DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Just watched Clockers all the way through for the first time this morning. Great movie, one of Spike's finest, and an interesting precursor to The Wire. Just one thing, concerning the end...

Spoiler

Who's to say that Delroy Lindo doesn't come up and kill Strike's brother in his stead after he gets out of jail? Spike shoots it like a feel-good conclusion with the whole family except Strike greeting him at the jail gates, but that drug dealer that just had his enforcer killed by proxy who is crazy enough to destroy the person responsible's car with a sledgehammer, then spray paint it and piss in it right outside the cop shop is still out there and he's armed and dangerous. If I was Victor I'd be headed straight for Penn Station too, family in tow.

I caught Hobbs & Shaw and it was fucking amazing and so much more than I expected. The stars chemistry is a thing of beautiful. Also

Ryan Reynolds should replace Scott Eastwood in all future F&F movies. Also pretty sure they set-up FF9. I wonder who they will get to embody "The Voice".

Kinda surprised how much I'm looking forward to Hobbs & Shaw.  Not really a fan of the franchise, but the last two movies have been a lot of fun.  5&6 had their moments thanks to the over-the-top stunts.

Vin Diesel is easily the worst thing about this franchise post-Tokyo Drift.  Even worse than Tyrese. 

4 hours ago, driver said:

I caught Hobbs & Shaw and it was fucking amazing and so much more than I expected. The stars chemistry is a thing of beautiful. Also

Hide contents

Ryan Reynolds should replace Scott Eastwood in all future F&F movies. Also pretty sure they set-up FF9. I wonder who they will get to embody "The Voice".

I figure in regard to the Voice

The return of Cypher, I remember her escaping last F&F

Maybe but

The Voice mentioned Hobbs from a past encounter but made no mention of Shaw, which would be odd since he was with the group during that time. I guess one odd ball choice would be making it Eastwood, but The Voice seems to have a personality, which might be a stretch for Little Nobody.

Best thing I can say is that EVERYBODY seemed to be having fun and enjoying the hell out of themselves.

15 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

One Upon A Time In Hollywood is amazing. Go watch it. 

I still need to go a second time, but I would prob put in the second tier of QT movies. 

I remain conflicted over the ending. 

And there was an article on Bloody Disgusting about how there may be a four hour version show up on Netflix, like the extended version of The Hateful Eight that was cut into four episodes.

• Like 2

Wow, the final fight in Shaolin Prince with the dude on the chariot is crazy. It's like a video game final boss with how the chariot's defenses keep changing and increasing and becoming more dangerous. 

If there's one thing I'm gonna miss switching to Dish it's gonna be Sundays on El Rey. Executioners from Shaolin is on right now and I'll be damned if I'm switching the channel. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wow, the final fight in Shaolin Prince with the dude on the chariot is crazy. It's like a video game final boss with how the chariot's defenses keep changing and increasing and becoming more dangerous. 

If there's one thing I'm gonna miss switching to Dish it's gonna be Sundays on El Rey. Executioners from Shaolin is on right now and I'll be damned if I'm switching the channel. 

Yeah, I watched Shaolin Mantis this afternoon before passing out in prep for night duty.

FiOS put El Rey on a higher priced bundle, so one of the positive side effects of my break-up with the ex-wifey is me spending more weekend in the 804 either at my mom's or at the side crib I share with another homie.  We all have xFinity and El Rey is still on the standard digital package.

Edited by J.T.

Ooof, sorry to hear about that. Getting to see Shaolin Mantis and the like is cold comfort, but I guess you gotta look at any kind of positives under the circumstances.

Speaking of crazy endings to movies I just watched the end of Rambo again. Fuck, what a gorefest. Can't wait for the next one! 

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2019 at 8:27 AM, odessasteps said:

After scanning the credits on IMDb, I learned that Joanna Pettet was actually in the movie somewhere. And played by Rumer Willis. 

There were a few other second generation actresses amongst the Family:

• Margaret Qualley - Andie McDowell's daughter
  • Maya Hawke - Ethan Hawke & Uma Thurman's daughter
  • Harley Quinn Smith - Kevin Smith's daughter

On 7/29/2019 at 8:27 AM, odessasteps said:

After scanning the credits on IMDb, I learned that Joanna Pettet was actually in the movie somewhere. And played by Rumer Willis. 

Dupe: Pls delete.

Edited by Ace

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ooof, sorry to hear about that. Getting to see Shaolin Mantis and the like is cold comfort, but I guess you gotta look at any kind of positives under the circumstances.

I am a silver linings kind of dude.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Naming your kid after a Batman character is +1000 fanboy points. I bet if he had a son it would've been Harvey Dent Smith or something equally absurd.

I wonder if they would still name her that, knowing how the character has "evolved". 

Have they done something particularly sweeping with it? I didn't watch Suicide Squad and don't follow the comics; Harley Quinn to me is still the Animated Series one, head over heels in crush with "Mistah J." (Honestly, it's a nice name for a woman IMO, and her choice to emphasize the "Quinn" in the first place. If she didn't like the connection she could always just go as Harley Smith.)

Edited by Curt McGirt

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Have they done something particularly sweeping with it?

Over the past 5-10 years the character become more sexualized, violent, and insane in the comics for seemingly no decent reason. Honestly, its disappointing, but nothing that should make people want to disassociate with the character a super amount.

• Like 1

Hobbs & Shaw is hand's down my favorite F&F movie, and categorically the best.

On 8/2/2019 at 4:09 PM, driver said:

Best thing I can say is that EVERYBODY seemed to be having fun and enjoying the hell out of themselves.

This was so obviously true as things got zanier and more ridiculous. Everybody sold it so well; I would have been perfectly fine if they somehow went to space, chasing after the main baddy. The cameos just pushed the movie over the top.

I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of the quips were ad-libs. I don't think I'll ever watch another F&F main movie again.

Spoiler

I hope there's a possibility that Brixton survived. Elba was such a fantastic badass even with 2 other scene chewing badasses around.

I hope they bring him back and have him stay heel but be after the Voice for revenge.

Edited by turk128

FWIW, when Kevin hosted something or another for DC, they gave him Harley's bat from the Suicide Squad movie, and he gave it to his daughter, and she broke down crying tears of joy over it, so I think they're probably still good with her name.

• Like 1