DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

One of Sanada or Evil can beat Okada and then Ibushi finally beats Okada last day of the block A matches. 

I think Archer is beating Okada tomorrow. They really seem to be setting up Archer for something big, especially considering how the Ibushi match ended with him eating the first Kamigoye and not going down. I can see him getting a title shot before Wrestle Kingdom after upsetting Okada in the G1.

• Like 2

Good matches on Night 10. I think Ishiii/Juice was my favorite. Finish looked killer and a great victory for Ishii. Juice has been impressive all throughout this. Thought Cobb/Taichi was pretty good stuff from both. Fun main event in Moxley/Naito.

So far behind (god damn addiction to Critical Role) but I'm starting to get in gear now. I am weird but I'm just starting Okada/Ospreay and I feel like Tanahashi vs. Archer was better than Tana's matches with Okada and KENTA and that KENTA's best match up to that point was vs. EVIL (great mean guys match!). The variety and freshness is real in this tournament and while it hasn't had as many high end matches through the Korakuen Hall run as '16 or '17, it is definitely a great tournament in its own right. That Tanahashi/Archer match was like a really high end Bret Hart/monster match from the mid '90s with Bret at his height. Unreal effort from both men.

I think the hype for Ishii/Mox got to me, so while I still really enjoyed it I didn't think it quite lived up to the hype. If I were to rewatch once I'm caught up I think I'd like it more on a second viewing as I'd have adjusted expectations. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen the most recent night yet but feel I need to re-watch Okada/KENTA to see if I like it better.  Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty good match.  But it was obvious from the opening bell that this was either going to go the whole 30 or close to it.  So that took me out of the match at times and I feel if they trimmed off a good 5-7 minutes I might have liked it better.  Again, I could be way off-base on this one but that was my takeaway from it.

But I will say that ZSJ's rant about Boris Johnson might be one of my highlights of the G1.  I know @The Natural wanted that and it delivered in a big way.  And holy crap that Homer clip just seals it.  I met him at a show and he was a wonderful person to chat with.  I feel if we had the chance to chat about politics (US and UK) we'd get along just fine.  And Moxley/Yano is coming up?  Sign me the fuck up for that because that's going to be delightful.

• Thanks 1

Just finished Ospreay/Okada. I really feel like after that last insane Rainmaker counter Will should've won it. Unless they're going all the way with Okada, Will should've beaten him with that Stormbreaker attempt. The crowd fucking lost it and it felt like the right time. Of course, it'll probably be better to save that for a bigger event rather than for it to get lost in the shuffle of the tournament. I don't know how they can top that sequence though. What a match tho.

Ibushi/SANADA was borderline great too and I'm glad they tried something different. 

edit: it's not going to happen, but oh how would I love Ibushi going for the OWA against Okada. ?

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

FYI: Tickets for the Lowell NJPW show are still available. Got one for $29 total, round trip bus to Boston will be $30 and commuter rail from then. Way cheaper than a tix to the Hammerstein show. Dear God I am praying Yano is on that show.

• Like 1

Block B has been eons better than last year and better than I thought it would be on paper. I'm only partway through the July 24th show and so far it has given us:

• Moxley/Ishii, while I don't think it was 5 stars, it was absolutely a great match. If you hate Moxley so much that you could not enjoy it, I don't know what to tell you. And how can you not get joy from his shtick with Shooter?
  • White/Goto from night 2 was super smart and some of each man's finest work.
  • Taichi/Naito was rad, though not quite as rad as their first non-young lion match back at TaichiTakamania 
  • White/Ishii was more fantastic stuff from both, with White making Ishii work extra hard to hit his signature offense
  • Shingo/Taichi a low key wonderful stiff-fest
  • I really enjoyed Goto using some of Shibata's offense against his old foe, Naito. That was a super match.
  • Moxley/Shingo was interesting to see Mox go for something a bit different with the legwork. Shingo did a very admirable job being the blunt force weapon on one leg. 

There are other good matches and I haven't even finished Naito vs. Ishii and those two never disappoint. Juice hasn't had anything less than very good matches the whole tournament and is selling his ass off. White and Taichi are brilliant character wrestlers whose "workrate" is starting to match their thematic greatness. Moxley is having the time of his life with this tournament and has had a renaissance since leaving WWE. Shingo and Ishii never have nights off and are straight ahead, no nonsense brawlers of the highest order with Ishii being a top 5 wrestler in the world for what 5 years now and Shingo is probably in that top 15-20 range. Yano is perfect in these tournaments to give his opponent a night off, entertain the crowd, and throw all sorts of spanners in the works. Goto's LA Dojo storyline is interesting and gives him something new to play with. I don't think I've enjoyed or appreciated Goto as much as I have this past year and a half dating back to the Suzuki match at the Dome (barring the G1 final against Kenny because that match is fuckin' legendary). The gulf in quality between the two blocks is surprisingly not nearly as big as I thought it would be. 

• Like 2

I have to admit that after that opening KENTA/Ibushi match I thought KENTA was washed, and no amount of being away from WWE would help that. So I've been especially happy to be enjoying him so much over these last few matches. Didn't think him vs. SANADA was a classic or anything, but KENTA really brought it as far as being a dick on offense in the first half.

Both that match and Okada/Archer I thought had a really great start, but could have used a little more in the comeback to make it a little more believable.

ZSJ/Ospreay was match of the night pretty handily for me. Still kinda wish Ospreay got a new personality, but he did really well here in spots using his agility to counter the mat stuff. Sabre just rules.

• Like 2

The return of Zacky Big Tekkers countering the flippy shit with all the mat wizardry. This, Tana/EVIL, Archer/Okada and KENTA/SANADA were all top shelf matches for a solid night 11.

Watching the prelim tags paid off big with the Mox/Yano interaction. Every bit of that was superb, and that roll up with the cash fluttering out of Yano's hand was something out of a Looney Tunes cartoon. I can't wait to see what they come up with for the Block match.

• Like 1

More great stuff from night 11. Ibushi looked good in another taking down the big guy victory. Was hoping Ospreay would go on more of a roll now but good stuff vs Sabre.  Dug Okada/Archer a lot, surprised to see Sanada pin KENTA, and almost thought Tanahashi/EVIL were going the 30.