DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Modern promotions need to learn that not every show needs to go 4 hours.  Keep them wanting more.

3 hours max would have been perfect. Actually, no, 3 hours max would be great, 2:45 to 2:30 would be about perfect especially when you already had a 30 minute pre-show.

I'm actually debating on whether or not to start watching the Evolve show tonight because of how long it might run.

Everyone just needs to stop with the marathon shows. I wouldn't have a problem with 3 shows running about 4 hours a year, but everything else needs to be under 3. And even that's generous.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Seeing the Aja-Awesome staredown was cool, but was I the only one thinking "They flew Aja in from Japan and gave her a payday to not touch anyone?" Nice work if you can get it.

Aja has either had surgery recently or will have surgery soon. She won't be wrestling again until late August.

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

3 hours max would have been perfect. Actually, no, 3 hours max would be great, 2:45 to 2:30 would be about perfect especially when you already had a 30 minute pre-show.

I'm actually debating on whether or not to start watching the Evolve show tonight because of how long it might run.

Everyone just needs to stop with the marathon shows. I wouldn't have a problem with 3 shows running about 4 hours a year, but everything else needs to be under 3. And even that's generous.

I'm going with Night 2 of the G1 after Fight for the Fallen. I'm watching the replay since I was at the Bouncing Souls/Mighty Mighty Bosstones show.

• Like 1

By the way anyone that says that black is a slimming color hasn't seen Chris Jericho.  Man it is bad enough he comes off like a drunk now he looks like a drunk who ate all the nachos as well.  But he is playing mostly a brawler now so it is fine

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

There was no reason for that main event to go over 30 minutes. It was unbearably stretched out. Not going to be dramatic and call it a dud, but the fans were clearly tired and uncomfortable by that point. Stretching out the match that long was ill-advised. 

I mean the stage and venue did look cool on TV. Those elements came off well. 

OK, they don't need a three-man announce team. Not to mention, JR went full on Walter on Alex "Donny" Marvez. Like JR was being openly hostile toward Marvez. Not that Marvez was some bastion of quality tonight, but what was up with JR going off on him when Marvez pointed out that Rhodes was wrestling after getting cut by that chair shot last month? Like I could practically hear JR fuming whenever Marvez opened his mouth.

So definitely get Marvez out of there. Just have him do backstage interviews. The three-man team is a mistake and just sounded too crowded. 

Positives:   Venue looked awesome,   Omega vs. CIMA had some great stuff in it,  A boy and his dinosaur,  Jericho beating down Hangman and his promo burying the fans.  Lucha Bros.

Negatives:  I really don't like the women's division they have going right now.  There's a few performers I'd keep but I'd scrap the rest, it's bad.   Also,  Dark Order did some cool stuff but their look is fucking lame,  they need some new gear pronto.  The Young Bucks haven't really done anything to get me excited for them at the top of the tag division but I have liked them on BTE.  

• Like 1

I'm enjoying Evil Uno embracing his horrible look tbh. He's an old school villain and he shouldn't look cool. His "gross" look suits his character of being a mean son of a bitch. Grayson does look way too much like Mini Rowe though for sure. Despite that, I really did love their touch on the match and they have fuckin' Putties!

Edited by Oyaji

Didn't see the whole show yet. LOVED the venue though. This place could be their Center Stage. Doing monthly tv shots here would take some of the pressure off of finding suitable sized venues on a weekly basis.

• Like 1

-Echoing the sentiments of everyone else. The venue looked great and really made the show better. infinit had the right idea:this could be their center stage. And whoever had the idea to bring back the ramp for the entrances, you are my hero. I loved when WCW had this on their shows and it makes for cool spots like when Cody dove over the ropes onto Jackson. One big plus for AEW is that their shows look different.

-I'm a huge mark for Jericho and his beatdown on Page(excuse me, "The Hangman")was aces, but how long was he at the bar between that segment and his promo? Dude just looked unhealthy and out of it.

-There was a very good 15-20 minute match somewhere in that 30 minute main event. As much as I hate the Bucks, being the smug douchebags fits them so much better then when they try to be good guys. Dustin continues to be leagues better then dudes half his age and he brings out the best in Cody.

-MJF is so so good at eing an unlikeable prick. The second he walks through the curtain you just want to punch this asshole in the face. More of this, please.

-The librarians are still stupid but there was so much less bullshit on the preshow this time around.

-The three man booth definitely isn't working. And MAN was Jim Ross salty about all things Marvez. Its worth at least an experiment of trying Excalibur(who is great) and Ross by themselves and letting Alex do backstage interviews. And it also would help give a different feel from WWE, because let's face it, no one wants three man booths anywhere anymore.(unless you have an occasional guest commentator)

-I wasn't crazy about Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus but damn if they haven't clicked with the crowd. Could do a lot worse then building these guys up to a tag title run.

-For an "event" show, this was just ok. But if this was an episode of their TV show, I think it would be received a lot better. You can tell they are still tweaking things and trying to find the best formula. In time, they will get rid of amateur hour bullshit like the ending and find a footing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nofuture said:

Sorry Shawn Spears, there's only one Chairman in wrestling, and it's not you.

They can always do a bring in LA Park to do a Spears feud next year  for TV.

The show tonight was a bit understandably sloppy, but I felt it was their best show.   Lot of good stuff, though you have to fast forward through the Brandi crap.

I thought it was a good show but I had a couple gripes. 

Like everyone else, I thought the announcing was pretty bad here. If theyre insistent on a three man booth, then Marvez has to go. Get Mike Tenay or Tony Schiavone or something, or get Golden boy in there full time. Kip Sabian was great in there on the last show. Or think outside the box and make Punk an offer. Anything would be an improvement.

My other big problem is with the timing issues. They HAVE to tighten that shit up. Everything after the main event was bush league as hell.

The 1-800-Lawyers sponsorship was the other thing that made it feel super small time. It reminded me of TNA running ads for car loans and Gretchen Wilson records on their apron. 

I also loved that venue and hope it becomes a home base too. Its interesting to think of them running ampatheaters elsewhere in the future. Might be a good source of untapped mid sized venues. 

• Like 2