DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

20 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Losing to Mox doesn't diminish Shingo or Naito and gives them a reason to want revenge, winning or losing for Mox or Yano means absolutely nothing in their match, so it doesn't really matter.

No, I don't think that anyone was hurt here. I don't think that Naito really needed it, to be honest Mox needed it more than Naito so I kinda self-defeated my point here. Anyway, it could have been huge win for Shingo and really elevated him. So in that sense I'd agree that maybe Shingo should have beaten him. Stuff about revenge is valid, but I doubt that Mox/Shingo II will actually happen. Mox/Naito II is more likely.

On the other hand it looks like they are protecting Mox for White. And White being the first to beat Mox might be bigger deal than Shingo beating Mox. And well White is much younger and their top guy. So I guess I'm really good at making a point and then later refuting it myself.

26 minutes ago, Ryan said:

He only gave you the pencil, not the book! You'll have to write on unsold photos of Captain New Japan they have stacked up in the office.

I'd like to think by now they would be stuck together like Post-it notes and currently being used by office employees to remind themselves they have to book travel arrangements for talent (i.e. Have someone send a car to Narita to pick up Jericho).

Not going to lie and I'm not sure if this is an overreaction, but Yano vs Moxley might be my favorite match of the year.

I was howling with laughter at points. It was everything I wanted and more.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Not going to lie and I'm not sure if this is an overreaction, but Yano vs Moxley might be my favorite match of the year.

The only thing we didn't get was Moxley making Yano eat some of that yen. It was glorious.

it looked like Mox was corpsing at the start, to me at least. I think he genuinely loved working with Yano and all his shenanigans. 

FuumMbU.png

ESiUuAe.png

Edited by Mr Harms
brother can't keep a straight face
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I didn't want to get my hopes up should it be a letdown...and I wasn't disappointed.

Edited by The Natural

Archer/Ibushi was fucking unreal and somehow bested Archer/Ospreay. Lance Archer is unquestionably the best big man and I need him challenging for the IWGP title. There were several things I couldn't believe in that match and they told a great story. Ibushi's reaction to Lance not going down to the first Kamigoye... wow. If you're skipping around this tournament, do yourself a favour and watch Archer/Ibushi from the 27th.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Archer/Ibushi was fucking unreal and somehow bested Archer/Ospreay. Lance Archer is unquestionably the best big man and I need him challenging for the IWGP title. There were several things I couldn't believe in that match and they told a great story. Ibushi's reaction to Lance not going down to the first Kamigoye... wow. If you're skipping around this tournament, do yourself a favour and watch Archer/Ibushi from the 27th.

Need to see both of those.

2 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

I'd stick the title on Moxley if he plans on sticking around.

Has anyone seen any details about what Mox's contract is? They're pushing him way too hard for him to just take off for good in a month. Didn't he sign with New Japan before he signed with AEW?

On 7/16/2019 at 8:04 AM, mattdangerously said:

I could see him losing the rematch to Juice, to set up another title match. I could see Yano scoring an upset over him, too.

One down, one to go.

2 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Has anyone seen any details about what Mox's contract is? They're pushing him way too hard for him to just take off for good in a month. Didn't he sign with New Japan before he signed with AEW?

I could've sworn back when Mox did his first NJPW match Meltz said that he had the NJPW contract first, then AEW.  It seems, like he's got 2 seperate contracts, where he's exclusive to NJPW in Japan and AEW in the US (hence why he couldn't appear on the Opening Night of the G1, because it wasn't on AEW TV).  If he's staying with NJPW past dropping the US Belt back to Juice, I'm guessing he just shows up the back half of Single PPV tours (gets a few Road To shows and the PPV in without potentially missing more than a week of AEW TV.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pete said:

The only thing we didn't get was Moxley making Yano eat some of that yen. It was glorious.

Hence my 1/4 star deduction.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Raziel said:

My working theory is Okada wins the G1 to get that record on his resume, then challenges Naito for the Title for Title.

Does he still have to defend the briefcase against anyone he loses to? Or do they get a title shot? Bit of a weird anomaly, but presumably he is losing to either SANADA and/or EVIL so it would come up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

I heard from some podcasts people that Mox is going to stay in NJPW way longer than most people think. Obviously no sources were provided, but I think it is likely that he is staying at least till WK.

Obviously if AEW are willing to pay all the moneys, then everyone understands. But it seems to me he left WWE so he could do....the kind of thing he's doing right now. Obviously NJPW have a budget, but I find it hard to imagine they aren't fairly pleased with what he's brought to the table. I'd be surprised if he leaves anytime soon.

I wonder if that Ishii/Goto match would have been more exciting for me on like Day 3. My reaction to it was basically, yup, this is what they do, what they do is good, and I'm not sad I watched it (borderline sad I watched White/Taichi), but I won't remember a thing about it tomorrow.

I do echo everything everyone's saying about Yano/Moxley. Terrific ending, and a very unfamiliar feeling of wishing a New Japan match was even longer.

I just go back and watch select tournament matches in a vacuum when I feel like it after it's over at a slow pace. I just follow it otherwise as results. I avoid burn out that way. Plus, I don't feel the need to watch stuff I don't want to see or that bombed.

Edited by Ryan

FTR this is Yano's only ever IWGP title shot.

9. [12.11.2011 @ Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium] Hiroshi Tanahashi besiegt Toru Yano (22:01) mit einem Texas Cloverleaf Hold (9th defense).