DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

3 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Vin owes Rocky a big thank you for breathing fresh life into his franchise. Four was a big jump from Tokyo Drift, but the top four box office returns for the franchise are the flicks Rock is in. 

I think Rock is still waiting for that thank you. 

Yeah, were it not for that we'd be up to the 9th or 10th Riddick movie.

The Rock deserves credit for breathing some new life into the series.  Nonetheless,  he was barely a part of Furious 7 and it went on the make $1.5 billion.   I'm going to guess Fast 9 has no issue clearing one billion at the box office with or without The Rock. 

It's weird that you guys are talking about this meanwhile I was creamed when I was watching an August '96 Nitro and they name-checked Andy Sidaris like he was a famous action movie director that everyone at home would be impressed with (because Bagwell was in Day of the Warrior and The American Males were jobbing to Harlem Heat).

Also I feel like I've now spent more time watching Blood runs cold promos than Glacier spent wrestling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The Rock deserves credit for breathing some new life into the series.  Nonetheless,  he was barely a part of Furious 7 and it went on the make $1.5 billion.   I'm going to guess Fast 9 has no issue clearing one billion at the box office with or without The Rock. 

He should thank Rock for giving him a boost climbing that fence. Or handing off the baton. Choose your preferred analogy. 

Vin Diesel outside the Fast movies is as much of a draw as Chris Hemsworth without lightning and hammers — which is to say, not much of one. 

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Attitude Era is lingerie matches,  dog kennels,  monster trucks and chopping off penises and birthing hands.   I don't think flipping someone off or calling someone a son of bitch is "Attitude Era"  necessarily.  That is generally how someone would talk to someone they dislike.  I'm all for the promos sounding more natural.  

If the wrestlers are allowed freedom and to express their personalities more naturally that is great. It is one of the things I really enjoy in so many indy promotions. Do I trust that company to allow that kind of freedom? Not at all, but it would absolutely be a good idea. I guess my reaction was knee jerk, but I hear moving away from PG and I get some Attitude Era flashbacks pretty fast.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Y'all are talking about movie bs and 2 full Great American Bash 1986 shows are being uploaded on the Network today. I expect better here...

Well I'm sorry I didn't know that but now that you have brought it to my attention...  I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the holiday.  ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, piranesi said:

It's weird that you guys are talking about this meanwhile I was creamed when I was watching an August '96 Nitro and they name-checked Andy Sidaris like he was a famous action movie director that everyone at home would be impressed with (because Bagwell was in Day of the Warrior and The American Males were jobbing to Harlem Heat).

Also I feel like I've now spent more time watching Blood runs cold promos than Glacier spent wrestling.

Day of the Warrior is your favorite film, god dammit. Buff Bagwell, Native American. Didn't he kill someone with a piledriver or something in that thing.

tumblr_inline_p8dzl9NTOT1qfahbo_500.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Well I'm sorry I didn't know that but now that you have brought it to my attention...  I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the holiday.  ?

Happy 4th of July!

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

Y'all are talking about movie bs and 2 full Great American Bash 1986 shows are being uploaded on the Network today. I expect better here...

Thread derailing is a blast, you should try it! Join us on the Dark Side of the Farce! ?

I'm actually tempted to sign up for the Network again, just to watch those two shows and then tell 'em to fuck off.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

I'm actually tempted to sign up for the Network again, just to watch those two shows and then tell 'em to fuck off.

Thinking the same when I've got some time off in a couple of weeks. They gave me three months for 99p a year or two ago, but haven't tried to entice me back since ?

I've heard there are ways of stealing. You may have to invade their vaults with a highly un-skilled team of trained chimps each with their own set of skills in espionage that don't work.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

He should thank Rock for giving him a boost climbing that fence. Or handing off the baton. Choose your preferred analogy. 

Vin Diesel outside the Fast movies is as much of a draw as Chris Hemsworth without lightning and hammers — which is to say, not much of one. 

If anything, the Miz owes the Rock a thank you for leaving an opening in the Marine movies, because Rocky was well on his way to a career of straight-to-DVD B-movies before being cast in Fast Five. None of his movies were lighting up the box office. He owes that franchise as much as they owe him.

38 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

If anything, the Miz owes the Rock a thank you for leaving an opening in the Marine movies, because Rocky was well on his way to a career of straight-to-DVD B-movies before being cast in Fast Five. None of his movies were lighting up the box office. He owes that franchise as much as they owe him.

I know this is chicken and the egg, but I maintain that Rock's return to WWE before the opening of Fast Five reconnected him to that audience and lifted up that flick and his movie career.

