + $9.99 WWE Network + ~$9.00 NJPW World + $7.99 DC Universe.  

I really should think about cutting back I don't watch half this stuff. 

God damn.  That's why I went with Internet only (like $85) and Sling, Netflix, HBO Now, etc.  Even being nickeled and dimed like that, it's still cheaper than my old cable plus Internet bill.  Actually, I just saved $10 by making a small change to my mobile billing so T-Mobile pays my Netflix now.

• Like 1

Finished watching the final season of Orange is the New Black. I actually thought it was pretty good until it started spinning it's wheels for the last 3 or 4 episodes. Piper was actually learning from her mistakes and it wasn't so frustrating to watch. And then I had this thought for how it would end. To me, it was the absolute worst way they could end the series and I just got this feeling they were going to fuck it up.

Sure enough, the last shot of the series made me say "fuck this" and regret ever watching any of it. They showed Piper going so far to learn to avoid her self-destructive ways and they present the character in the show as learning from all of this...only to just do the same old dumb bullshit again. 

At least the stuff with Taystee was good.

I moved into a new house last year so I was able to get a deal with Spectrum, $162 a month for internet and cable that includes a DVR, all of the basic channels, expanded sports tier, HBO, Showtime, Starz, HDNET Movies and use of the app so I can stream on my iPad in the bedroom and kitchen. I also have the Netflix premium at $15.99 and Prime which I pay the yearly fee, I have those set-up so my parents have access to them too and I order tons of stuff off Prime. Once my deal is up in November I'll fight to keep most of it or switch to AT&T U-Verse which is around the same price sans either Showtime or Starz. The cable box for Spectrum is garbage so I stream using their Apple TV app most of the time, supposedly they're going to offer a plan just using the app in place of a box, my internet speed is awesome though!