DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Are we arguing the definition of ‘a lot’?  It seem to me that it was getting a lot of attention, buzz, chatter.  That isn’t to say it was a mainstream success, but rather wrestling fans some familiar and some unfamiliar with the international market were made aware of Kenny.  

We could split hairs about the definition of "attention" too. I don't remember a single person speaking about it who wasn't already deep in the wrestling bubble or obliged to by their working for TSN.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Ooooor we could get Michael Cole in Tony Schiavone's denim outfit. I am rethinking this. 

I'm thinking of how they could merge that concept with the KSA shows for the ultimate wrestling hell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if this is why Jazz dropped the NWA Women's Title and "retired". Pretty fishy. I've seen very little of Ivelisse, just some stuff from Lucha Underground, but I'm pumped about that. Teal Piper seems like a good talker from that brief promo, but it was just her reciting her Dad's famous line. But it didn't feel forced, so that's a good thing, felt natural.

Of course Jake Roberts smokes Kools. Of course.

• Haha 1

Again, I feel real bad for saying it, but man Marvez comes off as the biggest fucking dork. I'm sorry, but he just doesn't belong. Comparatively, Marvez makes Jim Ross look like Brad fucking Pitt.

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Problem is he's buds with Tony Khan IIRC so he likely isn't going anywhere any time fast.

He’s probably the biggest barometer for nepotism in the company, along with Brandi Rhodes. How prominently they are featured and in what roles will show to what extent they’re genuinely making the best business decisions or if there are some blind spots due to familiarity or outright favouritism.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Are you sure there isn't at least one person hired to AEW that you wouldn't like to watch bikers pitch gravel at? 

I'd rather see the wrestlers pitch gravel at the bikers- or bring in LA Park and have him beat them all up.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, alstein said:

I'd rather see the wrestlers pitch gravel at the bikers- or bring in LA Park and have him beat them all up.

MLW needs to run Sturgis, so bikers can throw gravel at Contra and see how that works out.

Jazz looks like so much more of a bad ass without hair. That's an awesome look for her.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Custos said:

He’s probably the biggest barometer for nepotism in the company, along with Brandi Rhodes. How prominently they are featured and in what roles will show to what extent they’re genuinely making the best business decisions or if there are some blind spots due to familiarity or outright favouritism.

I'm fine with him being stashed away for studio updates. He can slowly keep practicing behind the scenes if they are really set on him being a commentator but he's not going to cut it on national, weekly television as is. Commentary, unless you're a savant or an all time great talker, is incredibly difficult to take to and it probably takes years for most to do well in the role.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2019 at 7:19 PM, alstein said:

I could see Denver being a good spot- wasn't that traditionally a great wrestling town, and fairly progressive (And I think AEW does better in left-leaning areas)

Denver has three separate lucha feds which run basically monthly and fly in luchadores from Mexico

11 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

Denver has three separate lucha feds which run basically monthly and fly in luchadores from Mexico

I have been slowly getting into Lucha through the CMLL YouTube feed and the AAA Twitch feed and I must say I am appreciating the self incubated nature of Lucha. There's Lucha companies all over the U.S. that draw big but if you are not in that loop you would never know that they are running in your city or town.