Random things from Meltzer's write up of the Heyman/Bischoff stuff

Vince McMahon and Ed Koskey were the ones running the production meeting, although it was clear the Strowman/Lashley segment, the Mike & Maria Kanellis segment were clearly Heyman ideas, which has been confirmed. Heyman is also known to be a strong advocate of Ricochet, who got his second television main event in a row with Styles, Aleister Black, Lacey Evans and many others, and one of his first moves was to bring in the Street Profits.

----------------

The combination of declining indicators, and no matter what is said publicly, privately Vince McMahon isn’t fooled by fake stats and understands there are problems, Wall Street starting to figure it out, and the competition, most notably the All Out ticket sale demand in Chicago, have led to the moves. Another reason is the acknowledgment that at this stage of the game, and it will get worse in a few months when the XFL goes, Vince McMahon simply can’t carry the workload and oversee everything himself. He’s already given up control in different departments, one of which led to embarrassment this past week

---------------------

The lack of communication internally was shown almost immediately, as the promotions department after the announcement of Heyman and Bischoff, sent out advertising for the 7/1 Raw in Dallas and 7/2 Smackdown in San Antonio, built around Heyman and Bischoff as the stars of the respective shows and the big draw is how will they change the shows.

For one, the idea, for both, was not to be television authority figures. Heyman will remain an on-air character, as the voice of Brock Lesnar. He immediately said his belief is the authority figure role is played out, and has been for some time. While Shane McMahon is in a major program, his role on the show was limited to his program and he didn’t use any authority powers.

When it comes to Bischoff, nobody knows his ideas, mainly because he’s probably just coming to grips with them. While advertised in an ad that got out because McMahon doesn’t oversee that department (he did get it removed very quickly when alerted to the issue) and those who do weren’t aware these roles weren’t supposed to be new authority figures, Bischoff was never scheduled to come to San Antonio. While there were reports he would be asked because the advertising was out, he was not even in San Antonio.

----------------------------

Heyman and Bischoff will never have full control, because creative is one division Vince will never give up on. It’s will always be Vince’s company, but both will have enough input to either sink or swim. Part of this deal was also to lock both up, with the idea that both could provide help for AEW. AEW already has its creative team. Tony Khan is a student of the wrestling business, but was a big ECW fan and while wild hardcore ECW-inspired matches are not expected to be part of their television product, they are expected, at least on occasion, to be part of the PPVs. Being a student of the business, I can’t imagine he’d have hired Bischoff, but stranger things have happened.

The most interesting aspect is that Bischoff was chosen for FOX, which has both major advantages and disadvantages, and those Paul Levesque wasn’t chosen. As far as why, that would be speculation, but FOX being a success is far more important in 2020 than NXT. Unlike Bischoff, Levesque has followed the modern scene, has put together far better shows on a regular basis than Bischoff ever did, knows the modern fans and the modern talent. One person involved with this noted that Bischoff has even less modern product knowledge than feared, but that doesn’t mean he won’t adapt, learn or be successful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And this is specific to (mostly) what happened on RAW

As far as other key questions coming off the apparent changes:

*Neither Bobby Lashley nor Braun Strowman are injured. On television, they are playing it up that Lashley is basically fine and did an interview the next night. In storyline, Strowman suffered a “possible ruptured sternum.” This was all about opening the show with explosions and making younger viewers think wrestling is cool. If Strowman has to be kept out a few weeks for this storyline to play out, so be it.

*Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows have either agreed to, or actually signed their five-year contracts. Company sources say they are there long-term. But unlike with The Revival where the push with Shane McMahon and the tag belts are an attempt to keep them from going to AEW next year, Anderson & Gallows have reportedly made their decision, and are to be focused on in he new Club group with Styles. This, and the Styles turn, were said to be written out before Heyman was given power.

*The Street Profits coming up were a Heyman move. A new booker always wants to introduce new talent, and again, Heyman clearly wants new talent that he believes will appeal to younger fans. Ricochet also falls into this category and his beating Styles first week in was a way for him to be elevated past the 50/50 mid-card. They debuted, holding the NXT tag titles. From a technical standpoint, this was Heyman asking for them for television, but they are still considered not on Raw, but as NXT talent and will continue to work NXT house shows while doing TV on Mondays.

*The Maria Kanellis pregnancy is a shoot. According to those close to the situation, she just found out about it and they immediately put together the angle with Seth Rollins & Becky Lynch that took place. It is true that when Mike & Maria just recently signed new five-year deals, the office wasn’t aware of the pregnancy, but they didn’t know until after signing the deal either.

• Like 1

When it comes to Bischoff, nobody knows his ideas, mainly because he doesn't have any.

There ya go, the condensed version. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

"Student of the business" is a really amusing way to blow smoke up someone's butt for being a lifelong Observer subscriber.

No shit. That makes most of this board students of the business. Bonus if you contributed to any fantasy wrestling promotions.