DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 2019

Archibald

good main event between Okada and Ospreay that I feel some will rate higher than yesterday's main, breezy show and I can't majorly fault anything, that's my key word for this year, "breezy", everything feels so easy, last year got a bit laboured and intense around day 6. maybe it was the big gap between day 1 and 2.

Watched Mox / Ishii twice yesterday. It’s incredible. Ishii in G1 is a lock every single time. Best Moxley / Ambrose match in forever.

My only disappointment in Ospreay / Ibushi was that the Bomaye didn’t finish it. 

Also, KENTA is fucking awesome. I forgot that Punk and Bryan literally stole all his finishers. I forgot about the game over submission. I jumped off the couch when he transitioned into it and screamed at the tap. Is he sticking around NJPW long time? Because he’s awesome.

and ZSJ is a treasure.

• Like 4

giphy.gif

Night 7 easily the best night so far. Every G1 match tonight delivered something memorable. 

After looking like New Japan was starting to go into a modern slump following 2018, New Japan has shown during this G1 that they still have a full tank left in this generation, and beyond.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Watched Mox / Ishii twice yesterday. It’s incredible. Ishii in G1 is a lock every single time. Best Moxley / Ambrose match in forever.

My only disappointment in Ospreay / Ibushi was that the Bomaye didn’t finish it. 

Also, KENTA is fucking awesome. I forgot that Punk and Bryan literally stole all his finishers. I forgot about the game over submission. I jumped off the couch when he transitioned into it and screamed at the tap. Is he sticking around NJPW long time? Because he’s awesome.

and ZSJ is a treasure.

I really hope KENTA sticks around, he's definitely getting pushed hard right now (is he going to be the new Shibata for NJPW?) and I'd like to see him stay and keep riding this momentum.

Also, the G1 is easily my favorite time of year to be a wrestling fan. This tournament is such a blast.

Edited by #BlueJustice
  • Like 1

Ishii/Mox delivered and I and don't hate that table spot against Taichi that much any more, I get him a bit better now, I guess. Night 7 has some great stuff, but my favourite was probably KENTA/EVIL.

Cobb still does nothing for me. His spots are impressive, but I just don't care about his work when he is not doing big spots.

I think what surprised me most about Ishii-Moxley was after all the smoke and mirrors, the match in-ring was super too. Take for instance someone like Jericho - he comes in, great character work, big fight feel, brawl around, pose, get the heat, do some shit, big WOAH spot, but if you pick apart the work after halfway it is kind of south side of fine. I have no need to see Jericho's last three NJPW matches again.

Mox worked really well with Ishii. This might sound like a no-brainer but Moxley doesn't pattern his matches like NJPW regulars do and his style makes him look a bit more like a fighter/brawler (which is what he was going for in WWE and failing) who isn't there to work your pretty wrestling match boy. And yet it all just fell into place. And I got the feeling he loved it, I don't think him putting Ishii over in the promo was a false note of flattery.

Edited by sevendaughters
  • Like 2

I will never figure out how Matanza had so much presence and physical charisma while wearing a mask and full jumpsuit, but Jeff Cobb just doesn't.  It's jarring. 

They can't possibly be the same person, but here we are. 

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 10:33 AM, Archibald said:

And I like ZSJ so on one hand it hurts to see him go 0-3, but his childish tantrums after each loss more than make up for it. I like when he wins and I like when he loses.

I'm on night 5, what's the story behind ZSJ saying if he wins he'd cash in In August instead of WK

33 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I'm on night 5, what's the story behind ZSJ saying if he wins he'd cash in In August instead of WK

He’s become super cocky, and childish to the point he’s been making extremely bold predictions that aren’t coming true. The UK show, Royal Quest, is in August.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

I am way behind but skipped ahead to watch Ospreay/Ibushi and holy hell was it good, in my opinion. I didn't listen to/read spoilers in advance and I will admit it was hard to watch in points. At one point Kevin Kelly just says "Jesus" on a head drop and the tone of the announcing gets a bit more serious, a bit more pleading for certain spots to end the match. That added to the anxiety I was feeling on some of these bumps. That coupled with the actual work and the times Ospreay got his comeuppance for being a little cocky prick and the sigh I was able to let out at the end of the match really created something that hit every box in my head. 

The end to ZSJ/Fale was hilarious. 

It seemed like there was a fair amount of out-the-ring stuff in all these matches except Ibushi/Sanada, which to me felt like an endless series of reversals, like you could set it in fast forward to circus music. Also, Korakuen was REALLY split as to all the wrestlers and who they were supporting. They even cheered Archer and booed KENTA! 

I'm sure everyone on here is gonna like Okada/Ospreay so I'll leave you to it

9 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Become?

He'd just rather have the title match in England because he thinks he has more chance of winning there. That's where he beat Okada before.

He's gotten worse since TAKA is out.  TAKA kept him in check.

Zack's out smarting of Fale and the entire BC his last match was great though- I half expect him to pull a BUSHI special this year.

sometimes think if you're not going to win then it would be more productive to having a losing streak in the G1, providing you bring the fire in the matches. Ishii only got 2 pins in G1 23 (beat Goto by forfeit, I think he might have lost that), Honma in 24/25 got 1 win total, then the last go-arounds for Tenzan and Nagata (and presumably Kojima) were great stuff.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:44 AM, Custos said:

I haven’t heard Kaze Ni Nare for a while, they seem to dub over some themes all the time on NJPW World English stream so I wasn’t sure if it was a music rights issue. 

Noticed this live @ Ota - Suzuki had been coming out to the Suzuki-gun theme song in the tag matches, but when he scored a fall they played Kaze Ni Nare.

Remember in January people including me thought that Omega not being involved with New Japan was going to hurt them, Don't get me wrong , he was killing it all the way up till end but, him leaving lead to other people stepping up. Also alot of his Elite buddies didn't really fit in New Japan. People felt like AEW would be the better company to partner with than current  ROH but other than Omega and maybe the Lucha Bros, I dont see anyone else would fit.