DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

Why do I get the feeling that it's a DC or Marvel project?

ETA:  I just realized what a missed opportunity there is, not having had a Captain America film where John Cena played Super Patriot/USAgent, in that arc where Cap was replaced.  Could be reworked with Falcon America in a future film, but ... still ...

Edited by nate
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, nate said:

ETA:  I just realized what a missed opportunity there is, not having had a Captain America film where John Cena played Super Patriot/USAgent, in that arc where Cap was replaced.  Could be reworked with Falcon America in a future film, but ... still ...

Cena would be the perfect USAgent...a big musclebound crazy guy cosplaying Captain America. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nate said:

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

Cena would be the perfect USAgent...a big musclebound crazy guy cosplaying Captain America. 

It's presumably for Fast and Furious 9.

• Sad 1

By Mike Johnson on 2019-07-03 13:53:00
A scheduled Raw taping in Glasgow, Scotland on Monday 11/11 has been canceled, with the event being converted into a live event that evening instead.  The current plan is to tape Raw for 11/11 on Friday 11/8 in Manchester, England .  That event was already a TV taping for that evening's Smackdown Live broadcast , which would air live in Europe and air several hours later in the United States.  WWE will now also tape Raw that evening in Manchester, with bell time changing to 6 PM local time.

WWE has also canceled the 11/5 Nottingham, 11/6 Birmingham, 11/8 tour date in London at the SSE Arena. and 11/9 event in Minehead, England, so it may be that the next Saudi Arabia event will be that week. 

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

They're not moving out of the PG era.

More swearing throughout the program, middle fingers, wrestlers threatening death, the Maria angle... The WWE are going pretty borderline with this stuff.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Casey said:

Well shit, if Dave Meltzer says it...

Meltzer and Alvarez also spent Monday and/or Tuesday night saying this doesn't mean the show wouldn't be PG anymore. I believe this came up during one of the WOL radio shows too.

It can still be rated PG but have edgy components to the show. Pretty sure that's what he means when he says they're trying to leave that era behind them. As in, dull and sensitized and obviously scripted.

And on the post-SD WOL - since you mentioned it - Dave said they're going to focus on "younger talent" and have edgier content in an effort to win back the teen demographic (which a lot of people inside WWE, and outside, think is going to be lost to AEW when they start TV in the fall). Heyman is high on Ricochet, and wants to push him a lot harder, also in response to AEW having things like the Lucha Bros, Kip Sabian, Jungle Boy, Guevera, etc. It's also why a "hip" tag team like Street Profits were on RAW unexpectedly (and probably a response to Private Party, if we're being honest).

They've had the ability to swear on the USA Network for the past year or so, since cable TV isn't held to the FCC's guidelines. Cable TV mainly adheres to their sponsors, which is why WWE is TVPG. But if they go overboard with the cursing, USA could decide to label RAW or Smackdown (for the time being) as TV14 or TVMA, so the sponsors are aware that mature language is being used and whatnot.

Basically, WWE can do whatever they want, language and content wise, because NBCUniversal dictated last year that their cable programs could have harsher language and stuff, but they run the risk of their TV rating being changed, and I'm sure WWE doesn't want to give up sponsors like Mars and Coca-Cola.

4 hours ago, quackhell said:

If a new Attitude Era is being ushered in I will be even happier with my decision to stop watching the main roster shows and PPVS. Hard pass on that.

Attitude Era is lingerie matches,  dog kennels,  monster trucks and chopping off penises and birthing hands.   I don't think flipping someone off or calling someone a son of bitch is "Attitude Era"  necessarily.  That is generally how someone would talk to someone they dislike.  I'm all for the promos sounding more natural.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You guys laugh but Vin Diesel really is the draw for the Fast movies.  That and the ridiculous stunts. 

Vin owes Rocky a big thank you for breathing fresh life into his franchise. Four was a big jump from Tokyo Drift, but the top four box office returns for the franchise are the flicks Rock is in. 

I think Rock is still waiting for that thank you. 

• Like 1