DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

In release dates for non-Stranger Things shows that I think people watch (Stranger Things is July 4 FYI)

Snowfall - July 10

Suits - July 17

Person - July 17 (if you are watching Suits you will probably give this a try)

Orange is the New Black - July 26

Veronica Mars - July 26 (this is the Hulu reboot/continuation whatever you want to call it)

• Thanks 1

Been watching American Gods season two. It's lost a lot of momentum from season one, but hopefully they've steadied the ship now and can get back into the swing of things. Feels like s2 is more or less a "We fucked up and took a year off for no reason, so let's just follow from where we're up to and not do anything risky or audacious, and hope the fans stick". Which is fine, but audacity was a big part of the appeal, and the last thing you want is to be pedestrian after that. Still, fingers crossed for season 3.

Preacher season 3 was great though. Is the fourth really going to be the final? I thought AMC was the network where shows go on forever. Or at least The Walking Dead does. Looking at the comics, there's another two or three year's worth of material there. In Preacher, I mean. Walking Dead, my reading is behind my watching so I don't know if the future storylines are innately boring, or if the show will just make them boring when they get to them. 

24 minutes ago, AxB said:

Which is fine, but audacity was a big part of the appeal, and the last thing you want is to be pedestrian after that. 

It's sad that we live in a word where a zombie woman kicking a dude in the balls so hard he splits in half is considered "audacious." 

I posted the Neil Gaiman "Sandman" to Netflix as a TV series news in the Comics Section, but I wanted to discuss it here too since it'll get more traction.

Not sure if it works as a live-adaptation, but at least they did the right thing by making it a television series.  Excited.

Edited by _MJ_

Last May, it was reported that The CW had ordered re-shoots on Catherine Hardwicke’s The Lost Boys pilot, and now Deadline brings word that the network has ultimately decided to recast all of the first pilot’s cast members with the exception of two actors, Medalion Rahimi (Before I Fall) and Dakota Shapiro (Valley of the Boom), who are still set to star in the upcoming series adaptation. Based on Joel Schumacher ‘s 1987 horror comedy of the same name, the new pilot will start filming by the end of the year.

The original pilot starred Tyler Posey (Teen Wolf), Rio Mangini (Everything Sucks!), Cheyenne Haynes (Camping), Haley Tju (Bella and the Bulldogs), Kiele Sanchez (Kingdom), Sarah Hay (Flesh and Bones) and Del Zamora (Mayans MC).

That's probably not a good sign

It sounds like the script is really strong, but they didn't feel like those actors were right.  I'm trying to remember which other series it was that this happened to that went on to become a massive success.

14 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

I posted the Neil Gaiman "Sandman" to Netflix as a TV series news in the Comics Section, but I wanted to discuss it here too since it'll get more traction.

Not sure if it's book works as a live-adaptation, but at least they did the right thing by making it a television series.  Excited.

I just really can't see it working or getting any kind of audience to justify the expense being reported.

I'll be interested to see the approach they take, doubt it's going to be a straight up adaptation. That reminds me, I still need to read Overture

I was going to post this in the other thread, but I wonder if there’s a list of all the various people who have been “fantasy cast” as Dream and Death,  probably starting with Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder. 

Forgot to mention, saw the first ep of The Loudest Voice after City on a Hill Sunday. If you want to see Russell Crowe play a creep and a blowhard and learn a little more about why this country is so fucked up, here you go (he was a better heel in Romper Stomper but that's neither here nor there). 

Enough of this Sandman pondering. Who cares when there is Gene Gene The Dancing Machine on the youtubes to remind us how great tV can be?

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

The Loudest Voice looks interesting, but I'd rather just watch Succession and see characters tell each other to fuck off about 10 times an episode.

Speaking of, HBO Now had a sneak peek of Succession season 2 up, but they took it down yesterday and it's not available on YouTube. I'm changing my prediction: I don't think Kendall winds up killing Logan.

I am sticking with my other prediction though, that the rest of the family is doomed and Cousin Greg winds up in some sort of control by the time the series is over and then the cruise ship assault shit comes back and dooms him too.

40 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was going to post this in the other thread, but I wonder if there’s a list of all the various people who have been “fantasy cast” as Dream and Death,  probably starting with Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder. 

While going with an unknown may be wise, if Netflix really is putting a ton of money behind it, a bigger name might get attached to play Dream/Morpheus for their adaptation.

Adam Driver/Tom Hiddleston types?

65477999_10156705822114751_7341071699913

This tribute to Alien (1978) made up of puppets, predominately ones from the UK made me laugh.

Left to right we've Sooty, Sweep, Kermit, Gordon the Gopher, Ed/Edd the Duck and Zippy playing John Hurt.

Edited by The Natural

6 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I just really can't see it working or getting any kind of audience to justify the expense being reported.

I'll be interested to see the approach they take, doubt it's going to be a straight up adaptation. That reminds me, I still need to read Overture

It can't be a straight up adaptation what with all the DCU characters that tend to pop-up {though getting Mister Miracle in ther ewould be sweet)

James

and its not just that. Lyta was an established DCU character (as was Hector), Destiny got retconned into The Endless despite being involved with the JLA before (ditto for Dr. Destiny and that appearance of Scarecrow in Arkham).

James

5 minutes ago, J.H. said:

and its not just that. Lyta was an established DCU character (as was Hector), Destiny got retconned into The Endless despite being involved with the JLA before (ditto for Dr. Destiny and that appearance of Scarecrow in Arkham).

James

The whole first arc is full of DCU people, notably Cain & Abel. Most people don’t remember Lucien was a horror anthology host (as was Eve). Destiny’s first appearance was in a 70s Superman story. 

That at least was less of a problem when the Vertigo wall was put up. Then you could have anyone from the book meet Constantine or Alec or Abby if need be (given Matt Cable’s connection to them). 

Was anyone from the Sandman cast in that Vertigo team-Up book? I don’t think I’ve read it since it came out. 

Edited by odessasteps