DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

22 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Dramatic much?

What "long-term damage" has Ryan's ridiculous signature spot done to our beloved sport of kings?  Are there major wrestling promotions that are just absolutely teeming with cock-based maneuvers due to the influence of that awful Joey Ryan? 

I hit the post button as @Craig H was posting.  Apologies for any repetitive content.

Thank you for not posting a wall of stupid like Craig did. I might disagree with you, but I can at least appreciate what you are trying to say. Craig just went every where and was not really coherent. It ended with something about a guy with Aids blading and not informing people he works with. I'm not sure why he thinks I or anyone else would approve of that. 

The damage is cumulative, Ryan alone cannot do anything, but he has become the face of the mediocre indy talent eating shit to get attention. Over a decade ago and before, the indy scene was a real alternative to WWE and TNA. But now you see an arms race between WWE and various indy hucksters desperate for attention. So no they are not all doing sexual spots, since Ryan has that market cornered. But you get other stupid shit that hurts wrestling and frankly it is already in very bad shape. 

I want AEW to succeed, WWE getting a true rival would benefit everyone. Because things are in a hole and this could pull us out, but not if they book every indy freakshow.

2 minutes ago, Victator said:

Thank you for not posting a wall of stupid like Craig did. I might disagree with you, but I can at least appreciate what you are trying to say. Craig just went every where and was not really coherent. It ended with something about a guy with Aids blading and not informing people he works with. I'm not sure why he thinks I or anyone else would approve of that. 

The damage is cumulative, Ryan alone cannot do anything, but he has become the face of the mediocre indy talent eating shit to get attention. Over a decade ago and before, the indy scene was a real alternative to WWE and TNA. But now you see an arms race between WWE and various indy hucksters desperate for attention. So no they are not all doing sexual spots, since Ryan has that market cornered. But you get other stupid shit that hurts wrestling and frankly it is already in very bad shape. 

I want AEW to succeed, WWE getting a true rival would benefit everyone. Because things are in a hole and this could pull us out, but not if they book every indy freakshow.

Did Dr Dirty John Valby destroy music concerts in America? Did Judge Dread destroy the genre of reggae? Did Andrew Dice Clay or Buddy Hackett destroy stand up comedy? You don't have to like Joey Ryan or his act but saying he's destroying wrestling is pretentious nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I actually fucking loved Pat for his response to all that.

Like I don't give a fuck about his commentary skill or lack thereof I don't watch the show.  But him telling Michael Cole to go fuck himself and momentarily shutting down WWE's backstage petty bitch culture and everyone having to apologize to him is priceless.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 5

And if you want to see the type of thing that REALLY hurts indy wrestling go check out the tweet in the ROH thread by a woman claiming (and I think she is very credible) one of their wrestlers behaving in a shoot sleazy and disgusting manner.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

When a bunch of people were getting mad at Michael Cole for chewing out Pat McAfee when he wore shorts with a suit at work I couldn't really get my head around it, like how would any reasonable person not think that McAfee deserved to be fired into the sun for that

"It's a wrestling show, so who cares" is a case a reasonable person would make. Sure, it's WrestleMania. But if they brought in outside talent without giving him specific instructions on a strict dress code, can they be shocked that he decided to choose something on brand for himself?

McAfee is a douche so it was funny to point and laugh. But it's not crazy to suggest that's not a dismissal-worth offense (I don't know if he's employed there or not; don't care either). 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Just now, sabremike said:

And if you want to see the type of thing that REALLY hurts indy wrestling go check out the tweet in the ROH thread by a woman claiming (and I think she is very credible) one of their wrestlers behaving in a shoot sleazy and disgusting manner.

You can just generalize that to say "what REALLY hurts indy wrestling is RoH since hiring Bubba", although it's possible it's gong back further to when Sinclair bought them out depending on what was true about the Lethal/Hendrix thing.  Then there's pretty much CZW and XPW before it trying to out ECW ECW.  Ryan's hardly the first person in wrestling to do something tasteless and crass to get attention and draw money.

5 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

"It's a wrestling show, so who cares" is a case a reasonable person would make. Sure, it's WrestleMania. But if they brought in outside talent without giving him specific instructions on a strict dress code, can they be shocked that he decided to choose something on brand for himself?

McAfee is a douche so it was funny to point and laugh. But it's not crazy to suggest that's not a dismissal-worth offense (I don't know if he's employed there or not; don't care either). 

Oh yeah no, I'm not saying he should have been fired for violating WWE etiquette or whatever, I'm literally saying he should have been killed for choosing to wear shorts with a suit

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Oh yeah no, I'm not saying he should have been fired for violating WWE etiquette or whatever, I'm literally saying he should have been killed for choosing to wear shorts with a suit

Oh, I misunderstood. You're absolutely right. If WWE wants to fire him out of a literal canon, I would be fine with that.

