DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

Remember when she first joined WWE in 2004 and she was so good at playing a naive ditz that everyone thought that’s what she really was, to the point of infantilizing her?

Naive like a FOX.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Giving Mike and Maria the only actual TV time and angle they've had since signing like three years ago is an interesting "punishment."

Correct me if I’m wrong. They actually were on screen Smackdown characters for like a month 3 years ago. So this isn’t the first time they’ve had tv time, or an angle.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

Remember when she first joined WWE in 2004 and she was so good at playing a naive ditz that everyone thought that’s what she really was, to the point of infantilizing her?

Naive like a FOX.

Well, an infant that they put in Playboy ...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

One of  i'm more interesting stories on the Bischoff podcast is when he talked about the product testing they did before Nitro started  and how he learned that fans love to be surprised and how much that shaped what he did. 

That stuck with me for some reason, because it is true and it is also the thing that the current product is most lacking. I had half wondered if it was going to shape at all what he was going to do.

He brought up that story again this week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

That stuck with me for some reason, because it is true and it is also the thing that the current product is most lacking. I had half wondered if it was going to shape at all what he was going to do.

He brought up that story again this week.

Yeah, but the problem is the surprises start to feel less, and less special the more  you go to that well. Like weren’t we all surprised when Sting was attacked by a dog? The answer is yes. But did we want that? The answer is no. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yeah, but the problem is the surprises start to feel less, and less special the more  you go to that well. Like weren’t we all surprised when Sting was attacked by a dog? The answer is yes. But did we want that? The answer is no. 

I think I'd take that after the ten years we had?

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Really? You’d take that over Nexus, or the Punk promo?

And what else? I'd probably take the hit or miss of dogs attacking sting every week as opposed to two good moments over ten years?

Nexus and the Punk promo were surprises, and surprises are a powerful narrative tool—but obviously you need more than one for lots of different jobs. Too many nonsensical twists and fans don’t feel their attention is rewarded; too few and they don’t feel it’s necessary.

1 minute ago, Beech27 said:

Nexus and the Punk promo were surprises, and surprises are a powerful narrative tool—but obviously you need more than one for lots of different jobs. Too many nonsensical twists and fans don’t feel their attention is rewarded; too few and they don’t feel it’s necessary.

Exactly, and the WWE has been very guilty of that the past 20 years. But Mr. Bischoff’s stupid surprises ended up back firing for him worse.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 8:26 AM, Doc Townsend said:

It'd be humorous if Bischoff or Heyman push Roman Reigns down the card, but, realistically, that wouldn't be allowed to happen.

Roman is a Heyman guy, Honestly I think He would benefit more being on a Heyman booked show. Although I do see Bischoff viewing Reigns as a guy he'd have as his ace. The problem is I dont see Eric using him any better than Vince, unless Eric is smart enough to let Roman be himself and get out of his way. I don't alot of Smackdown Live roster fits more like prime Nitro era midcard workrate guys that he wouldn't push in that era. RAW has more top level guys with Size like Braun and Lashley and Drew. After Heymans first official night with Major influence I think expectations are high for Bischoff too. He has the advantage of sitting back a few weeks before he starts. If anything, Eric knows the format of the show needs to change that will solve about half the problem of Smackdown. The creative end , I dont thing Vince will have enough faith in him in that aspect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

And what else? I'd probably take the hit or miss of dogs attacking sting every week as opposed to two good moments over ten years?

That's one of my all-time favorite bad angle moments.  Sting is fighting off two dogs while the Steiners watch.  We cut to Scott bringing in a third dog even though he was STANDING THERE watching the dogs attack the whole time.  And you can tell the cameras are trying not to show him they pan away and go back, and Scott just doesn't care.

He’s right, though, about the surprises.  Part of the appeal of the NWO was every week you didn’t know who was going to debut, who was going to join the NWO and when someone was going to stand up to them.  

WWE tried to do it on occasion but you can tell Vince didn’t like the format as for as many legit surprises as WWE did they had just as many non-surprise surprises: Shawn announcing two new DX members only for it to be Chyna’s new fake boobs, Bret Hart’s return as a little person or the hype of Diesel and Razor coming back.  A lot of those had a real spiteful vibe to them as if to say “That’s what you get for expecting surprises all the time!”

• Like 2

On 7/1/2019 at 7:47 PM, christopher.annino said:

Cock Sparrer as well. Looking like a bunch of cabbies. 

I saw Cock Sparrer in Chicago a couple of years ago. They were amazing. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I hate it when people bring them up because I think it's going to trigger me hearing the songs from Shock Troops in my head for the next week

I've gone 31 years without listening to Cock Sparrer (mainly because I thought I didn't like Oi stuff) but just downloaded Shock Troops and am digging it quite a bit right now. 

• Like 3