DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, is nearly perfect,and will go down as one of QT's masterpieces

Spoiler

The last 30 minutes or so, from the time Cliff Booth visits Spahn Ranch, go from tense to absolutely bonkers with the unexpected twist on the actual story. The audience in the theater I was in erupted into cheers and laughter when the dog attacked Tex Watson. And let's not forget the best use of a flamethrower in any movie in recent history! 

• Like 2

Saw it this morning as well. When they showed the dog food cans and the flavors the crowd had a fucking fit laughing. Amazing ass movie.

Also the biggest gasp was when...

Pussy Cat's arm pit hair showed.

Heh.

Edited by driver
  • Haha 1

Just got back from it. Really, really fun. Our local paper gave it 2 1/2 stars for the finale, which yeah it's excessive but it's fucking Tarantino you fool, what do you expect? I need to know who played Patricia Krenwinkle (I think? The redhead at the end) because she isn't listed in iMDB for some reason and goddamn does she facially look just like a horrible former friend of mine. It's creepy and is going to give her ex a heart attack. And holy shit, the makeup on dude that played Steve McQueen!!! I didn't recognize the makeup artists on iMDB so whoever Q got for this one is to look out for in the future. Also...

Spoiler

the Family is still out there, and if they managed to get past that residence's defenses in real life... thus the creepy music at the pan out, I believe. He wants you to worry about the future. Then again I fully expect the cops to raid the fuck out of Spahn after THAT happened, so the point may be mute. 

A couple Easter eggs I caught: 

Spoiler

1. Mama Cass from the Mamas and the Papas at the pool party and

2. DiCaprio making margaritas just like Budd in Kill Bill Vol. 2, down to the same ice tray and the jelly jar. I'm surprised he didn't call Madsen 'Budd' in the movie, too. 

One more thing

Spoiler

the foot fetishism in this one is at absolute overdose levels. Seriously, dude, give it a break. The funny thing is right before I left for the movie From Dusk Til Dawn was on with Q himself lusting over Juliette Lewis' bare feet so it was like "well, you were warned". 

Was totally not expecting the ending. I had booked 2 or 3 alternate possible endings in my head. 

I should hate the inserting of actors into older  footage but it made sense to do here.i was hoping to see Robbie in the Fearless Vampire Killers.

I popped for the commercial.

I don’t know who stole the movie more: Zoe Ball or that little girl. Best kid actor (not actress) since Lady Mormont on GOT. 

I was expecting a Mrs Bates moment at the Ranch. 

So many cameos and such. 

No nudity at the Playboy Mansion? 

Edited by odessasteps

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

One more thing

Hide contents

the foot fetishism in this one is at absolute overdose levels. Seriously, dude, give it a break. The funny thing is right before I left for the movie From Dusk Til Dawn was on with Q himself lusting over Juliette Lewis' bare feet so it was like "well, you were warned". 

I assumed that was self parody.

I thought I'd make it through Toy Story 4 dry eyed. Instead it hit me 3 times in 10 minutes.

Spoiler
  • When the lost girl meets Gabby
  • When Woody gives his Sheriff star to Jessie.
  • "To infinity.." "..and beyond."

And KEANU was DUKE CABOOM?!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I assumed that was self parody.

Spoiler

In that case I presume you could consider the violence of the finale self parody. Or are both just examples of him indulging his most familiar tendencies to the utmost? Maybe both? This is a particularly self-reflective film, after all. 

Overall there's a lot to unpack with this one, which is a very good thing. 

The girl was great ("How old are you? 12?" "Eight" haha) but Zoe coming out of nowhere was even better. She really deserves more roles. Nice irony in her being a stuntperson and ending up excoriating the stuntperson. 

46 minutes ago, Ace said:

I thought I'd make it through Toy Story 4 dry eyed. Instead it hit me 3 times in 10 minutes.

Hide contents
  • When the lost girl meets Gabby
  • When Woody gives his Sheriff star to Jessie.
  • "To infinity.." "..and beyond."

And KEANU was DUKE CABOOM?!

I was in your shoes for all 4 things you mentioned. Toy Story 4 hits really hard.

10 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

It doesn't come out here in the UK for another 2 weeks+ ?. I shall avoid youtube like the plague.

Hey another UK member! 

Be careful on social media as well and comment sections on articles. 

This board is the best I've come across for a number of things and that goes for spoiler warnings as well.

I'll co-sign that Once Upon a Time In Hollywood will go down as one of QT's masterpieces.

Spoiler

The Spahn Ranch sequence is amazing but DiCaprio knocks it out of the park from when he starts to learn his lines for the Lancer pilot until he leaves the set, I can't see any other actor being able to pull that off. Lancer was a real show and there's a bunch of episodes on YouTube!