• Like 1

Guys, I don't mind, and kind of like comedy wrestling. Have seen some pretty fun stuff in Chikara and in different indies, and it really didn't bother me about it being in the context of a wrestling show. But from what I've seen, Orange Cassidy is just...stupid. Where's the Randy Orton STUPID STUPID STUPID gif when I need it? Lol. Seriously. I'm pretty openminded about the evolving of comedy and  entertainment in pro wrestling, but I think Orange Cassidy is my breaking point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like him, but hey, different strokes. I think possibly his whole deal works best in the context of an indie show with lots of Johnny Kickpads guys being all intense and stiff and serious, and then suddenly the least intense guy in the biz shows up and works ridiculously light, and it's a massive contrast. Just seeing him in isolation, maybe not getting the full effect.

What I was getting at with the 20 guys and 30 minutes, was nobody actually likes Battle Royals and promoters should stop booking them. More six man tags instead please.

• Like 2

I would do a LETHAL LOTTERY FIVE MAN ELIMINATION TAG MATCH.

You end up getting 4 teams - 2 matches. Two Teams win and we promise that at the next show those two teams will face off for a big bag containing 25,000 dollars. And you have the president of the company reveal a giant money sack with a dollar sign painted on it.

This way we get one story of random team members, heels and faces, having to get along for one night AND everyone gets on the show. Then in the build to the next show we can run stories on how they're trying to get more cohesive in the leadup to the Big Sack of Money Match. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Guys, I don't mind, and kind of like comedy wrestling. Have seen some pretty fun stuff in Chikara and in different indies, and it really didn't bother me about it being in the context of a wrestling show. But from what I've seen, Orange Cassidy is just...stupid. Where's the Randy Orton STUPID STUPID STUPID gif when I need it? Lol. Seriously. I'm pretty openminded about the evolving of comedy and  entertainment in pro wrestling, but I think Orange Cassidy is my breaking point. 

I think it also depends what you watch.  I watched him against Gentlemen Jervis and it was a straight comedy match and it made sense in that context with him falling asleep and Jervis trying to pin him with a pillow and blanket and it was all very silly and clearly not to be taken seriously.  But I also saw a match of his against Kay Lee Ray where it starts out with the gimmick and silliness (There was a thumb war...) but then kicks into gear and turns serious and he’s actually not bad as an actual wrestler either so it makes sense in that context.  But I could see where a lot of it or him using the lackadaisical stuff against a serious opponent would be weird

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I would do a LETHAL LOTTERY FIVE MAN ELIMINATION TAG MATCH.

You end up getting 4 teams - 2 matches. Two Teams win and we promise that at the next show those two teams will face off for a big bag containing 25,000 dollars. And you have the president of the company reveal a giant money sack with a dollar sign painted on it.

This way we get one story of random team members, heels and faces, having to get along for one night AND everyone gets on the show. Then in the build to the next show we can run stories on how they're trying to get more cohesive in the leadup to the Big Sack of Money Match. 

And then what you get from that is wrestler a blaming wrestler b for not carrying their weight or being responsible for losing and then you get a feud from that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And then what you get from that is wrestler a blaming wrestler b for not carrying their weight or being responsible for losing and then you get a feud from that.

And you get a second feud when the bad guy who was the last survivor for his team, wins the 25,000 dollars and doesn't want to split it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Does he only wrestle as Orange Cassidy these days? Or he still also work as [redacted]?

This just makes it look like he's wrestling as Chris Benoit and not really being Super Dragon this whole time.

Edited by Tromatagon
tee hee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

And you get a second feud when the bad guy who was the last survivor for his team, wins the 25,000 dollars and doesn't want to split it. 

He ends up buying a brand new Honda Civic, and acquiring the services of Sonny Ono. Flaunting his new toy at every show.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Hypothetical: You're running a wrestling show. You've got 30 minutes to fill, and there's 20 guys in the back. Do you book one Battle Royal, or three trios matches and a promo leading to a brawl? Or a ten minute tag plus a bunch of sausages? Squashes. Not sausages. Or send 18 guys home and have the two best workers use all the time having the best possible singles match?

20 man battle royal.

Final 8 then split into 2 teams of 4.

Winning team split into 2 teams of 2.

Winning team has a ladder match for a title shot.

The other 15 minutes would be the heel owner cutting a promo about how the fans all smell funny and make him sick.

New Day vs. KO/Sami has been announced for SDL tonight

And that made me realize that Kofi flew to Ghana, flew back yesterday to Texas and then is immediately flying to Saudi Arabia after SDL