I love that QT left it open ended when it came to the careers of Rick Dalton, Sharon Tate and Cliff Booth after that night. 

Spoiler
4 hours ago, happjack said:

I love that QT left it open ended when it came to the careers of Rick Dalton, Sharon Tate and Cliff Booth after that night. 

I'd like to think Rick had a nice long career as a beloved character actor and maybe even a late-career wrapup directing in the vein of Eastwood. Unless cocaine and the drink eat him alive in the '70s. 

Cliff clearly writes a really badass autobiography, somehow overcomes his blacklisting (probably due to the new legend that comes with him overcoming the Family attack), and rides off into the sunset. 

Sharon becomes the It Girl of the country. And she keeps Polanski from going nuts and turning into a crazy pervert (or at least from indulging that side of him) and we get some really, REALLY good movies out of it. 

My friend had recently read the new (?) book on the Manson case and apparently, there was some freaky stuff going on at the Polanski/Tate mansion. A lot of the stuff in that book, as he described it, sounds like wacky job conspiracy nonsense, but it is apparently backed up by lots of records and a handful of people willing to discuss what went out at the time. 

Oh, that was another thing that surprised me about the movie. 

how little of Roman and Charlie there was in the movie. Squeaky Fromme probably gets more time and lines than both of them put together.

Per Rick's later movie career:

The meeting of Sharon and Rick led to Sharon suggesting Rick for a role as a private eye in a movie Roman was going to direct and from there the Rickaissance was born and he worked steadily through the 70's and in the early 80's he landed the lead on Hardcastle & McCormick. After that show ended he landed a recurring role on Murder, She Wrote as the sheriff of Cabot Cove.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, driver said:

Per Rick's later movie career:

Hide contents

The meeting of Sharon and Rick led to Sharon suggesting Rick for a role as a private eye in a movie Roman was going to direct and from there the Rickaissance was born and he worked steadily through the 70's and in the early 80's he landed the lead on Hardcastle & McCormick. After that show ended he landed a recurring role on Murder, She Wrote as the sheriff of Cabot Cove.

Spoiler

Chinatown was written with Nicholson in mind so I'm not sure Rick Dalton gets the part. In the 70's I can see Dalton being the lead in his own films but also doing the George Kennedy type roles in movies like Thunderbolt & Lightfoot and ensemble disaster flicks. In the 80's I can see him as a mainstay in mini-series like North & South and The Winds of War along with a few short lived series kind of like the ones Robert Conrad did. In the 90's/2000's he has a renaissance thanks to directors like Tarantino and the Coen Brothers who were fans of his work when they were young, he's totally Max Cherry in Jackie Brown and the Barry Corbin character in No Country for Old Men.

• Like 2

Baron Corbin stole his name from No Country for Old Men? Wade Barrett stole his name from Roadhouse, so he still wins. Anyway,

I decided to scroll down to the bottom of the TiVo box (98% full) and watch whatever the last thing on there was. It was 10 Cloverfield Lane. As soon as I saw the Bad Robot productions logo, I knew it would have an inconclusive ending, and it did. Apparently there is a third Cloverfield movie on Netflix but it's not a direct sequel to either of the first two. It's a good film, well acted by good actors, but that title is a real spoiler for what I think is supposed to be a surprise ending. Kind of feels like two separate movies glued together, or like they had a pretty good 'kidnapped by a Doomsday prepper' script that had the Truman Show "Fuck You, Audience" ending, so they jammed the Cloverfield scenario in there for ten minutes to leave them wanting more as a less worse option.

Usually Mary Elizabeth Winstead has long dark hair when she's not playing Ramona Flowers but in this movie she had Ramona's Bob but in her natural dark brown. It suits her. She really carries the whole movie herself, although John Goodman is fantastic as usual. All in all, JJ Abrams is a fuckboy but he doesn't ruin everything immediately. He ruins thing eventually, if they get that far.

10 hours ago, happjack said:
  Hide contents

Chinatown was written with Nicholson in mind so I'm not sure Rick Dalton gets the part. In the 70's I can see Dalton being the lead in his own films but also doing the George Kennedy type roles in movies like Thunderbolt & Lightfoot and ensemble disaster flicks. In the 80's I can see him as a mainstay in mini-series like North & South and The Winds of War along with a few short lived series kind of like the ones Robert Conrad did. In the 90's/2000's he has a renaissance thanks to directors like Tarantino and the Coen Brothers who were fans of his work when they were young, he's totally Max Cherry in Jackie Brown and the Barry Corbin character in No Country for Old Men.

Works for me.

Stu Bennett claims his WWE name was inspired by two rugby players. But it's clearly Wade Garrett from Roadhouse with as small a change as possible. The way the character is introduced "I called you because I need the best" "Wade Garrett is the best", who wouldn't take that name?